1 (edited by Evil Genius 2010-03-13 02:37 PM)

Topic: Test day at TH April 27th, 1.5 weeks before Going for broken

Yeah, its a Tuesday, but, somebody canceled and the day became available, so I took it.   The first annual Evil Genius Racing test and tune day... What could possibly go wrong???

Here's the plan: two run groups, Lemons beginners with instruction, and race/ advanced.     Cars must be race prepped, to Lemons or NASA/SCCA/NCRC, etc. spec.  Standard safety gear will be required.

No race license is required, but some race experience is a prerequisite to be in the advanced group.   

At least five 25/30 minute sessions plus an open run group at the end of the day.  I am limiting the groups to 25 cars each, so the track won't be so crowded.   

The plan is to have the beginning group, and whomever wants to join from the advanced group have a little wheel to wheel practice at the end of the day, a little scrimmage, if you will.  We'll run it for 10 minutes, throw the checker, give everybody 5 minutes to change drivers (practice drivers change) and do it again.  We'll send out a pace car and bunch everybody up, and get the newbies some wheel to wheel practice before the big event a week and a half later.

Cost:       Car and first driver  $210, each additional driver $50  You can bring your whole team (up to 5 drivers)  for  $340       We will also be able to pre-tech cars and give set up advice.   

I will start a sign up page on my website, but in the meanwhile let me know if you're interested and we can start making a list.  This is open to all racecars, not just Lemons, and I believe it will fill up at these prices.     The format is not set in stone yet: I'll listen to input from signed up racers as to the length of the sessions and how we do it, I want this to be a successful event!   

email John at  john@evilgeniusracing.com to sign up..     

Web site:

http://www.evilgeniusracing.com/track_d … thill.html

Late April at TH is usually very nice, sunny and warm, with very little chance of rain. It is very difficult to get a day at this time of year.. usually the only available are in the cold/rain of winter or the 105 degree days in August.   If you sign up and pay before the end of March, it'll save you $20 off the total, or just $190 to $330     

-John

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Re: Test day at TH April 27th, 1.5 weeks before Going for broken

John
Sign me up......  I'll tell Sean about it tomorrow and maybe we'll bring the Widow out too!!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Count Dean and Edward in...

dtfastbear wrote:

Count Dean and Edward in...

SWEET......hopefully you can drive the Widow with 500+hp!!!!!  I'm sure Sean would like to know what it is capable of....  With an estimated 415whp @ 2850lbs or 6.7whp/L it should be able to keep up with Edward which should be around 7.5whp/lb......

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

I'll try and have the 'real' 746 ready.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

WOW! This sounds like a great idea. I will talk it over with my team and see if we can make it.  I know for sure that we could use a nice day to "tweak" the RX7.  I will email you as well.

DAMN!!!! SUX BEING SO FAR AWAY!!!!  We'll be at Willows or Buttonwillow.
Great idea!!!!!!!

We are getting quite a few sign ups, so don't be slow on it..   I'm getting a lot of 'I'll be there' without an actual sign up...  I need to nail this down.   So, if you're in, send me an e-mail..

Here is the website:

http://www.evilgeniusracing.com/track_d … thill.html

22 sign ups so far..

the "estate" will be there......  advanced group...& I'll instruct if needed....

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Curious since I've never been involved in something like this - how does the instruction work given that most of us don't have passenger seats?

drogers wrote:

Curious since I've never been involved in something like this - how does the instruction work given that most of us don't have passenger seats?

We follow you around or watch from the tower, but mostly talk and ask questions, surprisingly, it actually works....

Evil Genius wrote:
drogers wrote:

We follow you around or watch from the tower, but mostly talk and ask questions, surprisingly, it actually works....

I have extra radios with mics-earpieces I can loan out.......

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Bump-  the advanced group is 1/2 full and the beginning is 1/3 full, that is paid entries.  I have more  'yeah, I'm going to be there' people who haven't officially signed up yet.  It looks to be a fun day!

We still have a few slots, get your crapcan together and come on out. Yes it will be raining, or so it seems.   

3+ hours of track time, damp conditions, what could possibly go wrong.

-John

Hmm....  a wet track with lots of oil....what could possibly go wrong??   

I'll be there rain or shine, but personally I prefer shine.....

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

We're bringin' both cars, gonna be a wet and wild day.  See you all tomorrow!

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

Any info/details on when we're going to get started?  I'm coming, but will be leaving the LS1 Miata at home, as it doesn't look like perfect weather for 2400lbs, 350HP, short wheelbase and slick tires... smile

Cheers,

Dean

dtfastbear wrote:

Any info/details on when we're going to get started?  I'm coming, but will be leaving the LS1 Miata at home, as it doesn't look like perfect weather for 2400lbs, 350HP, short wheelbase and slick tires... smile

Cheers,

Dean

Drivers meeting at 0815 

track goes hot at 0900

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

To those who cancelled at the last minute because of the predicted rain and left the Evil Genius crew holding the bag financially, shame on you.  But, thanks, too, because you put the Karma wheels in motion and we had a BEAUTIFUL SUNNY DAY today at Thunderhill!!!

It was sad that only about a dozen cars showed up to take advantage of it, but I think we had the only sunny spot in California today.  We did not see any rain the entire day.  Seven hours of open track.  Several Lemons teams who found (and fixed some) problems that could have ruined their race weekends had they happened an hour into the race instead of an hour into the test day.

There were a couple cars that went home early on the trailer, but like I said, better today than two weeks from now!

Thanks to John and the rest of the EGR guys for a fantastic event today!

Cheers,

Dean

Nice to meet you Dean, and that 911 you were throwing around in the afternoon was a beautiful car...

Like you said though, what a beautiful day!  Thanks to the Evil Genius guys for keeping the event on, even though they took it in the shorts.  We learned a ton about our two rides.  It's not the greatest day when you're trailered and heading out 2 hours before the event is over, but now we know some weaknesses that we'll have ironed out well before we see everyone at Goin' For Broken.

See you all in two weeks (hopefully... damn Supra...)

Craig

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

Everyone MISSED OUT....we scored a sweet track day......basically an open test day ALL DAY..for 12 cars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Go out for a while....come in....go back out.....the only real downtime was lunch break for the corner workers....the rest of the time is was OPEN TRACK.....

Oddly enough it did kinda rain briefly....with blue skys over head....but the STRONG wind was bringing in sideways rain from somewhere else...but it wasn't enough to even get the track wet!!!

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2