1 (edited by atomicalex 2010-04-19 03:02 PM)

Topic: The Scirocket Scientists had a blast!!

So, uh, yeah... We are the team that got trailered on Saturday.

And we deserved it.

We kept making the same dumb mistake over and over. It was our experience that hurt us; we needed to adapt to a race control change and we didn't. Dumb dumb dumb.

We were very fortunate to be permitted to send our two flag-free drivers out on Sunday, and we are hugely grateful to Jay, Johnny, and Mr Murilee for that. They pulled the entire day with a single (unargued) 2WO flag that netted us the most tyres ever on a Lemons car. The six-tyre penalty was both the lowlight and the highlight of the weekend - low because of our flag count, high because we couldn't have earned it if we weren't out there racing. The cone of shame was suitably embarassing. It clashed with our paint scheme!

So why did we have a totally awesome weekend?

Everyone drove. Our driver who didn't get to drive at Ledges started and finished the race for us at GingerMan. We got our cage fixed by some really cool guys who didn't charge us enough. We all put on strong laps (except me, I'm slow). Our car ran great and stayed strong. We did not have to swap engines in the mud. We kept our emotions in check and stayed upbeat. We got a hilarious penalty and tried to look good serving it. We did our best to help out where we could. Taking the checker in a Scirocco was a huge deal for us. Our friend and fellow VW nut won the IoE with a car that we all knew would either fail hilariously or completely slay the competition.

We're looking forward to October. You know, now that we've figured out how to adapt to that race control change and all....... big_smile

Captainess: #88 Scirocket Racing - Did someone say Pikachu?

Re: The Scirocket Scientists had a blast!!

What was the dumb mistake? Inquiring minds...

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Passing under yellow coming into turn 5. Four flags for it. We were embarassed, disappointed with ourselves, etc. 3-4-5 was the place on the track that we were the fastest and could make up the most time, but 5 was also the hardest corner to see into for flagging. Our radios were being flaky, and we weren't getting the info to the drivers ahead of time, so we weren't warning them off the yellows the way we should have been.

It was a big learning experience on track communication and being overconfident. On the plus side, we know exactly what we need to do to improve and to run a cleaner race. The two 2WOs were both hero flags, rather take the black for that than a contact and only two for the whole weekend was not bad.

Captainess: #88 Scirocket Racing - Did someone say Pikachu?

I want pics of the Scirocco tug boat. And those aren't tires, in nautical terms, they're fenders.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Ahh, ok...I was wondering what the heck was on that thing.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2797/4536484204_e9a9674645_o.jpg

Fukushima Sushi Delivery
POS 325e

We had a blast being set up next to you guys. Hope to see you in October!

Nelson Ledges 10/09, Gingerman 4/10, Gingerman 10/10 (4th place!)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4008/4540007982_251f1d5105.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4021/4540007870_206eefa080.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4048/4539374409_37b1a98e4d.jpg

I would be the terrible driver that got us the last black flag... which turned into the 6 tire penalty (rather than being trailered... again).

That car is too damn much fun to fling around corners... Couldn't help myself, I guess.  Red mist set in tongue

I got to drive it as the "Tug Boat" and it was a blast. Finding the kart tires helped.

#88 Team Scirocket II