Topic: How are cars staged?

Is it first come, first serve or is there a qualifying race?

Re: How are cars staged?

Usually a random car number picked from a hat while the cars are circulating under yellow doing transponder checks.  Green is dropped for that car.

The start of the race is among the least critical things you have to worry about.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

Months before the race you apply to enter.  The organizers notify you if your entry is accepted.  Everyone who is accepted can race.  Just before the start of the race all the cars circle the track at a moderate speed.  At some apparently random point (as described in the prior comment) the green flag is shown and the race begins.

It's an enduro.  There is no point in fighting for pole position.

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

Thanks to you both.

I like it !!!  A good common sense way to do it smile

Rolling starts are better ..... and with huge fields a random start means there there are no clusters during the first few laps.

The start only matters if your car makes the first laps. At Sears I saw at least 2 cars coming of the track under tow before the the green went out. Plus a couple for transponder issues, including ours. So laps count more than starts.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

At the last MSR Houston race they picked the LeCar as the green flag car, according to My Laps.

Doug I wrote:

Rolling starts are better ..... and with huge fields a random start means there there are no clusters during the first few laps.

In my experience, the clusters begin forming about a half-lap after the course goes green.  ;-)

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

That's when patience can make you faster than the throttle. wink

10 (edited by icemang17 2010-04-18 01:30 PM)

race start is quite wild.....in theory all cars cruise around under yellow, but a couple always break down in 1-2 laps which makes the yellow longer.....then maybe 20 minutes later all the running cars are alone on track....green flag drops for a few minutes until the next crap can breaks down....  hopefully its only a local yellow and you can race in the rest of the track until the busted car is removed......  Typically after about an hour things settle down with the reliable cars starting to pit and the other cars on jack stands in the pits while the teams frantically scramble to fix whatever they can!!!!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

icemang17 wrote:

race start is quite wild.....in theory all cars cruise around under yellow, but a couple always break down in 1-2 laps which makes the yellow longer.....then maybe 20 minutes later all the running cars are alone on track....green flag drops for a few minutes until the next crap can breaks down....  hopefully its only a local yellow and you can race in the rest of the track until the busted car is removed......  Typically after about an hour things settle down with the reliable cars starting to pit and the other cars on jack stands in the pits while the teams frantically scramble to fix whatever they can!!!!

icemang17 is completely correct.  Everyone gets out on the track under yellow.  At least 2 cars... elect to take in the scenery.  Many moons later, the green drops randomly.  Two things happen: 1) it becomes apparent which teams have radios and spotters and 2) more cars break down.  After more yellow, the truly unreliable cars have been weeded out and a good day of full course green begins.

Until those (more) reliable cars start crashing into each other.  And then more yellow ensues.  Hopefully, not red.

Seriously, though, if a driver on your team has zero experience with the track, send him out first.  S/he'll have plenty of time to learn the course and experiment with lines.

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

It's an endurance race. Who cares where you start. You won't win by leading the first lap.

sergio wrote:

It's an endurance race. Who cares where you start. You won't win by leading the first lap.

Good point.....I wonder how many teams leading the 1st day take the win on day 2?

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

icemang17 wrote:
sergio wrote:

Good point.....I wonder how many teams leading the 1st day take the win on day 2?

I know who was in second place at the end of Sat. and took the win the next day....:)

sergio wrote:
icemang17 wrote:
sergio wrote:

I know who was in second place at the end of Sat. and took the win the next day....:)

Ya but they drove a SHO.....thats pure cheatonium!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

:>)

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2