Topic: Fuel dumper at Sears Pointless

I noticed that many teams have these fuel dumpers up on a stand that allows them to refuel the car in seconds, vs 20 min waiting at the track pump.   Where did you find those?  It looks like they cost as much as the car.   You certainly can't win the race without one.   At our first race at Thunderhill, we were asked to buy from the track to help suport them.   We did, and lost considerable time for that choice. 
I think next time we should bring the two 50 gal drums like the guy next to us.    We spent $243 on fuel at Sears Pointless.

Re: Fuel dumper at Sears Pointless

We bring a 55 gallon drum and use 5 gallon Scribner jugs.
I want to build a fast fuel rig out of another drum.

Maybe I'll build them and offer them to Lemons racers...

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

trekkor wrote:

We bring a 55 gallon drum and use 5 gallon Scribner jugs.
I want to build a fast fuel rig out of another drum.

Maybe I'll build them and offer them to Lemons racers...

KT

what he said (except I would buy a fuel right from him)

Actually we have TWO 55 gallon jugs and lots of little 5 to 10 gallon jugs that we share between both cars..... 

However the setup that Eyesore uses is SWEET......very cool.....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

http://www.914club.com/bbs2/uploads/post-8-1269662336_thumb.jpg

One of my new drivers is bringing this along!

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

I have considered making a large elevated dump tank.

Some tracks may not allow them though. 

At MSR, we use the hot pit but can not leave fuel unattended in the hot pit.  So we would either have to babysit the dumper or have it on wheels.

I'd make sure you can use one if you are going to make something.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Anyone have a pic of Eyesores fuel setup?
We have just been using 5 gallon jugs in the past.

Thanks
Stu3

Chump car rules require 5 gallons jugs be used. Minimum Fueling pit time is 5 minutes. Chump car uses the hot pit, and only the the fuel bottles go over the wall. Filling the 5 gallon jugs from a larger drum must be by hand on non hot pit side, hand pump, no powered pumps in the pit area.

Lemons, no rules on fueling rigs, and no minimum pit times.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

mackwagon wrote:

Chump car rules require 5 gallons jugs be used. Minimum Fueling pit time is 5 minutes. Chump car uses the hot pit, and only the the fuel bottles go over the wall. Filling the 5 gallon jugs from a larger drum must be by hand on non hot pit side, hand pump, no powered pumps in the pit area.

Yes another reason why Lemons kicks the shit out of Chump!!

And just FYI the rig that Eyesore uses isnt any faster than just using the 11gal dump can by hand it just looks cool lol. The key to fast dumps is having a BIG breather, the breather on their setup is just the stock size on the can.

We use a 55gal drum with a high flow electric pump and can fill up our 19 gal tank in less than 30 seconds and it makes it very easy to fill with no heavy cans to lift.

Fish wrote:
mackwagon wrote:

And just FYI the rig that Eyesore uses isnt any faster than just using the 11gal dump can by hand it just looks cool lol. The key to fast dumps is having a BIG breather, the breather on their setup is just the stock size on the can.

We use a 55gal drum with a high flow electric pump and can fill up our 19 gal tank in less than 30 seconds and it makes it very easy to fill with no heavy cans to lift.

What's next?  ALMS dry-break fill hoses?  It's only a matter of time before somebody tries that, since it's not a budget item and it's not prohibited.  I hate to say it, but I think that Chump/NASA have the right idea here.  If Lemons is supposed to be a laid-back experience, then why not have a minimum fueling pit-stop time?  That might cut down on some of the crazier, more dangerous fueling practices...not to mention the egregious pit/paddock speeding violations.

How do you prevent the electric arc + fuel vapor = BOOM! problem with that electric pump setup?  Does any racing series, anywhere, allow an electric tank refill pump to be used in a hot pit situation?

Team Co-Craptain, Los Cerdos Voladores
Plymouth Neon
Yeah, we're horrible...but we're LEAST Horrible

10 (edited by Fish 2010-04-05 03:08 PM)

widgetsltd wrote:
Fish wrote:
mackwagon wrote:

What's next?  ALMS dry-break fill hoses?  It's only a matter of time before somebody tries that, since it's not a budget item and it's not prohibited.  I hate to say it, but I think that Chump/NASA have the right idea here.  If Lemons is supposed to be a laid-back experience, then why not have a minimum fueling pit-stop time?  That might cut down on some of the crazier, more dangerous fueling practices...not to mention the egregious pit/paddock speeding violations.

How do you prevent the electric arc + fuel vapor = BOOM! problem with that electric pump setup?  Does any racing series, anywhere, allow an electric tank refill pump to be used in a hot pit situation?

The drybreak and electric pump are safer than plastic fuel cans! The pump is a transfer pump made for fuel so its isolated and the battery is 20feet away so there is no risk of spark. There is no need to penalize teams by making them have a min pit time. Plus are you really going to send a official to every pit to time exactly how long the teams take??

You mean THIS fuel rig?
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y263/imagoodcitizen/Internet/Lemons/IMG_4429.jpg
Here's a close-up:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y263/imagoodcitizen/Internet/Lemons/IMG_4430.jpg
The tower is pretty simple and breaks down to nearly nothing.  The trick is getting a hold of the illegal-in-California jugs.  The hose uses a ball valve that helps control the flow of the gas so that we can top it off more easily than trying to wrestle with that 12 gallon jug on top. 

Keep your vent large and unobstructed and the gravity feed works really well. 

We couldn't use this at ChumpCar, but instead used it to fill the 5-gallon jugs.  I hate that 5 gallon jug rule.

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing
"That's probably wrong, but it's worth a shot."

Actually, when you pit an official gives you(or sticks to your windshield) a sticky note with the time written on it, and before you're allowed back out another official will check your time to make sure you've been in for at least 5 minutes.  I think the system works well, though I'm not so sure about doing it that way with 100+ car fields.

1978 AMC Pacer - The Blue Flag Special
BFE GP '12 - IOE
BFE GP '13 - Co-Organizer's Choice w/ Speed Holes Wrenching

Rockford Brodie wrote:

Actually, when you pit an official gives you(or sticks to your windshield) a sticky note with the time written on it, and before you're allowed back out another official will check your time to make sure you've been in for at least 5 minutes.  I think the system works well, though I'm not so sure about doing it that way with 100+ car fields.

Like I said its awesome that Lemons does NOT do this and it sets them above Chump IMO.

Chump uses NASA pit rules BUT with:

1. a 5 minute minimum

2. no 10 gallon fuel limit I am aware of

3. no tire change restrictions

So they don't really use NASA pit rules.

ttp://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/enduro.pdf

With a 5 minute minimum, why do they care what kind of fuel rig you have?

Chump sorta uses NASA rules as well as Lemons rules.

NASA and probably SCCA pretty much only allow 5 gallon jugs in most classes.

CARB restrictions mean what we used to call a gas can is now called a Utility Jug.

CARB compliant gas cans SUCK!!!  They spill and leak more than non-BARB compliant cans.  So instead of reducing environmental pollution, they just add more.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy wrote:

With a 5 minute minimum, why do they care what kind of fuel rig you have?

CARB restrictions mean what we used to call a gas can is now called a Utility Jug.

CARB compliant gas cans SUCK!!!  They spill and leak more than non-BARB compliant cans.  So instead of reducing environmental pollution, they just add more.

+1

The jug size stretches out pit times, so why have a 5-minute minimum?  Also, teams who don't fuel during the pit are not held to the 5-minute minimum.  Krider's pits were frickin' amazing since they ran a giant fuel cell.  They were in and out in 1:30!  Spectacular to watch.

That's why we have the out-of-state jugs.  The CARB-compliant bottles are slow, leak all over the place and ultimately a pain to deal with.

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing
"That's probably wrong, but it's worth a shot."

Fish, I get that you don't care for Chump's fuel rules, was just explaining what actually happens, and that it's not a big deal for teams that don't normally do 12 second pit stops.

1978 AMC Pacer - The Blue Flag Special
BFE GP '12 - IOE
BFE GP '13 - Co-Organizer's Choice w/ Speed Holes Wrenching