Topic: Windshield wiper motor delete

I've been thinking about "adding lightness" to my theoretical racer and thinking about things that I can safely delete. The windshield wiper system is one item that has been a particular concern. The mechanism for the two wipers is ungainly, under a hood that's already excessively crowded. One wiper is all that you really need.

I couldn't figure out how to do this and still stay within Lemons safety requirements. Then I came across this post. Perfect! If squeegee-wielding children are allowed, surely this is.

Of course, for better visibility, I'd use really heavy duty fishing line instead of rope. What could possibly go wrong?

Re: Windshield wiper motor delete

Wipers are not required.  Rain-X is your friend.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

We used Rain-X on Sunday at Gator-O-Rama. Worked good above 60mph. During cautions the speed was too low for the water to bead off the windshield.

4 (edited by Mulry 2010-03-12 08:02 AM)

The miniscule amount of time that you save by removing that pound of weight will be offset by a magnitude of time in the penalty box if you have an off and penalty because you couldn't see the track properly. Especially if it happens during an all-course yellow, which happens more frequently in heavy rains. IMHO, that math don't add up, and as a result, my MR2 still has both wipers. YMMV. Good luck.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Why stop with removing the wipers?  Take out the windshield, roof and other extras.

Not all who wander are lost.

saturday at stafford last year ended with a big downpour.  we had done the wiper removal and rain-x/defogger on the windshield did nothing.  driver couldn't see crap.  good thing they called it early for the night or he woulda ended up in the wall

The only time we've ever had to use our wipers was after our car was knocked off the track and spun out in a huge cloud of dirt and dust. The entire windshield was covered in dirt, and we wouldn't have made it back on the track if not for the wipers. They're staying on the car.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

At T-Hill someone went 4 wheels off and splattered bits of mud on our windshield. Our driver hit the wipers and watched the harmless dirty bits get smeared into a nice tan layer of "@#$% where did the track go".

Wipers without washers are not always a good thing.

Adding to the drama, our wiper linkage is jacked and the 3 blades (THREE!) barely move, taking 15 seconds or so to do one swipe. So he got to see the upcoming blindness arrive in agonizing slow motion detail!

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

I went with a lexan windshield, so we don't use them.  rain-x isn't strong enough, I used Meguiars to wax it inside and out.

the Syndicate - 30 losses and counting ...
89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

"Sparky" Pete wrote:

At T-Hill someone went 4 wheels off and splattered bits of mud on our windshield. Our driver hit the wipers and watched the harmless dirty bits get smeared into a nice tan layer of "@#$% where did the track go".

Wipers without washers are not always a good thing.

Adding to the drama, our wiper linkage is jacked and the 3 blades (THREE!) barely move, taking 15 seconds or so to do one swipe. So he got to see the upcoming blindness arrive in agonizing slow motion detail!

Ugh.

I meant this mostly in jest, and mostly because the wiper assemblies get in the way of access to the rear spark plugs. (Ok, everything gets in the way of everything else in said engine compartment.)

Your point about washers is well taken. That leads me to a question. If you're going to have a removable hood, where do you relocate the washers to - the fenders?

cbustapeck wrote:

Ugh.

I meant this mostly in jest, and mostly because the wiper assemblies get in the way of access to the rear spark plugs. (Ok, everything gets in the way of everything else in said engine compartment.)

Your point about washers is well taken. That leads me to a question. If you're going to have a removable hood, where do you relocate the washers to - the fenders?

You could do like some malaise era cars did, and mount them directly to the wipers.

I LOVE the Meguiars wax idea!!

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

The '09 Lamest Day's Friday practice is a perfect reason to not only keep the wipers, but make sure they work properly.  It rained like crazy all day and night.  We got rid of the steering column stalks, so we replaced the wiper switch with a toggle to turn them on to high speed.  They no longer autopark, but that's not really a problem.  Along those lines, we did the same thing with the HVAC system.  We have no dash, so the cables and control panel are gone.  Since the race was in October and rain was likely, we locked the heater box on defrost and full hot, then we used a toggle switch to turn the fan on to high speed.  This could also be used in case the engine gets too hot.  The driver suffers, but it adds cooling capacity.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

go old school with the hand operated wiper

your hands won't be too busy with anything else, right?

the weight saved on wipers could be negated by taking a large dump before the race.

better to have them since we race in rain too.

Formerly an asshole driving an Infinity
Now just another cock with a Porsche
Chief bad decision maker of Team Lowbrau

http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/ato0037l.jpg

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

OK my reply is two fold...

We raced Toledo a few years ago with a lexan windsheild and Rain-X worked VERY well.  Didn't have a problem with visability.

But on the other paw we ran Nelson with a new car WITH wipers and that was so much better.  My advice is to just leave the wipers in, the small amount of weight is more then worth it when the car in front of you sprays your windscreen at 80MPH.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

can you run wipers with lexan? My understanding is that it would scat ch it up.

89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

It will, but maybe more important, unless the Lexan is very thick and/or backed up with lots of bracing, the windshield will distort a little in the wind, and it can be hard to get a consistent sweep....of course the wiper will refuse to make contact directly in the driver's line of sight...I've known very weight conscious rally guys who run glass for this reason.

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

i ran lexan because a new windshield was 3 bones and this was 50.  guess we are just going to keep waxing it!  It is braced though, I have two vertical bars behind it.

50 is cheap for a PC windshield....used glass is about half the price of Lexan up here...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

whole sheet was a hunksy, only used half.