Topic: Do firesuits outdate?

I have a Simpson single layer suit with a date of 12/91 in it. Also have a "Safety Racing" suit that has no date, but has a "3-2A/1" patch sewn on it. Will these pass tech?

Re: Do firesuits outdate?

You should be okay but it's the skin on your ass and not mine.

Personally, I strongly advise you get a multi-layer suit.  It's safer and not much more expensive once you add in the cost of the fireproof underwear.

Technically: If it has the correct SFI rating you should be fine.

While I do not believe suits "expire," there are two general concepts in firesuits.

Treated Suits and Fireproof Suits.

Most less expensive suits are basically treated cotton.  It doesn't wear out but say washes out.  An old suit that has never been washed should be good.  A new but overly washed suit would not be so good.  I don't know how to determine the effectiveness but a lot of places suggest a 3-5 year life for a treated suit.

A suit made out of fireproof material like Nomex should last as long as the materiel holds up.

Once again, I highly discourage a single layer suit.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Everything I've read says that Proban retains its fire-resistant qualities over time. But when I see fire suits that look more like pajamas than safety clothing, I worry for the drivers. I know that money doesn't grow on trees and the risk of fire in these events is remote, but the result of failure of a firesuit is harrowing. There was an article in Grassroots Motorsports last month about a MX-5 Cup driver whose brand new Miata blew up at the 25 Hours of Thunderhill in December. His gear, all brand-new super-great stuff from Sparco, was totally torched and destroyed, but he barely suffered any burns.

But, in the end, it's your ass. I suspect so long as it has an SFI patch, it passes, and that was your question. Cheers.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Here is some info about the SFI ratings:

SFI Ratings are determined by the results of several tests conducted on racing suits for fire retardant capabilities and Thermal Protective Performance (TPP). The standard spec for racing suits is 3.2A, or 3.2A/1. Superior construction will yield ratings of 3.2A/3, and 3.2A/5. The increasing last digit indicates an increase in the length of time you will be protected by your firesuit before it succumbs to the flames.
A driver suit that is certified to meet SFI spec has been laboratory tested and has passed the requirements of the tests. Those manufacturers who certify their products as SFI approved demonstrate their commitment to providing the highest levels of safety for their customers.
3.2A/1   gives 3 seconds until a second degree burn
3.2A/3   gives 7 seconds
3.2A/5   gives 10 seconds  (All of our rental suits meet or exceeds this rating.)
3.2A/10  gives 19 seconds
3.2A/15  gives 30 seconds
3.2A/20  gives 40 seconds
It is important to understand that SFI Rating do NOT represent the number of fabric layers in the garment.  If your suit has a 3.2A/1 rating then additional nomex underware is required to pass Lemons tech.

Hope this helps,
David