Topic: Seat Padding

I need to make some bolsters/padding for my seat.  Is there a preferred material?  Is there something to avoid for fire/safety reasons?

I've been trying to think of something fireproof and cheap but all that comes to mind is bricks - which don't pass the comfort test.  A local farm supply store sells inch thick rubber floor mats that would work well.  I have no idea what their flammability is.

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

Re: Seat Padding

squidbreath wrote:

I need to make some bolsters/padding for my seat.  Is there a preferred material?  Is there something to avoid for fire/safety reasons?

I've been trying to think of something fireproof and cheap but all that comes to mind is bricks - which don't pass the comfort test.  A local farm supply store sells inch thick rubber floor mats that would work well.  I have no idea what their flammability is.

Anything soaked in gas comes to mind.
I think at the moment there are no rules as to what you use as padding for your seats.
I would just keep in mind you don't want it to be loose on the seat. If it comes lose it could be more of a hazard for the driver if it falls down between his legs or gets caught in the seat harness. All my opinion and not sanctioned by any racing organization.
Just make sure the driver is somewhat comfortable, he is going to be in the car a long time.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

1 gal zip-lock bag and a shot of great stuff insulating foam.  Just be in the seat when you make them.

Pegasus sells some two-part stuff that the open wheel guys use to make their custom seats. I think you pout the two-parts into a garbage bag, put the garbage bag in the seating area, and then sit/lay down in it to get it to form. Then it solidifies and you pull it from the bag and trim it to fit. It's probably a two-part expanding poly foam like Great Stuff.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

just a warning, great stuff dosen't dry if you don't let air get to it.

We use regular upholstery foam (oh shit, Nick is going to get on my case about padded bras again...) and cover it with wool/cotton blends. If we can find some cheap Nomex, we use that.

Captainess: #88 Scirocket Racing - Did someone say Pikachu?

Good point Marc - I leave the bag open so it cures.  The trick is using enough so it doesn't go everywhere.  Zip up the bag after and it stays clean.  You can also write on the bag who it fits.

2-part foam; it's available at any place that sells fiberglass materials.  Used to use it all the time to make seats when I was crewing for Star Mazda series.  Very easy to work with.
--Bob

If it ain't broken, fix it 'til it is.