1 (edited by prime suspect 2010-03-28 02:06 PM)

Topic: fueling procedures and hot pit rules for Gingerman

does anybody have these nailed down yet  ???  !!!!    im still working on fueling logistics and need to know   will i be able to bring my own fuel in 55 gal drums in the back of a pickup and just park the truck where ever they are storing bulk fuel at the track ? ( a la nelson ledges )  we would then use a kids wagon and a couple plastic fuel jugs to ferry it to wherever we can fuel the car .   my other option was to just use the fuel tank that we are going to mount ( semi style ) under our team bus for gas that powers the generator and use a pump or whatever to refill the plastic ferry jugs             will we be fueling in the paddock ?     in the hot pits ?    in the showers ?   across the street ?  inquiring minds want to know   !!

spectator "Lamest Day 09",DNF "American Irony" 2010,DNS "Capitol Offense"2010,DNF "Gingervitis"2011,DNF"ShowroomShlock"2011 maybe someday....                                                                                     
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"luckily I didnt go into the mountain,.......I went over the cliff. I was doin 300 MPH sideways and 100 ft. down at the same time............"

Re: fueling procedures and hot pit rules for Gingerman

BUMP

spectator "Lamest Day 09",DNF "American Irony" 2010,DNS "Capitol Offense"2010,DNF "Gingervitis"2011,DNF"ShowroomShlock"2011 maybe someday....                                                                                     
"luckily I didnt go into the mountain,.......I went over the cliff. I was doin 300 MPH sideways and 100 ft. down at the same time............"

3 (edited by FJ40Jim 2010-03-29 07:08 AM)

Hey Prime!
Yes, we would like to know also.  I have a crewman flying in, and we would like to know if he should go to the trouble of bringing his firesuit, helmet,etc.

see you at the track...

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

prime suspect wrote:

does anybody have these nailed down yet  ???  !!!!    im still working on fueling logistics and need to know   will i be able to bring my own fuel in 55 gal drums in the back of a pickup and just park the truck where ever they are storing bulk fuel at the track ? ( a la nelson ledges )  we would then use a kids wagon and a couple plastic fuel jugs to ferry it to wherever we can fuel the car .   my other option was to just use the fuel tank that we are going to mount ( semi style ) under our team bus for gas that powers the generator and use a pump or whatever to refill the plastic ferry jugs             will we be fueling in the paddock ?     in the hot pits ?    in the showers ?   across the street ?  inquiring minds want to know   !!

+1.  Would like to know also.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

FJ40Jim wrote:

Hey Prime!
Yes, we would like to know also.  I have a crewman flying in, and we would like to know if he should go to the trouble of bringing his firesuit, helmet,etc.

see you at the track...

I'm sure the rules will be similar to the rest of the races.  Two people - both in full safety gear.  One fuels while the other holds the fire bottle at a safe distance.  Visors must be down.

The only question is WHERE the fueling will be done.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Jeff G 78 wrote:
FJ40Jim wrote:

Hey Prime!

see you at the track...

I'm sure the rules will be similar to the rest of the races.  Two people - both in full safety gear.  One fuels while the other holds the fire bottle at a safe distance.  Visors must be down.

The only question is WHERE the fueling will be done.

that and can we bring our gas and if so in what bulk container/s  and where can we keep it if we bring it ?

The American irony event page has been updated.  There will not be fueling in a hot pit.  Fueling happens at your paddock or at the gas pump if buying fuel there.
Here's the fuel rules:
<<Fuel Sold On-Site: Yes: 93, 100, and 110 octane.

FUEL RULES: MINIMUM 2-HOUR PENALTY FOR ANY INFRACTION!

o Fueling allowed in designated Fuel Area (Fuel Pumps) and your paddock space
          o Fuel Area will be defined at the Driver's Meeting (ie, please don't bug us before then)
          o Two people minimum, one holding extinguisher while fueling from jugs (applies to your paddock space too)
          o All people in Fuel Area must wear the same safety gear as a driver when fueling from jugs or cans
          o Engine and kill switch must be OFF during fueling
          o NO ONE ALLOWED IN THE CAR DURING FUELING
          o A NEW DRIVER CAN GO INTO THE CAR AFTER FUELING
          o ABSOLUTELY NO OTHER WORK ALLOWED IN THE FUEL PUMP AREA (no tire checks, no fluid checks, etc.)
          o You May pump fuel from the pumps without Nomex - just like the gas station...>>

Jim C.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

FJ40Jim wrote:

The American irony event page has been updated.  There will not be fueling in a hot pit.  Fueling happens at your paddock or at the gas pump if buying fuel there.
Here's the fuel rules:

o ABSOLUTELY NO OTHER WORK ALLOWED IN THE FUEL PUMP AREA (no tire checks, no fluid checks, etc.)

Ok, so my stupid question of the day is about this rule.  I am assuming that this means no other work can be done on the car during fueling.  Otherwise it would mean we can't work on our car in the paddock space.....right?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Top-Fool- … 77?ref=sgm
#34 Save the Tatas Subaru Impreza
2010 Detroit Irony 32nd/Capital Offense 68th/Grand Bull 26th/Rod Blago "FIF"

porkchops22 wrote:
FJ40Jim wrote:

Here's the fuel rules:

Ok, so my stupid question of the day is about this rule.  I am assuming that this means no other work can be done on the car during fueling.  Otherwise it would mean we can't work on our car in the paddock space.....right?

That part is just about fueling that is done @ the fuel pumps. If you fuel in your paddock space (from utility jugs, etc.) then you have to follow all the fueling rules, but once the fueling procedure is done, then you can do whatever work you want on your car. If you fuel at the pumps, then you have to go to your paddock space to do any work on the car after you complete your fueling at the pumps.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

ABSOLUTELY NO WORK ALLOWED IN THE FUEL PUMP AREA means "Don't be hogging up space around the fuel pumps doing a tire change while other cars are waiting for the pump."  Go to the pump, get gas, get out of the way.

I wonder if we would be better off filling at the pump, or buying 10-15 gals in jugs, then fueling the car in our paddock...?

Jim C.

Depends on where you end up being paddocked.  There are probably 10-20 spots near the hot pit out that are very close.  Depending on how they manage the flow of cars on and off track, the pumps could be a huge pain in the ass to use.  We'll just have to see how they set it up.

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

12 (edited by prime suspect 2010-04-13 06:10 AM)

so    if we bring a couple 55 gallon drums of gas in our " transporter" we can just refill our 5 gal. plastic jugs out of them in the transporter without unloading them ?  or do We have to  "store " the drums where the gas pumps are ,refill the plastic 5 gals there and haul em to our paddock space to refill the car ?     that was one of my ORIGINAL questions    We were also thinking of maybe just fueling the car straight out of the drum ( that remains IN the transporter) if the hose is long enough,this would be with a gas station type handle and hose setup on an electric barrel pump.    would that be legal ?  if so  would it still take 2 people in nomex with a fire extinguisher etc. ?    We are trying to avoid having to wrestle around a 300lb drum of gas if we can avoid it !!

How many 5 gallon jugs do you have?  You can always drive to town to fill them up in between pit stops as a worst case scenario.  I think most cars will only need to refuel twice on saturday.  Some teams may only need one if there is alot of yellow, and conservation.

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

we have 2    5 gal fuel jugs and a back up 5 gal " normal " plastic container.    the car gets BAD mileage  we burned up almost all of a 15.5 gal tank in 5   20 min track day sessions last weekend         and yes      the worst case scenario is a bunch of trips the the gas station with the jugs

FJ40Jim wrote:

ABSOLUTELY NO WORK ALLOWED IN THE FUEL PUMP AREA means "Don't be hogging up space around the fuel pumps doing a tire change while other cars are waiting for the pump."  Go to the pump, get gas, get out of the way.

I wonder if we would be better off filling at the pump, or buying 10-15 gals in jugs, then fueling the car in our paddock...?

Totally wrong.

This means when gasoline is being poured into your car, you cannot be doing anything else to the car. You cannot check the tire pressure. You can't even open the hood.

You put the gas in, and once the gas cap is back on THEN you can do other stuff.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Judge Jonny wrote:
FJ40Jim wrote:

Totally wrong.

This means when gasoline is being poured into your car, you cannot be doing anything else to the car. You cannot check the tire pressure. You can't even open the hood.

You put the gas in, and once the gas cap is back on THEN you can do other stuff.

See, I thought "No work allowed in the fuel pump area" meant that no work was allowed in the fuel pump area.

So we have the judge's blessing to do our tire swaps on the paved pad at the gas pumps?  After the cap is on, of course.

Jim C.

Other than "How can I get the laps I lost due to an undeserved penalty restored?" the questions we dread most at the track have to do with the never-ending search for fueling-policy loopholes.

To answer a few we've had in the past: No, you can't skip the Nomex if your fire-extinguisher dude is a fireman at his day job. No, you can't use a transmission funnel and a 5-gallon bucket of gas for fueling, regardless of how many dudes you have holding the bucket. Yes, you will get yelled at if your homemade fuel-dumper rig spews gas all over everybody.

we have decided to avoid the whole controversy and just push the car around the track   
  ( which is probably what will be needed anyway after it fails catastrophicaly at fri. practice)

prime suspect wrote:

we have decided to avoid the whole controversy and just push the car around the track   
  ( which is probably what will be needed anyway after it fails catastrophicaly at fri. practice)

Your car looked pretty damn good last weekend.  Good luck when it counts.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

FJ40Jim wrote:

So we have the judge's blessing to do our tire swaps on the paved pad at the gas pumps?  After the cap is on, of course.

Jesus Fucking Christ NO!!!

You're already down five laps just for asking such a lame question

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Are driver changes ONLY allowed in the hot pit?

Drive more, type less.

fairgentleman Z wrote:

Are driver changes ONLY allowed in the hot pit?

No.

Why is this so difficult?

ok, fuel the car. DO NOTHING ELSE UNTIL YOU'RE FINISHED WITH FUEL.

if your car is at the gas station, take it to your pit, and do whatever you need to do (check tires, add oil/water, change brakes, etc. there.

i you're not doing anything to the car, put your driver in the thing and head out.

pretty simple, actually. even i got it  smile