76 (edited by ecugrad 2010-02-14 07:32 AM)

Re: Cmp Southern Discomfort-Post a brief synopsis of your weekend.

Buzz Killington wrote:

i find this hard to believe.  there are plenty of STS-class autoXers making 120whp+ with bolt-ons and a megasquirt shoved in the stock ECU case.  plenty of CSP-class autoxers are making 150+whp on stock internals/head.  it would not be that hard to get 130whp out of a covertly-modded 1.6L.

CSP cars are running the 99+ 1.8L  Apples and Oranges
STS cars are running things that would get sniffed out very quickly by the Judges

Check this out
http://www.megasquirtpnp.com/models/mm9 … omparo.htm

That's a full blown ITA Miata build and it makes 124 whp, most of that 130hp would get sniffed out quickly by the judges.  We are racing dynos here (I think the one I was on was tight) but this

Buzz Killington wrote:

that said, they drove cleanly, so i don't really care if they are cheatin'.  that's why we have Jonny and Phil.  but that doesn't mean we can't speculate.  smile

our curse vote (if we submit one) usually goes to a team that drives like jerks.

EK drove cleanly and seem like good guys.  i don't think they were ever on our curse radar.

is the point I am trying to make. I just find the speculation a bit tasteless.

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

ecugrad wrote:

CSP cars are running the 99+ 1.8L  Apples and Oranges
STS cars are running things that would get sniffed out very quickly by the Judges

and i don't think that EK is making 150+whp like the 1.8s are.  without seeing the engine, i don't know whether or not it's a 1.6.  anyway, they look kinda sorta similar from the outside. wink

as far as the STS comparison, what things?  a header that doesn't add much over the OE manifold?  things that we can do on the cheap anyway like an open exhaust or an open air filter?  you could easily do a CSP build in a Lemons race, and that's not even counting opening up the engine.  i would argue that there is a lot more power potential in a covertly cheatin' Lemons car than in a legit SCCA car.

ecugrad wrote:

I just find the speculation a bit tasteless.

i guess if that's the way you want to look at it, but personally, i don't take any of this seriously enough for any of it to qualify as "tasteless" or to get offended by any of it.  and i think most of the speculation is simply based on what we saw on the track.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Buzz Killington wrote:

without seeing the engine, i don't know whether or not it's a 1.6.  anyway, they look kinda sorta similar from the outside. wink

The 1.6 and 1.8 can be told apart from the location of the coil packs.

1.6: http://www.autosuperstore.ca/Inventory/ … iata03.jpg

1.8: http://www.paragoncollision.com/sale/19 … -motor.jpg

And the AFM
And the intake tube
And the Heimholz chamber

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

80 (edited by Buzz Killington 2010-02-14 11:23 AM)

yep...hence the "kinda sorta" language.  wink

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

I have the same K&N also and love it, I could have found it a little cheaper on ebay, but I wanted a valid warranty so I got it at here. K&N 61-2010, or you can try one of the vendors on the forum here, you can usually find a good deal that way as well.  This was very easy to install and I love it.

fasttimesNY wrote:

I have the same K&N also and love it, I could have found it a little cheaper on ebay, but I wanted a valid warranty so I got it at here. K&N 61-2010, or you can try one of the vendors on the forum here, you can usually find a good deal that way as well.  This was very easy to install and I love it.

Mods:  Please delete this bot and it's posts.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

st_rage wrote:
fasttimesNY wrote:

Seriously, you can buy a whole Lemons engine for what a K&N costs.

Zachreligious wrote:
st_rage wrote:
fasttimesNY wrote:

Seriously, you can buy a whole Lemons engine for what a K&N costs.

unless of course we are discussing Miata motors.  smile

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36