Topic: what wheel bearing grease are you folks using?

What temp range do you look for ? 

I've got some stuff on the shelf good for 400 F

Will that hold up for wheel bearings?

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Re: what wheel bearing grease are you folks using?

Mobil Monolith

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5ZN11

Rich DeFrancisco
Chump Change Racing aka "The Bridesmaids"
1986 BMW 535im
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic … 8418604559

3 (edited by Mulry 2010-04-23 07:34 AM)

Bacon grease. Doesn't last long, but man it smells great when it burns off.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mag1 wheel bearing grease.  http://www.parcelparts.com/servlet/the- … isc/Detail

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

NOS/OEM.

Of course, after 40 years it more resembles something that you would find clogging your garbage disposal. The trick is to have an epic fail BEFORE your bearings heat up.

Bonus, you don't have random people licking your wheels on every pit-stop like on Mulrey's team.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

or using corn bread to mop up the drippings...

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

7 (edited by RobL 2010-04-23 08:55 AM)

"Sparky" Pete wrote:

Bonus, you don't have random people licking your wheels on every pit-stop like on Mulrey's team.

I WASN'T LICKING!  I was checking to see his brake wear.

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

I use Mobil 1 grease here at the house. The Lemons car gets whatever cheap crap Speedy has laying around. big_smile

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

Whatever came packed in there.  Hope it still works!

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

Almost didn't check this thread because I thought it would boring. Might be the funniest thread yet.

I have some 20 year old Mystic brand grease I'll be putting in the Jaggernaut.

I'm thinking lard, it's Lemons cheap at $1.19 a pound and doesn't have that attractive bacon smell to attract the police

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

Why do you think it's only $1.19 a pound? The best way to get good wheel-packing bacon grease is to fry the bacon yourself. It's really the best of both worlds.

And if you have any bacon grease left over after packing your bearings, it is the best grease for when you start to make a roux for gumbo. Ask the cajun boys and they'll back me up on that one.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

14 (edited by mharrell 2010-04-24 03:10 PM)

My wheel bearings don't need grease yet-- they're brand new, so the metal is still nice and shiny.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Valvoline hugh temp stuff, it was cheap (stole it from work)  I was worried that it might not hold up but it did just fine for us.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Whatever was on sale at Tractor Supply for $.99/tube.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

Bacon grease. Just don't fry the bacon in the nude.

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

margarine, like its supposed to be used for instead of eating.

Mike Peters
Former rotary brat pioneer.
3.17.08 Jalopnik Hoon of the day.  #hasbeen
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

very fine sand

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice

Junkyard Dog wrote:

Bacon grease. Just don't fry the bacon in the nude.

Yeah, we've all done that. It sucks, but hey it's BACON!
"Ouch! Yum. Ouch! Yum."

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

magnusracing wrote:

very fine sand

Very small rocks?

El Capitan de Substandard Racing -  Houston, Tx
2009 Yee Haw! It's Lemons Texas: 1973 Gremlin - Gremwow!
2010 Gator-O-Rama: 1973 Gremlin - Gremlin Express, Lassiez le Crapheaps Roulette - Gremlin - Most Heroic Fix
http://substandardracing.blogspot.com/

komododave wrote:

Very small rocks?

[king]A DUCK![/king]