Topic: New car for the Bastardos

We have just purloined the perfect Lemons specimen.   I'm not going to let the cat all the way out of the bag but it is spectacularly awful.

When finished you will be subjected to the 1956 Yellow Submarine...

That is all, you may go back to being bluish

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

Re: New car for the Bastardos

Is the plan to have it ready for Eagles Canyon?

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

3 (edited by TheHeckler 2010-03-19 05:22 PM)

I am working on that plan. 

Spent today cleaning and pressure washing the floors right out of it and stripping the interior.  I have measurements for a cage and a plan for the re-structuring the rusty heap.

I did discover that the engine is completely toast.  I guess being in a field since 1965 takes a toll on an engine.  tongue

Now I am on to plan B for an engine transplant. 

Was thinking Yugo for its utter craptasticness but the car would need to run on sunday to have an IOE chance and we haven't seen any running Yugos anywhere near Dallas.

Engine / transaxle choices could include Subaru or Fiat or even more pedestrian FWD setups like Ford.  Given the hell involved in just getting it driveable I need to find a cheap running non-destroyed engine.

1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine

Pour some Marvel Mystiry Oil in the cylinders. What could possible go wrong?

sergio wrote:

Pour some Marvel Mystiry Oil in the cylinders. What could possible go wrong?

When I pulled a plug it was full of rust and weird white/green flakes of corrosion...

I filled it up with PBR-Blaster and put the plugs back in.

1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine

TheHeckler wrote:

Was thinking Yugo for its utter craptasticness but the car would need to run on sunday to have an IOE chance and we haven't seen any running Yugos anywhere near Dallas.

Now now...dont disparage the Yugo.  I would be willing to wager that if I could get my hands on one, and if I had any clue how to drive (or could assemble a group that could) I could make a Yugo not only finish but finish well.

I still remember the first time I brought the Yugo from Hell to an autocross and my driver was there with his dad (3rd and 4th generation drivers so they were both good) Dad was there in his new to him C4 corvette and the Yugo (with son driving) had him by 2+ seconds all day long.

Granted autox is alot different from Lemons, but the point is Yugos are often dismissed offhand when they can be made to be very good cars.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

JThw8 wrote:

Now now...dont disparage the Yugo. 
...snip...
Granted autox is alot different from Lemons, but the point is Yugos are often dismissed offhand when they can be made to be very good cars.

Oh, I wasn't dissing them when they work, I was lamenting the fact that 99% of them never had maintenance done making the few that would run and keep running through a Lemons race exceedingly rare. 

There was nothing fundamentally wrong with them that actually doing the recommended maintenance wouldn't have fixed.

Happen to know where I may find one in Dallas?

1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine

i have the feeling i will be totally sick of welding by the time this p.o.s. is done......

Yes Joe, we will both be sick of welding after this...   I have decided to make a go for Eagles Canyon with the mystery machine...

1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine

ahhh well no rest for the weary. or the wicked.............

We have our engine donor!

A slightly pedestrian Mercury's heart will be ripped out and welded into the submarine.

1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine