Topic: Does chopping parts off old cars count towards the $500?

Some friends and I are thinking, have been thinking, about getting into this and we're currently searching for a car. One of my teammates has a Honda Prelude that he wrecked(wrecked is an understatement, he totaled the bajeezus out of it), and it is now just sitting in his backyard. The question came up yesterday as to whether taking parts off that would count towards the $500 limit for the car, because it has some very very usable things on it. We're technically getting it for free, right? How do we convince the judges of this if we show up with an Opel 1900(hypothetically) and it has a bunch of shiny new parts on it?

Re: Does chopping parts off old cars count towards the $500?

You may have to take some bs laps for your first race, but should be able to get the value down for races after that.

My car has a brand new alternator (ironically, the reason for getting the car so cheap).  the original replacement burned the fusible links (19 volts output), and while it was parked waiting for a replacement, was side swiped by a drunk.  We stopped at advance auto on the way back while towing the car home and got the warranty replacement.  So, that's a 150.00 part, give or take, and I don't think it'll pass bs.  It's not like we're going to win our first time out anyway.

Hopefully, if we make race # 2, the value will be set below 500.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Any parts added to you car and not kept as spares are technically counted to the budget. That being said... if the part doesn't necissarily add performance to it... the judges tend to not care TOO much.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Riktor nailed it.  If you want to pull body parts off of the Honda and create some monstrosity or use lights or other non-running gear from the Honda, that's okay.  It's sort of like theme expenses (paint, weird shit that gets bolted to the car, etc.), the rules don't say that they aren't part of the $500 budget... but they are generally overlooked.

Of course, if you claim the Honda as a documented free parts car, that's different.  Perfectly okay, but... the judges will look at you cross-eyed if the benevolent donor is a team member or relative.

However, this is all a moot point.  If you show up with a vintage Opel, you're golden.  Revel in the awesomeness of choosing a proper lemon!

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

We may not end up with the Opel. It's automatic and we're not necessarily sure if that's a turn off or not..My friend is going to an auction tonight to see what there is and we should have something soon.

Thanks to all three of you, that was helpful. We'll probably end up taking some parts off of it, depends what we need.

If it's a team member's car, you're not getting it "for free." You're getting it for whatever he paid for it in the first place, not what it's worth now. Since you haven't read the rules yet, I refer you to Section 4.1.1:

4.1.1: Lame-Ass Rationalizations: Cars that "should be" worth $500 don't count; cars that "were worth $500" before you spent another $2000 to fix them don't count; cars you've owned for 20 years and spent more than $500 on during that time don't count; "it would have been worth $500 if it didn't already have a cage" doesn't count. Five hundred dollars means five hundred frickin' dollars.

As for selling stuff off a car to get to the $500 limit, that's fine. Just document the shit out of all your transactions, and by "document" I don't mean "call up your friend with all the blurry photos of the car on his iPhone and have him come running to the BS inspection," which we see at least three times per race.

Also, keep in mind that selling parts off the car can only get the value to zero, not into negative territory. This means that you tow-yard owners who sell $20,000 worth of parts of that repo'd Evo you got for $3,000 can't loophole that thing through the BS inspection (however, if you use that same trick with a Rolls-Royce we'll be perfectly fine with it).

If you are choosing between a Honda Prelude and an Opel 1900, you're really choosing between two types of BS Inspection. In one type, you get every item on your no-doubt-phony stack of paperwork scrutinized with ball-bustingly harsh skepticism... and in the other, you get cut a whole bunch of slack. Guess which type the Prelude gets?

So by this rationale if you show up with a Crosley Hotshot you can power it with a PT6A and you're golden....

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

jimeditorial wrote:

So by this rationale if you show up with a Crosley Hotshot you can power it with a PT6A and you're golden....

Yes, aircraft-engine-powered Crosleys are exempt from BS Inspection rules.

MurileeMartin wrote:

Also, keep in mind that selling parts off the car can only get the value to zero, not into negative territory. This means that you tow-yard owners who sell $20,000 worth of parts of that repo'd Evo you got for $3,000 can't loophole that thing through the BS inspection (however, if you use that same trick with a Rolls-Royce we'll be perfectly fine with it).

I don't own a junk yard, at least not a formal one, but nothing in the rules says we can't turn a profit.

I've never started with a car over $200 but selling a $200 car into the negative is pretty easy.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy wrote:

nothing in the rules says we can't turn a profit.

You can turn all the profit you want, but you can't get a $1000 BS-Inspection-approved budget by selling $900 worth of parts off a $400 car. Feel free to spend your profit on gas, tires, etc.

Phil, I hear you. 

However selling a $1500 car down to $500 still means you got to spend $1000 BS-Inspection approved dollars. 

So in my opinion, it should work both ways.

You are more likely to get a better car for $1500 than $200.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

12 (edited by MurileeMartin 2010-03-25 11:53 AM)

Troy wrote:

Phil, I hear you. 

However selling a $1500 car down to $500 still means you got to spend $1000 BS-Inspection approved dollars.

No, selling $1000 in parts from a $1500 car means that you can spend an additional zero dollars on non-safety-related items, because you now have a $500 car. If you sell a $1500 car down to zero, you can then spend 1000 BS-Inspection-approved dollars.

You can also take a $2000 car and get it down to zero by selling parts... which will get you past the BS Inspection (if we believe you) but might result in your team winning the Curse vote (see Superkak Racing Mustang GT).

MurileeMartin wrote:

No, selling $1000 in parts from a $1500 car means that you can spend an additional zero dollars on non-safety-related items, because you now have a $500 car. If you sell a $1500 car down to zero, you can then spend 1000 BS-Inspection-approved dollars.

For clarity:
If you buy a car for $1500 and sell $1500, you still can't spend more than $500 of that cash on the car, right?  What  you'd have is $500 in your competition budget, and $1000 in the "discretionary" fund.

Never more than $500 spent on parts for the car, regardless of where the money came from.  Or so the theory goes.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

My point is, if I start with a $2000 car, and then sell off $2000 and get it to Zero, you can now reinvest $500.  Eitherway, you've got $2500 in the car now.

Starting with a $300 car and sell it to zero, you can spend $800.

I'd assume a $2000 car is leaps and bounds better than a $300 POS.

Therefore, I see no reason going negative should be matter.

Otherwise, you are car encouraging more expensive cars and giving them an advantage over say my $120 810 Maxima.  I would be better to start with a $1500 E36.

While I am getting this straight from the Judge himself.  The rules do not say you can or can not go negative and it ends up being the discretion of the Judges.

This is definitely a gray area.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy wrote:

My point is, (some sort of hair-splitting lawyer talk about money)

It's actually real simple. The judges know a real Lemons car when they see one, and reward or punish accordingly. Not gray at all!

And THAT is the beauty of Lemons.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Troy wrote:

My point is, if I start with a $2000 car, and then sell off $2000 and get it to Zero, you can now reinvest $500.  Eitherway, you've got $2500 in the car now.

Starting with a $300 car and sell it to zero, you can spend $800.

I'd assume a $2000 car is leaps and bounds better than a $300 POS.

Therefore, I see no reason going negative should be matter.

Otherwise, you are car encouraging more expensive cars and giving them an advantage over say my $120 810 Maxima.  I would be better to start with a $1500 E36.

While I am getting this straight from the Judge himself.  The rules do not say you can or can not go negative and it ends up being the discretion of the Judges.

This is definitely NOT a gray area. See rule 4.7:

rules wrote:

4.7: Scavenger Sales: If you sell pieces off of your car, the money that comes back in can be used to offset the initial purchase price. Just be prepared to convince some exceedingly skeptical judges of the validity of all those transactions.

It explicitly does NOT say "offset the price of super-awesome Quaife differential and cockpit-adjustable Tein coilovers."

18 (edited by trekkor 2010-03-25 09:53 PM)

Maybe I should paint my car gray?!?

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Ya know, Houston is the former home of Enron. 

Accounting is far from black and white.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z