Topic: Blocking off cockpit from engine and fuel tank area

There are a few penetrations for factory harnesses using factory grommets.  May I retain those or do I have to re-route all wiring?  Can I fill the grommets with fire stop goop?

Re: Blocking off cockpit from engine and fuel tank area

wiring that's in the stock locations is legal. any other holes must be covered with some type of sheet metal.

I recommend used beer cans riveted over the holes. You get to enjoy the beer and then use the can for free. And it passes tech, too!

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:

I recommend used beer cans riveted over the holes. You get to enjoy the beer and then use the can for free. And it passes tech, too!

Stock is fine.....pretty much always..unless its rusted or something....

My "rule" (ya right) is if you can see through it....better patch it up!!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Thanks guys.  I'm down with the beer can thing

For example, if the fuel tank is in the trunk area, any openings between the trunk and the cockpit must be permanently sealed with bolted, riveted, or welded metal panels.

I'm guessing epoxying the metal is not allowed? If I've been drinking beer it's a lot safer than welding or drilling for rivets or bolts. How does this rule relate to having the fuel pumps, but not the fuel tanks in the trunk? I was planning on epoxying some scrap sheet metal over the holes in the trunk bulkhead.

zip screws are your friend. some of the cars are held together with them.

forddragracer wrote:

zip screws are your friend. some of the cars are held together with them.

I resemble that remark....

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Yeah, I just hate using them there, especially since the ECU and associated wiring is right there.