Topic: Kill Switch in Neg circuit

Working on wiring the kill switch on our first Lemon car- Is there any problem with just breaking the circuit between the battery negative terminal and chassis with the kill sw (Battery neg post to kill switch, then wire other side of switch to chassis/engine block). Any downside here? Steve

Re: Kill Switch in Neg circuit

A two pole switch is great.

The positive to the battery and the alternator charge wire are both broken simultaneously.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

sr903 wrote:

Any downside here? Steve

It's likely the engine might still run off the alternator. Take a look at these diagrams and the discussion.

http://www.ssdiv.com/master.html

Good Luck Everybody Else Racing. Yes, we have a fan page.

chicagozer wrote:
sr903 wrote:

Any downside here? Steve

It's likely the engine might still run off the alternator. Take a look at these diagrams and the discussion.

http://www.ssdiv.com/master.html

Yeah, it does... still have to interrupt the alternator wire. If you just pop open that circuit, theres a good chance of frying the alternator too...

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

You need to GROUND the alternator. If you just open it you can damage the alternator AND any other electronic components in the computer. An alternator can easily generate 100v with no load connected to it.

That is what takes out the diodes.

The right kill switch comes with a resister to quench the alternator when you flip the switch off.

A kill switch must do 2 things in order to be effective -

1. Interrupt the 12V circuit from the battery to the chassis/engine/starter etc.

2. Interrupt the 12V supply from the alternator to the ignition system

#1 is the easy part. #2 can be accomplished a couple of different ways -

If you have a switch with 2 sets of poles that open and close together, the easiest thing to do is use the 2nd set of poles to interrupt the 12V going to the ignition switch or coil. This will prevent alternator current from getting to the ignition coil etc.

If you've got a kill switch that has a second set of terminals that are closed when the main set is open, you can tie one terminal to the 12V (sense voltage) going into the voltage regulator on the alternator and the other side to ground (through a resistor). When these contacts close, the sense voltage goes to zero, causing the field inside the alternator to collapse which stops the alternator from making current. In most alternators with internal regulators, the sense voltage is bridged from the output (B+) terminal, which is why others are recommending grounding the output side of the alternator.

Unpimp Ze Lemon
1988 VW Scirocco
2010 North Dallas Hooptie 18th, Yee Haw, It's Lemons Texas 61st

TrackGeeks_Chris wrote:

You need to GROUND the alternator. If you just open it you can damage the alternator AND any other electronic components in the computer. An alternator can easily generate 100v with no load connected to it.

That is what takes out the diodes.

The right kill switch comes with a resister to quench the alternator when you flip the switch off.

Yep, and a 2 pole doesn't work for that.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

+1 to all of the above.  Additionally, if you interrupt the battery and alternator positive poles, there aren't any other sources of power (unless you've got your pacemaker or walkie-talkie hooked up to the car's electrical), but if you interrupt the ground, you can create all sorts of new grounds if you wreck the car well enough.

I don't know how long or large of a wire you are talking about but with a 1 wire alternator spinning fast grounding it will produce a lot of melted copper and might even let the smoke out.  Just open circuit it, the regulator is built in and it will see the voltage rise and kill the field.  If you want to get fancy, connect a resistive load from the alt output to ground ( like your headlights ) and use that to gently let down the voltage...

If you run a factory type alternator with external 12v supply to the regulator ( ford style but probably many others ) then disconnecting that will cause the field voltage to go away killing the output. 

You could also take the 2nd pole set and disconnect the PCM from the battery harness ( put it in series with the big main fuse ) then the alt only runs dumb loads when you hit the big red switch.

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

Thanks for all the help. My thinking was that +12V is only +12V with respect to Negative batt post and anything connected to that (chassis, engine block), so if that connection was interrupted, you'd have a floating 12V with no ground. I'll look at my other options.

So of course I had to prove it to myself, went out and pulled neg off a running car, and yes, it kept running. Shoulda done that first...

I think the alsternator would still be grounded to the engine through the bracket.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

I think the alternator would still be grounded to the engine through the bracket.

He means ground the positive output of the alt when the connection through the kill-switch breaks the connection to the battery. I'd use the biggest ceramic 100ohm resistor you could find or just find a switch with alternator blades. Alternator spikes are nasty things and I think the first time I did it I blew out my Harbor Freight water temp gauge. Not a good thing to have dead for an entire race sad

I actually used a relay to switch the alternator output to ground and I've never had issue operating the switch as the ignition/ECU/fuel power control.

Team Dai Hard Home Page

1989 Daihatsu Charade

The easiest thing is to do is get this:

http://www.ogracing.com/catalog/2-Car/3 … KILLSWITCH

Comes with the right switch and the resister. We have one on our lemon now and it works perfectly.

http://www.ogracing.com/images/products/593-BATTERY-6-POLE-KILLSWITCH.jpg

I think the reason the car kept running is that the alternator stays grounded to the engine when he pulled the battery cable.

BTW, is that a screw that will hold the switch handle in?  If not, how do you keep it from falling out?

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

The handle is captive when in the "ON" position. You can only remove it if its "OFF". We have a wire to hold it nearby if you decide to remove it from the switch.

thanks