Topic: Two weeks to go. Is our cage any good?

Lemons Spring South is in two weeks. Nothing like asking a question of this magnitude at such a late date.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/jensenman/2010lemonscagerear.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/jensenman/2010lemonscageleft.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/jensenman/2010lemonscageroofhalo.jpg

http://www.wolfescape.com/Humour/NonMedPicts/WorkBetterUnderPressure.gif

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

2 (edited by jw33 2010-05-08 01:07 PM)

Re: Two weeks to go. Is our cage any good?

That's a good looking simple cage and the only thing you might need to add is a horizontal bar that goes between the two rear down bars. Other than that the cage looks great. The only thing I would have done different is gut the dash & put a dash bar in there and ran the harness bar all the way across the main hoop. Good job.

Shake and Bake
America, birthplace of the missionary position. You're welcome...

Definitely one of the better cages that's been put up here for review!

I think the way the halo ties into the main hoop is kind of weird.  Would have been better to eliminate those last bends and just go straight from the sides back into the main hoop.  Don't know if tech will have an issue with that or not.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

One of our drivers looks like Man Mountain Dean tongue and we decided to do it that way to get the halo above his melon, we were able to tuck it up inside the roof.  The car we had before had the tubes run straight back to the main hoop and Big Boy's noggin was about even with the top of the halo tube. It concerned me that if that big piece of crap ever got on its roof his helmet could hit the asphalt. I did a cage in a Saturn for another team last year with a similar design for the same reason, that one passed.

About the dash bar: again due to our driver size disparity (we have a real Mutt and Jeff scenario, why can't everyone be the same size? hmm ) we need to keep the tilt wheel. A dash bar would pretty much eliminate that. I got to rooting around behind the dash and found that this car already has a factory installed dash bar which is about 2" forward of the front legs of the cage. I was thinking about adding short tubes to tie the cage to the factory dash bar.

Is it a good idea to add a diagonal to the rear braces?

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

Why people don't build simple cages like this are beyond me... 

Did you drop the cage into the floor to get 360 welds on the top of the cage?

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

RobL wrote:

Why people don't build simple cages like this are beyond me... 

Did you drop the cage into the floor to get 360 welds on the top of the cage?

if they did the halo and the front legs first, they could tip it up and finish withouth worrying about 360 welds, easy to do when not against the roof smile

7 (edited by Junkyard Dog 2010-05-09 05:09 PM)

I didn't cut holes; I have this thing about always putting a main hoop on top of an existing 'box section' of the car if at all possible and that's where the main hoop plates are in this one, that would make it really difficult to do the hole saw and lift thing.

I put all the mount plates in first, set and squared the hoop on its plates, then positioned the halo and tacked it to the main hoop. There was no room between the roof and the main hoop to weld the top of the halo, so I then leaned the main hoop forward, welded the top 1/3 on each side, then set it back up and squared it again. Then the main hoop was tacked to its plates. Made the rear braces, set them in place and tacked them to the hoop at the top. I then bent and installed the front legs. Where the halo goes up into the roof, there is about 1 1/4" clearance so a MIG gun will fit in for a 360 degree weld. I tacked the bottom and welded the top 1/3 of the front legs. (Only welding the top 1/3 means you can still tweak the positions of tubes if needed.) The bottom of the front legs were tacked in place. I then checked square on eveything yet again and tacked the rear braces to their mount plates.  Once I was happy with all of that, I finished all the welds, installed the diagonal and the harness bar, bent and installed the drivers' door bars and last was the passenger door bar.

I keep saying I, there were two other team members who were right there with me. It took us about a day and a half to build it.

By the way, I bought one of those Pipe Masters and rarely have I been so disappointed with a tool. The wires are far too flimsy for it to work the way they claim it will. Worst $50 I have spent in a long time.

Then it's the camera perspective, it doesn't look like you have any room to get a gun up there.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

9 (edited by Doug I 2010-05-09 07:44 PM)

"have any room to get a gun up there"

we're not that bad on the track ....are we tongue

Looks good.I think the halo above head will be an issue .Looks like a 88-91 civic HB .I ran a 88-91 4dr for last 3 years and my seat was 4' off floor and its was a tight fit to roof but had 5'8"-6'7" drivers .

My car lasted 8 races til it got rearended .
these cars are light was saved my car was bend some tubing and run behind front fenders and will help with making front end stiffer too.

As for dsh its like 10 minutes to get dash out then you lose light 30 lbs of crap and a lot of room..Be careful with heater controls if they are good you can get $50 for them on ebay .

run a piece of tub from your a pillar bars on cage to a pillar on car near the bottom where the dash br would be.

call me if you got any question built a bunch of Lemons cages and honda cars.
Got tips.

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

Question for you Civic guys- are the gas lines along the floor driver side (right where the uprights would mount), and brake lines along the passenger side? they are on my '91. and if so, what did you do about them? relocate, or box over them, or..?

Our lines run inside the left rocker panel. Why Honda put them there is beyond me. hmm In the top and middle pictures you can see where we bent the lines inside out of the way temporarily while the cage was being built. We then tweaked the bends in the lines so they would clear the main hoop, cushioned close contact areas with short chunks of cheapo fuel line and then made aluminum plates to go over the lines, those are fastened to the car with 'drill n' tap' screws. The rules say fuel lines routed inside the car need to be encased in metal, there seems to be an allowance for factory installed lines but we weren't taking any chances.

Doug I wrote:

"have any room to get a gun up there"

we're not that bad on the track ....are we tongue

Be ready to duck. wink