Topic: getting started

I'm interested in getting started Lemons racing. I have a (from what i've been told) appropriate car. 86 vw gti paid $500.00 for it a few years ago then used as a daily driver, been sitting a year. What i dont have is money/drivers/crew. Any sugestions

allym

Re: getting started

Where are you located?  You would be amazed at the number of like-minded wierdos that are nearby.  Post something in Craigslist, that would get you replies.  If you have any autocrosses scheduled nearby, make an appearance and start mentioning your plans.

We have run a GTI in two races so far.  First race we melted the front pads MULTIPLE times in two days.  My number one recommendation is to beef up the brakes and add air ducting.  Second race we finished 2nd.  We will try again in May, if the judges will have us back!!!

#508 Team SOB
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!

Thank you. Very good sugestions. I'm in NJ so would be looking at Hartford in July for my first race.

I believe the GTI has been raced before i got it as i aquired it from a small shop that does race modifications/restorations on classic minis. some odd modifications and the extra set of flat spotted tires  being a clue

Here abouts in NJ?  We have a few teams here in the garden state. 

Misfit Toys is located in South Jersey, with teammates spread all around.

We'll be going to summit not Hartford though (unless we dont get the car finished)

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Im up in Sussex County. Know of any teams up here?

I know there was a team or 2 up north but I dont have their details.  They post here from time to time so hopefully they will come across this.

OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."

after some/much marital disusion i have been talked out of the whole race team thing. to little time- no money but that still leaves me with needing to find a proper last home for a 86 VW GTI. my last car gave its all under a monster truck "bunny fufu" deserves to go out in LeMon glory. car is located in northest new jersey so if anyone nows of a team looking for a car please let me know.

allym wrote:

after some/much marital disusion i have been talked out of the whole race team thing. to little time- no money but that still leaves me with needing to find a proper last home for a 86 VW GTI. my last car gave its all under a monster truck "bunny fufu" deserves to go out in LeMon glory. car is located in northest new jersey so if anyone nows of a team looking for a car please let me know.

You can pay to race on a team that needs drivers. That's cheaper than starting a team. Then if you really like it, do nothing but talk Lemons racing 24/7 to the wife til she caves.....:)

sergio wrote:

do nothing but talk Lemons racing 24/7 to the wife til she caves.....:)

This worked for me.  I started irritating her with pix and videos over the winter when she couldn't escape the house.  Sending her on a vacation with her girlfriend's doesn't hurt either.

Team Merikuh
Omaha '10 wussed out, lost too many drivers sad
"Simplify, then add Awesome"

Thank you for the sugestions. I think i'll start by draging my husband up to Hartford this summer

allym wrote:

Thank you for the sugestions. I think i'll start by draging my husband up to Hartford this summer

Bring him to some events, I dont see how he could not be interested after witnessing the um...spectacle...in person.

In the interim if you want something to do with that VW might I suggest the BABE rally  (That's Big Apple to Big Easy, nothing to do with hot chicks)

www.baberally.com

Its a fun trip and if you drag him along there are a few of us that do both events so we'll be happy to talk his ear off about Lemons for you until he caves in wink

Of course we're having a workday on the car tomorrow too if the 2 of you wanted to come down and hang out with some crazies and see if we cant inspire his interest.

What condidtion is the car in and how much are you looking to get for it?

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

14 (edited by allym 2010-03-20 03:31 PM)

100,001+ hard miles on an 86 vw gti "may" have seen some "racing' miles before me. i used it as a daily driver for 2 years but shes been sitting in the driveway for a year. was running when i parked it the price is right for a team willing to give her a good final home. even better if i can be part of the team(how ever small)

did i mention i paid slightly less than 500.00 when i bought it