Topic: New Team Intro for Chicago race

What do you get when you combine a BBQ pitmaster, a wrench wielding guitar hero, a Juliard educated business entrepreneur, and a handful of art students?  A race team of course!  On behalf of Team Carbeque, I would like to announce our intention to compete in the Rod Blagojevich Never-Say-Die 500 this October.  We will be manifold cooking during race stints using our specially modified Saab 900, hoping to revolutionize the art of flameless (we hope) BBQ.  Our sauces and dry rubs will be 100% our own recipe!  Maybe even a special edition for Lemons?

See you at the track, and be sure to regularly stop by our pits as we will be taking meat off during driver changes.  And don't worry, you wont be pulling rust grit out of your teeth.  We will fabricate a specially enclosed heat controlled box against the exhaust manifold to ensure the most stable cooking under race conditions.  The engine bay of our 900 is perfectly shaped for this, which is a major reason for picking this car.

Our carbeque is a naturally aspirated 1989 Saab 900 that we got for $400.  It has some transmission issues (no second gear or reverse), but the previous owner supplied us with what he claims to be a good spare.  She's rough (duh), but a runner through and through, and over the next few months we will get up to full speed.

Our website is at www.thecarbeque.com and will hopefully be fully up and running in a week or two.  Expect several videos, and lots of picture updates.  Thanks for checking us out!

Adam, Adam, Dan, Mitch, Sam, and Max
Team Carbeque

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2796/4495568034_128f04b505_o.jpg

Re: New Team Intro for Chicago race

Welcome!  I like your attitude smile  However, might want to have a plan B for the bbq just in case the tech inspectors aren't quite as fond of manifold cooked meat.

Somehow I have a feeling you will have a well executed theme, can't wait to see it.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

3 (edited by cbq_tailspin 2010-04-05 08:10 PM)

We'll pay special attention to get it through tech, we really wanna cook during driver stints!  The engine bay layout in the non turbo 900 really seems to suit the idea well.  Later in the build we'll have videos and tests.  The box will be enclosed and separated from the manifold by a few Nomex planks (I have a connection big_smile).  Adding or removing planks will regulate the temperature of the meat.  There's also the possibility of not starting the meat in the car but its too early in the build to work out those finite details.  Peace.

4 (edited by JThw8 2010-04-06 04:49 AM)

I have no doubt you will do it with the utmost care and safety in mind, but folks in tech sometimes have no sense of humor about anything they find to be questionable.  Can't blame them for it, just be prepared for it.

Might be worth an email to Jay and/or Nick to get thier input on the subject.

We need a setup like that on the BABE rally, would be great to get to the evening checkpoint and have some BBQ waiting under the hood!  I think someone did some manifold cooking a few years ago but it was just a can of pork and beans on their exhaust, not a spectacular setup like yours.

If you're free the first week in June you should join us smile

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

you're going to make the other drivers on track hungry from smelling the food cooking and they will have to pit early because they can't stand it any longer - i see your strategy!

Where are you based out of?  I'm in Elgin, IL and would be happy to lend a hand.

Aaron

1999 Astro (Green the Daily Driver) - 2WD, 4.3L, 3.23, 200k+ miles, FE2 steering
1997 Astro (Grumpy the $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 330k+ miles on the orig eng and trans, $30 eBay fuel pump

ihatemybike wrote:

Where are you based out of?  I'm in Elgin, IL and would be happy to lend a hand.

Thanks!  We are northern Illinois, and are about to secure a shop to do the transswap in either Waukegan or Kenosha.  Details will be on our site when it goes up I'll see you guys around smile

Just got the OK for our theme from Jay himself, we are good to go!

I look forward to seeing how this works out in person, I had a similar idea for our LeSabre at Lamest Day with strapping a pot of beef stew to the muffler, but we never put it into practice though.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

Nice! Nothing like some Manifold Eats! Im from the area as well and plan on attending on 10/23 in my Ford Fairmont..... Cya Soon!