Topic: Porsche 924 Lemons car

I'm considering picking up a 924 for use as a Lemons car, when you can find them they seem to sell for next to nothing. Cheap, lightweight, they look simple to work on, kind of an oddball car. Anyone have any practical experience owning, racing or building these? Is this just a  bad idea or is it a REALLY bad idea?

Re: Porsche 924 Lemons car

The first ones were real bastards. Audi/VW anemic 4 cylinder.

great car for Lemons.....the bummer is the early cars had the WEAK engine around 95-110hp....but the 86-88 924's had the 944 engine and over 150hp...with not much more weight...  Ideally a 924 turbo is the car to have...170+hp in a 2300lb or less car....that would be VERY competitive in Lemons racing!!! 

The most obvious issues in 944 engined 924's is the oil starvation that the 928 suffers from too..it can be fixed....since ventilated blocks is not much fun...or rod bearings that look like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm1BlKelA3M

I don't know if the early 2.0L engines have the oiling problem

Try talking to the "old fartini and sons" racing...they campaign two 924's in Lemons!!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

sergio wrote:

The first ones were real bastards. Audi/VW anemic 4 cylinder.

Yes, let's hope it's one of these.

We run a 1979 924.  The early engines have little power and the k-jetronic injection is very sensitive to contaminants.  On the upside, our sheared crank pully resulted in no bent valves  (non-interference 2.0L) and they don't have the oiling issues that affect the 2.5L #2 bearing (these issues can be minimized - so don't let it scare you).
I also track an S2 944 3.0L as well - so I've become familiar with most of the family range.  Shoot me a message is you need any other info.  I'd be happy to have another 'toofah at the track that we can scavenge parts from.

Paluck
Rooster Juice Racing
Bay Area, CA

a 924 Turbo for $500? Sure, yea, right...

ifb_mole wrote:

I agree......BUT....  a "normal" 924 with a ghetto charger for $500...sure that can happen!!!! 

924's in race trim are pretty light....175hp is plenty...

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

icemang17 wrote:
ifb_mole wrote:

I agree......BUT....  a "normal" 924 with a ghetto charger for $500...sure that can happen!!!! 

agreed, but  it has BS laps written all over it though

I don't think you have anything to worry about by way of BS laps with a 924.  That is until the top 25 cars in any race have several 924's in them.

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

Here's one for $600 in Dallas -- I'm certain you can get it cheaper

No affiliation, etc...

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/1675446981.html

11 (edited by SuperDave 2010-04-09 10:05 PM)

My brother has bought two 924turbos @ $500 ea, with good hoods and front valances which are good money as sell off items.  But I don't think he is planning on racing either.

Well , I stand corrected, I guess you can one for $500, it would make for one fast car too.

Grass Roots Motorsports has an article this month on the 924-944 family of cars. The only model they say to never touch with a ten foot pole is the 924 turbo. So in other words... a perfect lemon!

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice

GnomeFabTech wrote:

I don't think you have anything to worry about by way of BS laps with a 924.  That is until the top 25 cars in any race have several 924's in them.

Don't forget the power of Porsche when it comes to getting BS laps......  they seem attracted to them

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

ifb_mole wrote:
icemang17 wrote:
ifb_mole wrote:

agreed, but  it has BS laps written all over it though

unless Eyesore brings it 

:>)

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

ifb_mole wrote:

I found one several years ago for $100. It was covered in ten times more moss than the Hurling Moss car and the head and turbo were in the back but it was mostly  a complete car. However thankfully I had no place to park it so I didn't buy it.

Yeah - don't underestimate Porsche's as BS magnets
Hell - we got BS laps for our '79 924.
I think we rolled through tech at the wrong time.  After the race, when got our residual value assigned - Jay and the judges looked back to our initial tech judging.  They agreed that the 924 was a heap and Judge Jonny had the following comment
"We gave a 924 three BS laps? My lord are we cruel sons of bitches."
:-)

Paluck
Rooster Juice Racing
Bay Area, CA

paluck wrote:

Yeah - don't underestimate Porsche's as BS magnets
Hell - we got BS laps for our '79 924.
I think we rolled through tech at the wrong time.  After the race, when got our residual value assigned - Jay and the judges looked back to our initial tech judging.  They agreed that the 924 was a heap and Judge Jonny had the following comment
"We gave a 924 three BS laps? My lord are we cruel sons of bitches."
:-)

Agreed that "timing" of BS inspection is VERY important!!   

Whats funny for all the heat that Porsches get in BS inspection....not one EVER has won the race or IOE....  I like to think of it as a perfect 0% batting average!!

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

We're hope to be in for the IOE with our 924 turbo.  It lasted only half the first day at Sears, but at Thunderhill, we plan to finish.
FARTINI - Our paint runs faster than our cars.

Jim

20 (edited by YesIFit 2010-04-12 10:52 AM)

Scud.Ig wrote:

Here's one for $600 in Dallas -- I'm certain you can get it cheaper

No affiliation, etc...

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/1675446981.html

No back glass? Dude .. Porsch-amino

http://images.craigslist.org/3m43o03l35O25Z45R2a43519119f757af18f9.jpg
http://images.craigslist.org/3k43p03l05O65Q15X1a4376445103f5861cde.jpg

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

From past and current experience, stick to 924S, 944 and at last resort - 924 turbo.  We paid $250 for the turbo and still overpaid.  Parts are easy to get - easy upgrade to disk brakes on the turbo.  wheels, brakes sustems, and suspension are swappable.
FARTINI
OLD Fast Auto Race Team & Sons
Jim

OldFart wrote:

From past and current experience, stick to 924S, 944 and at last resort - 924 turbo.  We paid $250 for the turbo and still overpaid.  Parts are easy to get - easy upgrade to disk brakes on the turbo.  wheels, brakes sustems, and suspension are swappable.
FARTINI
OLD Fast Auto Race Team & Sons
Jim

just be sure to have lots of extra rod bearings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2