Topic: Trans Cooler?

So...we baked the trans in our Camaro to a nice golden BLACK at gingerman.

We ran the same cooler we ran at Nelson with no problems...but it just was not up to the task this time.  So...any ideas from you guys to help our "new" trans keep its cool??  My idea is to run a bigger cooler and to move it from the radiator to up in the nose of the car were it won't get so much ambient heat from the radiator/engine.  Any other ideas are welcome.

I know...run a stick....trust me that's NOT gonna work for this team.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Re: Trans Cooler?

Use an old AC condenser. they are usually several times the volume of a trans cooler and can take like 300 PSI.  also easy to find.

Nemesis Ridiculii 240SX

3 (edited by vwdmc16 2010-05-01 06:41 PM)

2nd gend RX7 oil cooler with thermostst removed is also the bee's knee(s)

I like the condenser idea! So obvious yet it never ocurred to me to use it for the trans. Thanks for the tip.

Let's make better mistakes tomorrow

We just added a SECOND tranmission cooler to our auto transmission for 100 degree heat at Buttonwillow.

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice

Make sure that you eliminate the factory slip from your trans programming.  Ford likes to keep the bands slipping through the shifts and always slips the converter clutch on everything from 1993 to at least 2001.  If you don't eliminate the slip you will melt it down.

For Fords google J-Mod.  For Chebies I guess you drill certain metering holes to increase the shift rate.

Also, if you have the ability, change the software to increase the pressures both during and post shift to get rid of slip.

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

vwdmc16 wrote:

2nd gend RX7 oil cooler with thermostst removed is also the bee's knee(s)

x1,000,000%  It works GREAT in the 150K+ miles auto in the 928...don't really know the mileage since the odo doesn't work?  But after 48 hours ON TRACK it still works great....tranny temps NEVER get over 190F....  Even during all out race pace, think far harder than endurance racing pace..... 

Keeping the automatics cool is the ONLY way to assure it finishes the race....manuals need to be cool too...but that varies with the amount of HP too

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

8 (edited by Fish 2010-05-02 04:23 PM)

Best thing to do is swap it to a 5spd. No joke!

Otherwise get a bigger cooler with a bigger fan!

Fish wrote:

Best thing to do is swap it to a 5spd. No joke!

Otherwise get a bigger cooler with a bigger fan!

naw...just run a Mercedes automatic.....works for us!!!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2