Topic: Yugo's???

I know of a former auto-x Yugo in the area with a cage etc.. that can probably
be had for around $500.00 and wondered if anyone has run one yet??

Thanks!

Mark

Re: Yugo's???

Yes. It flipped on lap two.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

It did that well eh?

Awesome.  Make it twenty laps, IOE!

Plain Jane '86 BMW 535i - Current
RIP People's Elbowed Protege - 2010

There are probably some things to be done to keep it from flipping over.  But let's say Yugo's have not made a stellar showing in the past.

"Chief Idiot" - Italian Stallions Rotary X1/9
Class Win (Bad) / IOE Win (Guzzi Fiat 600) / We Got Screwed / GRM Most from Least

Cmice wrote:

There are probably some things to be done to keep it from flipping over.

Fiat X 1/9 transplants are the common attempts for suspension upgrades. 

Mark, I assume this was in the Ohio area? 

I looked at one around here when I first found the Lemons races.  Kick myself now for not just throwing down the $100 for a complete one and sorting out my wife later.  Now I can't find one nearby

training wheels ala the coROLLa?   Maybe cut the springs to lower the COG? 

Hey Judges-IOE contender?

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

IOE especially if you can get it to run with this kind of setup

When I was surfing for it all a couple years ago the 9000 Turbos were around, but of course the DSM ones were plentiful

You know, there are enthusiasts for every stupid car ever made!  Last year I was shocked to learn there's a group of Chevy Citation enthusiasts.  They were very unhappy that I was entering one of the beloved cars, a "rare" X-11 knotchback, in a crapcan race.  I was told I HAD to restore it.  umm, yeah. 

So I'm not surprised there are folks that love Yugooooos!

1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

You restored it to GLORY!  Maybe not the kind they expected, but about the only kind it can have anymore. 

I have to say that I haven't looked at the Citation, or the cavaliers, in my town the same after knowing they've been decent racers.  I also look at the abandoned cars in the fields a lot more closely. 

Personally, I think Lemons needs a V-Twin Yugo!  Not sure I have the resources to pull that one off right now.

OlCrefoo,

Yes it's in the Akron area and not listed for sale, but I think he'd sell
it if I made him an offer.  It's not in bad shape and he ran it at Nelson
6-7 yrs. ago during a lapping day.  I sold my old FV to him and spotted
the car then.

Mark

Jer wrote:

You know, there are enthusiasts for every stupid car ever made!  Last year I was shocked to learn there's a group of Chevy Citation enthusiasts.  They were very unhappy that I was entering one of the beloved cars, a "rare" X-11 knotchback, in a crapcan race.  I was told I HAD to restore it.  umm, yeah. 

So I'm not surprised there are folks that love Yugooooos!

I was at an auto-x about ten years ago and it was hosted by a Cosworth Vega club.  They all looked great, but I have never seen so many smoking, poor running, ill handling cars in my life.  A Lemons field looks far superior by comparison.  There had to be 25 black with gold stripe Vegas there that day.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Did someone say Yugo?

Yes they can be made to handle amazingly well.
Yes they can be lightened to sub 1400lb weights.
Yes they are a bit tippy, but there are some things you can do....

First, widen it, a wider track is more stable and they are easy to flare.  Diamond racing will make you a set of custom wide wheels for not too much money.

Lower it.  X1/9 struts and springs in the front, if you want to go lower you can take a coil out of the X springs.

A rear lowering kit is about $8 worth of hardware store supplies.  Seriously, we were rooting through my hardware bins this weekend and someone held up a bag full of hardware and said "What's this"...I sez "Yugo lowering kit" it was a spare from back in the day.  If anyone really wants info on it I can show you how to do it.

Addco still has rear sway bars for these which will make the car rotate like nobodys business, you'll have to call them and keep asking till someone stops laughing but they have em.

You can bump up the rear spring rate (transverse leaf) with
a) the trasverse leaf out of a Fiat 128 Wagon....did someone say unobtanium?
b) bolt on an "add a leaf" helper spring, you'll have to play around with sizes and styles from small trucks but you'll find one that works.

There have been rear strut conversions done but they are complex and expensive and I havent seen that they improve much.

I got's my learning from the Yoda of Yugo Dave Benton.   He not only autocrosses them but he has a 14 second naturally aspirated drag Yugo.  He actually worked for the company in the US and knows more about these cars than anyone has a right to.

But definitely...go Yugo...and go wide

http://misfittoysracing.com/Yugo/images/sep2006/ds34.jpg

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

We would love to see more Yugos in Lemons. The one that flipped over was a completely beat-to-shit stocker that was more or less a last-second-addition joke; it showed up unannounced on Friday, had a cage installed in the parking lot that night, and "raced" the next day. Following JThw8's advice would get you a pretty quick little car and a real shot at the IOE.

The same advice applies to Renault Le Cars; the one that flipped at MSR had a completely stock (and worn-out) suspension.

MurileeMartin wrote:

We would love to see more Yugos in Lemons. The one that flipped over was a completely beat-to-shit stocker that was more or less a last-second-addition joke; it showed up unannounced on Friday, had a cage installed in the parking lot that night, and "raced" the next day. Following JThw8's advice would get you a pretty quick little car and a real shot at the IOE.

The same advice applies to Renault Le Cars; the one that flipped at MSR had a completely stock (and worn-out) suspension.

If anyone is serious about building one I'll tell ya everything I know, and even make up a few things.

I'd love to find one to build myself.

And if you can find a junked X1/9 you get the front struts and everything you need to make it twin engined with the X engine and transaxle in the rear  wink

I've measured, you can cram an Alfa 164 V6 in the front if you try wink

Not that its very Lemons friendly pricewise but I think I still have some good basemaps for megasquirting the Yugo EFI system as a beginning to a great junkyard turbo setup.

OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."

16 (edited by magnusracing 2010-03-24 04:26 PM)

JThw8 wrote:

REALLY.... I happen to have a few Alfa 164 powertrains sitting around... HMMMMmmmmm...

I even found a very cheap YUGO not too far away in Arizona:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/pts/1658296870.html

Hmmm... but I need another Lemons project like a hole in the head.

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice

magnusracing wrote:
JThw8 wrote:

REALLY.... I happen to have a few Alfa 164 powertrains sitting around... HMMMMmmmmm...

I even found a very cheap YUGO not too far away in Arizona:

Hmmm... but I need another Lemons project like a hole in the head.

Not saying it would be an easy swap, just that dimensionally it *can* work.

Hmmmm.... 1400lb Yugo... 200+hp Alfa 164 Motors... might be fun...

So if you won Lemons with a Yugo would you probably get $3001.00 in nickles? (Overall win plus IOE?)

19 (edited by JThw8 2010-03-24 04:47 PM)

magnusracing wrote:

Hmmmm.... 1400lb Yugo... 200+hp Alfa 164 Motors... might be fun...

So if you won Lemons with a Yugo would you probably get $3001.00 in nickles? (Overall win plus IOE?)

Much more "Lemons Cred" for tossing the x1/9 motor in the back and making it twin engine even if it doesnt take the overall wink

If anyone in NJ wants to take on such a project Im all in for helping out.

Alfa 164 up front an X1/9 motor out back would rock !

and probably become instant legends for completing a single lap.....

We're in the middle of a big project, but there's always "what's next?"   A Yugo...hmmmm

MurileeMartin wrote:

Suspension?? Were we supposed to do something to that?  We were just trying to get that piece of crap to run!  We were pretty ecstatic when it didn't blow the motor on the second lap.

1982 Renault LeCar "Pepe"
2010 Gator-O-Rama rollover
2010 North Dallas Hooptie IOE Winner!!

23 (edited by magnusracing 2010-03-25 11:45 AM)

I got a call back from the guy in AZ with the Yugo for sale. Here is the story:

It has a hot rod engine and 5 speed transmission with only 300 miles on it. Apparently a friend of his who raced Yugos built up the motor with a high flow intake and higher lift cam.

The car has been hit from behind. The hit didn't do much to the bumper but the collision lifted the car up and bent the rear wheel inwards - so it's gonna need  straigtening.

He wants just $300 for this car. Seems like an excellent candidate for Lemons and should actually be decently quick even with the motor in it now. I'd get it myself but I just have too much on my plate right now.

Here is the link to his add again:

He seems like a nice guy.

magnusracing wrote:

I got a call back from the guy in AZ with the Yugo for sale. Here is the story:

It has a hot rod engine and 5 speed transmission with only 300 miles on it. Apparently a friend of his who raced Yugos built up the motor with a high flow intake and higher lift cam.

The car has been hit from behind. The hit didn't do much to the bumper but the collision lifted the car up and bent the rear wheel inwards - so it's gonna need  straigtening.

He wants just $300 for this car. Seems like an excellent candidate for Lemons and should actually be decently quick even with the motor in it now. I'd get it myself but I just have too much on my plate right now.

Here is the link to his add again:

He seems like a nice guy.

This may actually be the Yoda of Yugos, Dave Benton.  He moved out to AZ a couple of years ago from NJ.  If he massaged that motor it will be fast and reliable.

If that was around here it would be SOLD!