Topic: Cage question.. spreader plates yes/no?

We are in the process of fabing up our roll cage. We recently got a good close up inspection of an ARCA series Monte Carlo. The 'Carlo's cage was welded directly to the frame.. No Spreader Plates! We are running a '79 Malibu with a full frame.

Question:
Can we weld our cage directly to the frame, or must we weld to a spreader plate, then weld the spreader plate to the frame

'ported, relieved, with bored-out arm rests, and oversize seat covers.

Re: Cage question.. spreader plates yes/no?

I imagine you can weld directly to a frame.  For an official response email Jay or Nick.

On a unibody I am sure you will need spreader plates.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Spreader plates are just smart - no matter what the official word is.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

At the Searspointless Race the Firburger Lincoln cage was welded directly to frame. I build a bunch of desert trucks and rockcrawlers.which we weld directly to frame .

The Factor is bodies have bushings. What I done is weld plates to where the tubing comes thru body .

You need to tie the cage to the body I also run plates between the cage and A-pillar.

Also the body will be making all sorts of noise and move around if you don't tie them together.

I attached the seats and belts to the cage and not the body.

Best would be to take pics and send to Nick and Jay.

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!