Topic: Pinto..will it explode for sure

Found a Pinto...ugly enough to be perfect....cheap enough....and should be simple enough.

Will it blow up though?  Rear ending is likely....and nerf bars are not allowed.....keep searching?

Re: Pinto..will it explode for sure

Oh just get it.  If you are worried about it exploding weld some reinforcement to the outside.  As long as the nerf bars are within the body structure, you're not breaking the rules.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

add a fuel cell for $$$$$.

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

RobL wrote:

Oh just get it.  If you are worried about it exploding weld some reinforcement to the outside.  As long as the nerf bars are within the body structure, you're not breaking the rules.

add some square tubing to the bumper, between the hangars.

...it will explode for sure.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

There's no contact in Lemons, don't worry...

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

HAHAHA @ Trekkor

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

you need the cresida I found you wink

the Syndicate - 30 losses and counting ...
89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

You'll be wearing a fire suit and carrying a fire extinguisher, what's the worst that could happen?

Shake and Bake
America, birthplace of the missionary position. You're welcome...

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the exploding species of Pinto the early models that the engineers, in a drastic move to cut weight, removed a sub-frame planned for the rear around the gas tank?  If so, didn't the latter models put this back into it.  Either way, I agree with RobL; compared to the other wore out junk on the track how bad could it be.  smile

We plan on running the Mercury version of the Pinto and our is a '79.  Looking at the construction and placement of the stock gas tank, I'm not sure they learned their lesson and changed the "later models".  We plan on building a stout cage around the fuel cell and then have the car blessed by a pastor, a rabbi, and then a priest.  Hopefully that will keep us safe but I doubt it.

Anyone know what the highest finishing Pinto was in Lemons history?  I would think mid pack at best but I didn't buy this to win, I bought it for the funny looks when I tell people I'm building a Bobcat to go racing.

Greg
Team Skid Steer
Bullitt Bobcat 2.0
Fox Cougar Sedan

Highest placing Pinto? My guess is last! Driving a Pinto is similiar
to being a Japanese Kamikazi in WWII, explodes on contact!

Mark

jw33 wrote:

You'll be wearing a fire suit and carrying a fire extinguisher, what's the worst that could happen?

Hitch it to the wienermobile, and have yourself an OMGWTFBBQ.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Your fears are entirely justified.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT0J0rcJTLo

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

RichVS: LOL.  That's great!

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

Of course it will explode in a fiery mass the moment you get tapped. Serously, the problem was the tank could get cut by hardware under the car if a rear impact drove the tank forward onto the rear axle (and statistically was no more prone to a blazing rear impact than any other car of the era). The recall fix was a shield that hung down between the tank and the rear axle.

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

Yes, Junkyard dog is correct, I know, because I survived being rear-ended by a garbage truck (driver was asleep), and the shield saved my life!
I thought I was going to die when I saw the grille, and headlights of the garbage truck approaching quickly! He was probably going 40 m.p.h. when he hit me.

Yes indeed.  The later models of the Pinto were fixed and are just as..."safe" as any other 70's American rot box...   My advice is to ditch the stock gas tank for a fuel cell.  Keep your eyes glued to the local circle track classified ads, you should be able to pick up a good used one for a reasonable price.  If that doesnt work out, maybe add some extra braces or protection to the gas tank area.  I don't think anyone is ganna fault you for trying to keep your car from blowing up!

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

find a 2.3 turbo out of a thunderbird... you will do well.

If you find a 2.3 turbo t-bird pull the running gear out also. If it has a stick in it it will be a t-5. Plus it will have a disc brake 8.8 rear end with a posi in it already.

E=MC Hammered
E30, 302I (ME car)
Pintoghini with turbo 2.3L
Old Spice Crown Victoria

or a merkur drivetrain........

forddragracer wrote:

or a merkur drivetrain........

Watch out, some Merkur have a german 5-speed that is fragile and expensive to repair.  (the former Ford service tech says)

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...