Topic: shakedown events in Tejas?

Hey Texas people,
    We're gonna start shaking down our Lemon at some events somewhere, are there any events any yall're hitting up within the next couple weeks?

It'd be fun to try to get some the teams together to shakedown at the same time at an auto-x / cheap track day / drag strip / drift event something.

Mike Peters
Former rotary brat pioneer.
3.17.08 Jalopnik Hoon of the day.  #hasbeen
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

Re: shakedown events in Tejas?

March 14th, 20th and 21st the SCCA is holding events at Pennington Field in Mid-Cities... Not sure what the 14th is but the 20-21 is a Auto-X event. CAr depending we will be doing a bit of tuning there.

I wish they had more test and tunes this year. The unlimited runs for 8 hours is FANTASTIC enviroment.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Here's a link the the schedule at TWS:

http://www.texasworldspeedway.com/the-t … edule.html

Plenty of TWS folks participate in Lemons.  I believe they finished second at MSR 2/2010.

The longer your test sessions, the more likely you are to find problems.

An Autocross is a minute or two.  Most DE session are around 20 minutes.  Neither compare to the length of time we are trying to run in an Enduro.

We test our car at MSR a lot and have many trouble free 30 minute sessions.  Then we get out to the race and 45 minutes in we start running hot.  It's frustrating. 

Sergio commented on this too, you are hard pressed to truly test for the kind of problems you will have once you have been running the car for over an hour. 

Aside from testing, just about everyone I know around here prefers TWS to any other track in the area.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

We're gonna try to hit some TAMSCC events as well as some Mineral Wells Drift events (unlimited runs for $40) but curious what else you guys were doing with your Lemons.  We personally can't afford to go to dfw for an auto-x, but one of those test/tunes sounds good..

Mike Peters
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

mikespeed95 wrote:

We're gonna try to hit some TAMSCC events as well as some Mineral Wells Drift events (unlimited runs for $40) but curious what else you guys were doing with your Lemons.  We personally can't afford to go to dfw for an auto-x, but one of those test/tunes sounds good..

The Open trackdays at TWS may be on our agenda now. Hell $125 and four hours will give us plenty of shakedown. We aren't so worried about the engine but the chassis and rear suspension setup is going to be tricky. grafting an import engine into our Fiero has proven... interesting.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

There is a DE at Eagles Canyon on May 8. If you have a passenger seat in your ride, you could use that to both work as a shakedown (or breakdown -- which is what we did at EC last fall prior to the Yee-Haw race) and to learn the track. Just be advised -- if you show up with your Lemons ride, they look at you kind of funny. Seems that most of the instructors are PCA guys and had their humor glands removed as some point in the past.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:

There is a DE at Eagles Canyon on May 8. If you have a passenger seat in your ride, you could use that to both work as a shakedown (or breakdown -- which is what we did at EC last fall prior to the Yee-Haw race) and to learn the track. Just be advised -- if you show up with your Lemons ride, they look at you kind of funny. Seems that most of the instructors are PCA guys and had their humor glands removed as some point in the past.

april 3, too...

However - Re: EC......

nevermind - you'll figure it out...

Dirty Some Beaches - Lemoncello Racing - Honda Wag-O-Van
Team Red Bear - BMW 320i
Inglorious Bastards - Ford Thunderbird, Mazda Miata, the other Mazda Miata

Mike,  I would recommend you consider Grandsportspeedway down in Hitchcock, TX if you are planning on getting some bugs worked out.  Less strict than other tracks, plenty of track time all day long:

www.grandsportspeedway.com

Mike
Lemons Oct 2008, Oct 2009, Feb 2010, Oct 2011

i need to hit up one of the those TWS track days since I live here in town.  Of course I would need to start sooner that the week before the next Lemons race to make sure it worked.

the Syndicate - 30 losses and counting ...
89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

I'm going to the drift/grip event at GSS in April, that track is pretty cool, and cheap.  Did they ever fill the 10' backdrop on the rumble strips?

Mike Peters

Bring it to the New Orleans race in a few weeks. We will shake it down with you.

shrimpandboots wrote:

Bring it to the New Orleans race in a few weeks. We will shake it down with you.

Shake it with some shrimp?  Or better yet, crawdads?

(Please, please bring fresh crayfish/mudbugs/crawdaddies/crawfish to No Problems.  Please!)

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

I think crawfish will still be in season. If so you will be in the heart of crawfish country. Pierre Part only a few miles away has the best. Dont worry, we will have a few sacks if they are in available. I personally like these more than shrimp.

shrimpandboots wrote:

I think crawfish will still be in season. If so you will be in the heart of crawfish country. Pierre Part only a few miles away has the best. Dont worry, we will have a few sacks if they are in available. I personally like these more than shrimp.

You guys were a class act last year... food and entertainment, heck it was worth the trip just to hang out with you guys. Hope to see you in a couple of months.

250 GTO

f1race79 wrote:
shrimpandboots wrote:

You guys were a class act last year... food and entertainment, heck it was worth the trip just to hang out with you guys. Hope to see you in a couple of months.

Thanks, we usually have plenty of time to cook, party, and drink because our damn car is broke down. Hopefully we have it right this time and can kick some butt. More than likely not though so we can get drunk instead.

we're taking the brat to Grand Sport Speedway tomorrow, if you need a spot lmk.

http://www.fabricatedmotorsports.com/In … _2010.html

Mike Peters

18 (edited by doctawife 2010-03-28 06:55 AM)

shrimpandboots wrote:

Amen!  Mudbugs are the best food ever.  EVAR! 

It's just off-topic posting day for me.  So sorry to everyone who was hoping for more Tejas-style test and tune posts.

My favorite crawdad story:

I was 18.  My dad always took me to the local Cajun/Creole joint in St. Louis for crayfish and beer.  (Yes, he bought me beer.  Underage.  In restaurants.  He was awesome.)  I became well known to the staff, and could get into the joint without being carded... even without my father.

So I'm out one night, chowing on some crawdaddies and drinking some beer.  It's Friday, so the joint is 21+. Chris and I are hanging out on the patio, and I decide I need to pee.  When I walk inside towards the bar I meet the entire Social Studies department from my high school.  Oops.  I'm a senior and I haven't graduated yet.  Double oops.

We all decided that we'd ignore each other and eat more mudbugs.  The power of crawfish.  It is awesome.

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

Harris Hill is running Time Trials next Saturday, April 3rd.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

An Autocross is a minute or two.  Most DE session are around 20 minutes.  Neither compare to the length of time we are trying to run in an Enduro.

Yeah, but it's better than showing up with a car that's only been run in the driveway. If we get our Jag together in time, we're going to run in an autocross up here in OKC.