1 (edited by Eric Giberson 2010-04-26 06:51 AM)

Topic: Mid-engine conversion, subframe?

Our team is having the debate whether it is best to graft the entire front subframe form our donor car into the metroneige or simple just swap the rear hubs with a set of front hub, cut a big hole in the floor of the car  and build a tranny/engine cradle.

What do you guys think?

Check out our smoke breathing two stroke monster build...I mean imminent failure at http://metroneige.blogspot.com.

Re: Mid-engine conversion, subframe?

I vote for the solution that requires the most welding and grinding... 

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_iKh_q_zglQU/S9WksDVLGII/AAAAAAAAAPg/0AxpFU98qi0/s288/CIMG1533.JPG

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

TheHeckler wrote:

Not sure we can build a space frame car within our budget, but I like the way you think.

Check out our smoke breathing two stroke monster build...I mean imminent failure at http://metroneige.blogspot.com.

Eric Giberson wrote:
TheHeckler wrote:

Not sure we can build a space frame car within our budget, but I like the way you think.

Scrap steel - find a local place and pick some up.  You can find all kinds of deals on miscut short (up to 10' long) lengths.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Whole subframe! That's essentially what GM did to create the Fiero. And we know how that turned out...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

I think you are better off going with the big hole and putting the whole sub frame in. When we put the motorcycle engine into the Angry Hamster Z600 we simply trimmed as much as we could off the motorcycle frame and welded it into the cage. Didn't have to worry about fabricating all those mounting points

Edward

Edward
Angry Hamster Racing
Angry Hamster Racing on Facebook

RobL wrote:
Eric Giberson wrote:
TheHeckler wrote:

Scrap steel - find a local place and pick some up.  You can find all kinds of deals on miscut short (up to 10' long) lengths.

I buy all the cheap scrap I can find at the local joints and I found a place in Oklahoma that sells new steel very cheap.  J I Manufacturing http://jimfg.com/steelINDEX.html
If you can't find it there, you don't really need it.

1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine

he is not kidding.......

Eric Giberson wrote:

Our team is having the debate whether it is best to graft the entire front subframe form our donor car into the metroneige or simple just swap the rear hubs with a set of front hub, cut a big hole in the floor of the car  and build a tranny/engine cradle.

What do you guys think?

I'm a fan of grafting a whole unibody section in - Keeps all the geometry.. been meaning to try it smile

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

I'm relying on the Renault structure as little as possible.  Not only does it rust through if  you sneeze on it, it's got to be the most ducticle alloy I've ever seen.  Building cradles and welding it to oxide impregnated tissue paper is a royal pain.

Of course, I'm not doing a very good job of following my own advice.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Two teams building mid-engine Metro's with Yamaha engines? What are the chances?!!

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

Crab Spirits wrote:

Two teams building mid-engine Metro's with Yamaha engines? What are the chances?!!

About the same as two teams building mid engined renaults...

1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine

Having two front suspensions sure will make for a funny driving Metro.  I think you might be better of grafting some front knuckles onto the rear control arms and taking it from there.  As for mating a snowmobile engine to a Metro/Swift/Firefly trans, hmmmm.  What's the redline of that 2 smoker??  Will you end up with a car that's geared to go 200mph?

Cars, cameras, and easy living...