Topic: I've discovered my Miata's instant window removal feature!

Hey all

So this morning when I was driving to work, I hit something. At least, I think I did. I was driving along, and I think I see something in the road and the next thing I know there's a loud POP, my ears are ringing, there's smoke everywhere and my nose burns. Dazed and confused, I pull to the side of the road (can't hear if the car is running or not, but I shut it off in case). I get out, gather my wits, look around and I can't find anything. It was then I discovered a handy feature of the miata: when the airbags go off, they destroy every f*$&ing glass window in the car. It blew out both the driver and passenger side windows, and the flap that usually covers the passenger airbag opened right into my windshield, jacking it up as well. Looking around the outside, there's not a mark to be found on the bumper, nothing under the car, nothing around, and the engine's not smoking like I had first feared. I fire it up, sounds good, and drive it 20 minutes back home.

So, what now? So far as I can see, I now need:
* New side windows
* New windshield
* New airbags
* new gauge cluster hood (may have been screwed up before; definitely is now)

I know it costs uber bucks to get airbags repacked, and I only have liability on the car (it wasn't worth much before - it most certainly isn't worth anything now). So I guess I'll just continue on without them? It's my DD... I know spec racers typically remove all of these parts (aside from the windshield) - are there any in the bay area or central valley area that would cut me a deal on these? I'd really like to get this back on the road as soon as possible...

BTW it sounds like this is what happened to my car.
http://www.aboutautomobile.com/Recal...da/Miata/Airba g
I've called Mazda, and my car hasn't received the fix. I'm waiting to hear what they'll cover.

Cliffs:
* Driving along
* Is that something in the-
* AIRBAGS!!!!!!
* *Pull over*
* Car runs fine, no evidence of impact, can't see anything in road or dragging under car
* Drive home, begin evaluating damage

Re: I've discovered my Miata's instant window removal feature!

I'd not heard of the airbag recall (and didn't look at it now), but the damage is typical for a Miata when the airbags pop.  Light front end damage used to total them for that very reason.  Very repairable front end damage, but, add two airbags and a windshield and the insurance company loses interest in repairing it.

Unless you're the paranoid type, just run without the airbags.  But, if you do, you should remove the seatbelt expansion loop. (a folded section of the seatbelt that's designed to give way and let you fall an additional 6" or so into the warm and loving arms of an airbag)

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

I probably would have had to grab the fresh undies mom told me to keep in the glovebox too.  Glad to hear you are okay.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

Pics of the damage
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii263/humjaba/Miata%20Airbags/th_IMG_2887.jpg http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii263/humjaba/Miata%20Airbags/th_IMG_2888.jpg http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii263/humjaba/Miata%20Airbags/th_IMG_2889.jpg

My 99 Civic Si DD has somewhat of a issue with this as well.  Hit a pot hole just right and BLAMO!  Mine hasn't done it yet but I know a handful of people who have had this happen.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Top-Fool- … 77?ref=sgm
#34 Save the Tatas Subaru Impreza
2010 Detroit Irony 32nd/Capital Offense 68th/Grand Bull 26th/Rod Blago "FIF"

6 (edited by Shvd_Box 2010-05-04 09:28 PM)

Nice... I had an HHR SS blow the bags just going down the road... crazy stuff... glad your doing alright

Hell On Wheels "Totally Not a Rental Car" Chrysler 300
Retreat From Moscow "Traded a Bar Tab for a Wagon" Subaru Legacy
Monterey Car Weeeeak -Dishonorable Mention- "Cocoa Beach A.S.S. Team" Oldsmobile Wagon
Fail Inc Motorsports Intergalactic Headquarters

Exact same thing happened to a friend of mine in his lowered miata. He caught, what i would consider, a small pot hole but it created enough of a load on the impact sensor to fire off the airbags and blow out his glass. He removed all airbags after that.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

8 (edited by Uncle Humjaba 2010-05-05 12:14 PM)

There's a guy in Texas who's sending me the airbags and windows off his 95 (built it as a spec racer) for a steal - I'm still debating whether or not I will hook them up. How does a 4-pt harness compare to 3pt + airbag in terms of safety (a 4pt = 5pt without crotch strap)? This is my DD, so a full 5 point would be a PITA, but what if I got a 5 point and just left the crotch strap under the seat for daily driving?

Don't put a harness in the car unless you have a proper rollbar.

I always felt safer with the 4-point and a roll bar than in a stock Miata w/ a 3-point and no rollbar.  That's likely a false sense of security, though.  In reality, for a full-frontal impact, you're probably safer with the airbag and stock seatbelt that's going to give a little bit and decelerate you "gently" rather than the 4-point that's going to make your body decelerate at the same rate as the chassis.

But, just like you can't trust a 20-year-old airbag to not go off randomly for no apparent reason... can you really trust them to work when you DO need them?  Seatbelts always work.

Get a 4-point with a regular production-car type latch.  Great for DD.  You might not be able to reach stuff like the heater controls and radio, though... but you get used to it.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

10 (edited by Uncle Humjaba 2010-05-05 10:40 PM)

I'm 6'3" so reaching things wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately that also means I need a racing seat bolted to the floor in order to fit under a roll bar.

I've got a 4-pt. corbeau harness that's not in use at the moment - email me if you're interested...

Shallow Pockets Racing, aka the newbies in the BP-themed Golf
-Summit Point 2010, 29/86, 0 mechanical problems - "Are you sure it's a VW?"

Loren wrote:

Don't put a harness in the car unless you have a proper rollbar.

Equally important are seats that will permit the harnesses to properly pass threw.

Justin
Team Cardorks: #901 Amtrack E36 / # 902 Philly E30 / #903 Integra TypeArrr!
Driving something, somewhere.

Just make sure you mount the harness properly... last thing you need is a harness that compresses your spine when your going forward. Nothing like a broken back from a minor fender bender.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Also practice emergency escapes.  And if you roll it wearing a harness and no roll bar that probably won't have a happy ending.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

dculberson wrote:

Also practice emergency escapes.  And if you roll it wearing a harness and no roll bar that probably won't have a happy ending.

If you roll a miata anyways you're in a world of hurt... not to mention the Miata gods will be asking how the fuck you managed to do it.

Sons of STIG