1 (edited by Cadillac Bob 2010-03-10 07:51 AM)

Topic: Are entry fees refundable if you wreck the car?

This may sound silly, but I can't find an answer on the forums...

We're planning on entering the Denver and Omaha races; Denver will be our first Lemons race.  Assuming we were accepted for (and paid for) the Omaha race, but then destroyed the car in Denver (could happen; hope not!) would we be eligible for a refund?  Or would we be hosed?

-Bob

(edit) I don't mean the entry fee for the race in which the car was wrecked; just future races, obviously.

If it ain't broken, fix it 'til it is.

Re: Are entry fees refundable if you wreck the car?

6 weeks to rebuild a car?

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

I think you'd be better off emailing this directly to Nick or Jay for an answer. This is the timeline of your hypothetical, right?

1. Get accepted for Denver.
2. Pay for Denver.
3. Get accepted for Omaha.
4. Pay for Omaha.
5. Race at Denver and get wrecked out, car a total loss.
6. Get back monies for Omaha?

When you get the word from Nick, please report back so that the rest of us will know the SOP in that situation. Cheers.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

I've always wondered the same thing.  The time between races would make it tough, but the cost of building a new car would kill most teams including ours.  In our case, there is little chance we could find another 35-40 year old $500 Z car in the midwest, but even if we did, we couldn't afford to pay for a new cage and all the other prep it takes to get a car on the track for the first time.

We have been hessitant to sign up for multiple races where the fees are due for the second before the first race takes place.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

We have similar concerns.

I am less concerned we would wreck the car so bad it was totaled but a trashed motor or something would be a big set back.

Unfortunately, LeMon's does have a pretty clear No Refund policy.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

I would imagine that if your team is full of "good guys" (haven't pissed off the judges or made your presence known to Jay in any negative way), and you asked nicely WELL IN ADVANCE of the race, you could probably have your fees transferred to a later race.  I doubt they'll give a refund, but maybe future race credit.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

Troy wrote:

I am less concerned we would wreck the car so bad it was totaled but a trashed motor or something would be a big set back.

But even an engine...  Go find one, rebuild the one you have, or even better, find a V8 swap.  6 weeks is a lot of time to get a car back together.

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

Technically, you're buying the spot to race, not the right to race.  I think this would fall under the, "Well, you couldn't get it together in time, so tough stuff..."

There's something about it in the rules, but I'm too lazy to look it up right now.

That leaves you these options:
1.Sell your spot to some other starry-eyed team.
2.Get it together and race, man!
3.Call or write Jay directly and see if there's some way to get out with your money.  He's a softie.

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing
"That's probably wrong, but it's worth a shot."

Agreed, 6 weeks is a lot of time.. but '65 Marlins don't exactly grow on trees, and if we WERE to totally ball it up, there's no way we could AFFORD to cage a new car.  The time's not really the issue, just the money. 'Specially if we were already out a grand.

Mulry:  Correct, that's our plan/timetable.

From the horse's mouth (Jay's):

"Personally, my feeling is if you can't rebuild ANYTHING in six weeks, you just ain't trying that hard...."

IOW, you're boned.  That's OK..  maybe my super-secret second project will be ready for Omaha, just in case!

I see Jays point.  Ive got 3 months and I dont think I can finish the car Im building.  But could I build a car in 6 weeks, yep.  It wouldnt be the car Id want to do but I could toss something together in 6 weeks if needed.

But as you've noted, there is then the additional expense of another cage, etc

Best bet...dont roll it.  As long as you keep it rubber side down the cage should be in tact and anything else should be fixable.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

A spare cheapy with just a cage would be an option so you don't lose your spot. Find some team that registered to late to buy your spot or just whore you team out on the corner of Main Street to fund the new car.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

I see Bob's point about not having to put a cage in a second car - It can be expensive.  I do my own cages it's only a few hunderd in materials so it's no big deal for me. 

On the other hand - who knows how expensive repairs are going to be if the car gets wadded up.

Two weeks before Feb 09, I took our car out for practice and testing.

The motor locked-up!

We fixed it in time for the race.

We keep talking about a spare engine.  Sooner or later I will put one together.

We already carry spare transmissions and clutches.

Some cars are easier to find parts for than others but finding good parts versus bad parts is a whole different story.

If we flat totaled the chassis, we would be screwed.

We just need some extra cars.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy wrote:

Two weeks before Feb 09, I took our car out for practice and testing.

The motor locked-up!

We fixed it in time for the race.

We keep talking about a spare engine.  Sooner or later I will put one together.

We already carry spare transmissions and clutches.

Some cars are easier to find parts for than others but finding good parts versus bad parts is a whole different story.

If we flat totaled the chassis, we would be screwed.

We just need some extra cars.

15 hours before the start of lamest day we locked up our motor

fixed it and gave everybody a 12 hour head start

Its all just nuts and bolts

This time we have extra motors, transmissions ect  and two "cars"

It Ain't My Fault

Woodstock and friends did a heck of a job.  We were parked across from them and every time I looked over, it looked more dire.  There's nothing like trying to rebuild an engine in the mud during a rainstorm.  The sad thing is, even with a 12 hour headstart, they still beat us by a few laps in the end.  Our troubles came four hours into the race and lasted all through the wee hours.

BTW, thanks for the use of your welder to help get us back on track.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584