Topic: Cain't Get Bayou - radio frequencies

Lots of us use FRS/GMRS radios for pit-to-car communications. During Gator-o-Rama we and another team ended up on the same frequency, which was rough on both of the teams since neither driver could reach the in-car radio to switch channels.

So let's share plans... I've set all our radios to channel 19, subchannel 27.
Anyone else care to stake a channel claim?

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

Re: Cain't Get Bayou - radio frequencies

Good luck with that.  We've shared freqs a few times and really was no big deal.  Just before speaking say the drivers name and then go on.  There are lots of teams racing that are not on the forums so you won't get this message out to everyone to be effective.

We are the people your parents warned you about.

I think one of the judges said that not all radio manufactures use the same sub channel frequecies. One good thing is there aren't very many teams for NO.

Yeah, I know forum hits will only get partial coverage, and sharing a freq. isn't the end of the world, but considering the low effort I thought it worth the effort.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

sergio wrote:

I think one of the judges said that not all radio manufactures use the same sub channel frequecies. One good thing is there aren't very many teams for NO.

The FRS and GMRS channel frequencies are all the same, but the "private channels" or sub-channels or whatever the manufacturer calls them are not regulated. However, even 2 people on the same channel but different sub-channels can interfere with one another to the extent that it may hinder transmission and receipt, even if you can't hear them.

This is why we are turning to semaphore. It's a little difficult for the driver, but at least it keeps things interesting.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

In the real world, the privacy codes on GMS/FMRS radios don't work so well; all they do is control de-squelching, which means it's still possible to step on/get stepped on when you're on the same channel with a different privacy code.

However, we don't have that many cars at No Problem, so it should be possible for everyone to find an open frequency.

We used the same channel as our car number at American Irony.  We had some cross talk but it wasnt bad.

Just a thought.

Pendejo - There is no such thing as a racing budget and if you can't afford to set it on fire and watch it burn while drinking a beer then don't race it.

In Houston we put a white t-shirt in the car, when the driver was ready to get out he held it out the window for 3 laps as he passed. That would give us enough time to get the new driver and gas ready.