Topic: Door question

I did a search and its not been specifically answered so I wanted to get a ruling here.

On a convertible (for egress reasons) is it ok to weld the doors shut?  Thinking ahead on this MG and I remember when I prepped a sprite for autocross and how the doors would pop open on a turn because of the flex until I finally welded them shut.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

2 (edited by secorp 2010-03-24 03:05 PM)

Re: Door question

Weld away, just make sure you can get in and out of the car quickly, you get a little pop-quiz on "GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT FIRE FIRE FIRE" during tech inspection smile We riveted our Miata door shut with some sheetmetal after somebody T-boned us at Thunderhill and busted the latching mechanism. On our MGB, the doors still work and haven't popped open yet, even during an off-track excursion. Maybe we just aren't turning hard enough.

After taking the roof off our Saturn, we welded the doors shut to improve rigidity (the metal part of the doors, not the plastic skins).  Drivers use arm restraints and getting out of the car is lots faster climbing straight up and out the top.

Not all who wander are lost.

For our x19 I was thinking of selling the doors and welding sheet-metal skins over the opening.  There's nothing against that in the rules from what I've seen.  I can get sheet metal for less than the value of the doors.

bikesandcars wrote:

For our x19 I was thinking of selling the doors and welding sheet-metal skins over the opening.  There's nothing against that in the rules from what I've seen.  I can get sheet metal for less than the value of the doors.

Hmmm, not a bad idea.   We're already on track to recoup our entire purchase price just from little trim bits and junk (helps when you dont pay much to begin with) but a few extra bux for the fuel fund wouldnt hurt.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."