Topic: Brake pad choices - Porterfield vs. Hawk?

Hey guys, we're looking to do some high-quality brake pads for our heap (98 Golf) and have it narrowed down to the Porterfield R4 and the Hawk Blue 9012. Both are high quality race-only pads, price is pretty similar (<$25 difference). Can't find any reviews comparing the two. The only obvious difference is the heat range - the Porterfields are optimum of 450-1200*F, while the Hawks are designed to run a bit cooler, around 250-1000*F optimum. My question is, which do you think is the better choice? I'm sure both would work fine, but I'm concerned that the Hawks may overheat if we drive them really hard, or that we won't be able to keep enough heat in the Porterfields to keep them happy.

For a frame of reference, the car is modestly light (~2800lbs track weight), the track is Summit Point, and all of our drivers are new to road racing (autocross experience only), so we'll probably be a bit conservative to start (hence my worry about the Porterfields). Car has stock size calipers up front and drums in the back. Thanks all!

Shallow Pockets Racing, aka the newbies in the BP-themed Golf
-Summit Point 2010, 29/86, 0 mechanical problems - "Are you sure it's a VW?"

Re: Brake pad choices - Porterfield vs. Hawk?

If they are about the same price, go for the R4Es.  The pads are good in the 0-1400 range (same as the R4 compound) and wear better.  The downside is that they have slightly less feel and initial grip to them.  We've gotten 3 races out of a set now.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Doc;
I haven't tried the Hawk Pads, but I can tell you that the R4E's are very impressive. We've got stock brakes (drums in the back) on our Subaru and have all 24 hrs at Nelson plus about 10 hours at Rockingham... still pad left!!

We're not slow either.

Yeah baby!
#47 Impreza:  2009 Lamest Day; 3rd / 2010 Capital Offense; 4th (with a blown head gasket) / 2010 New England something or another; 60 somethingth, f'n wheel bearing / 2010 Lemons Fall South 77th out a 101 - all 10 feet shot off! Then there was Miami...

+1 on the R4-E and Porterfield in general.  Hawks eat rotors much faster than they should.

I was told by the Porterfield rep that the R4-E should really only be used in an endurance race with one long heat cycle rather than using it in several races.  He didn't say what degraded, but just that we shouldn't do it.  So far, so good for us, but that's what I was told.  YMMV

We ran R4-E up front and R4-S on our rear drums at Nelson and they worked great.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Good to hear so much about the Porterfields - thanks for all the input so far!

To clarify, the regular R4's are about $25 more than the Hawk Blues. I'm still trying to figure out if they even offer the R4-E for my Golf (contacting Porterfield myself to verify), but it looks like if they do they're about $45 more than the Hawks. The only bad I've heard about the Hawks is that they eat rotors, but if the R4-E's are available I'll probably just get them. Thanks again!

Call Livermore Performance at (925)292-5523 www.livermoreperformance.com I searched all over and they had the best prices.  Generally, Porterfield will make any compound for any car if you ask.

'74 260Z

Jeff;

FWIW they behaved fine in the 2nd race, no additional rotor wear or any of that.

If I was selling pads; I'd tell you to toss 'em after one race too   (0:

.. I'm just sayin'

(YMMV)

Yeah baby!
#47 Impreza:  2009 Lamest Day; 3rd / 2010 Capital Offense; 4th (with a blown head gasket) / 2010 New England something or another; 60 somethingth, f'n wheel bearing / 2010 Lemons Fall South 77th out a 101 - all 10 feet shot off! Then there was Miami...

Nanker Phelge wrote:

If I was selling pads; I'd tell you to toss 'em after one race too   (0:

.. I'm just sayin'

(YMMV)

Hee hee, I hear you.

The guy was GREAT to deal with and was being very honest from what I could tell.  He was telling me that he steers open track day people away from them since they don't like to heat cycle.  For HPDE cars, he reccomends either R4-S or R4, but not the R4-E for that reason.

'74 260Z

RobL wrote:

If they are about the same price, go for the R4Es.  The pads are good in the 0-1400 range (same as the R4 compound) and wear better.  The downside is that they have slightly less feel and initial grip to them.  We've gotten 3 races out of a set now.

We have steered clear of the true race pads for two reasons.  First they were designed for use with race tires, not the street tires we run.  No ABS + race pads = square tires.  We ran Hawk HT-10's on the E30 and it was super easy to lock the brakes.  We switched to the HP+ compound when we built our Prelude and were very happy with them the first race.  They are also a good bit cheaper, but since they do wear faster it's all relative.

I don't see a listing for the R4-E for our car, but maybe I need to look into a switch.  There is no way we could get more than 1.5 races our of our Hawk HP+ pads.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

We use R4's. Had a major brain fart at the last race. Decided to use Performance friction carbon metallic pads. Not good. 5 hours of racing put them metal on metal. The replacements were unknow auto parts store stuff. 4 more hours and they were finished. Granted they were used pads on scored to hell rotors, so you can't expect them to last very long. Saturday night we put new rotors with the only pads we could find, Autozone Duralast. Well they held up the 6 hours of racing on Sunday. But 45 minutes of full course caution kinda makes it easy on the pads....Stopping power on any of the pads wasn't even close to the R4's.

We have new R4's front and rear for No Problem.

11 (edited by Troy 2010-03-26 03:16 PM)

I run R4s up front and R4-1s I believe in the back.

5 races on the fronts, 4 on the rears.

Grace on the left pedal and good drivers keeps round tires.

Up sizing our tires will make brake modulation easier but we are doing okay now.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

12 (edited by ifb_mole 2010-03-26 04:25 PM)

For Hawks don't use the blues look at the DTC-60, THAT is the most equivalent to the Porterfields. Also the Hawk DTC-70's are good

IMO this choice really depends on the weight of your car.  Our slow and light Lemons entry definitely needs a different pad than my 3100lb 435whp Corvette that eats DTC70's in one weekend.  I don't think our Lemons car would get DTC70's into their heat range very well.

Perhaps you're right but still you would be surprised how fast - even a relatively light Lemons car - can heat up front pads, especially a FWD crap box. We used DTC-60's in our 3000lb FWD Maxima and they worked great (we did upgrade the rotors and brake lines, but not the calipers)

Raybestos ST43...........................  John at Evil Genius Racing can get them custom made in any size you need....  I bought these prior to my 1st Lemons race to use on the 928 Estate (200whp 3150lbs with driver) and have over 40 HOURS on track with them......  after 40 hours of EXCELLENT brakes with zero fade & minimal rotor wear I am going to change the inside pads prior to the next race (single piston sliding caliper) since they are down to about 1/4"  but the outsides are well over 1/2" and I will leave them alone....

Some teams can't even get 1 day our of pads and or rotors.....  & don't think we drive easy on our car..... :>)

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

If Porterfield has an R4 for your car, they've got an R4E for it.  We ran the R4S on our 91 MR2 and it made it through two test and tune days and half of CMP.  CMP beat the crap out of those pads and what little material was left when they finally gave out crumbled at our touch.

We switched to R4E for Nelson Ledges and after that 24 hours, they still look new.  Granted, Nelson is a brake friendly track (only one really hard braking zone) - but it's nice to know they'll be good for at least one more event.

I stock the MR2 and Celica part numbers, but can get any Porterfield.  If you can't find a source for your car, drop me a line and I'll be happy to give you a Lemons discount.

Mod Squad Racing
http://twosrus.com

Thanks Guys. Porterfield got back to me and they do have a R4-E for my car and the price isn't too bad. I think we're going to run these with new ATE rotors up front, and new OEM shoes in the back. Otherwise, we're only changing the soft lines at each corner due to some rot and switching to super blue brake fluid. I think it should handle pretty well and our total cost will be pretty good on brakes (about $350 or a little less). Thanks again!