1 (edited by m610 2010-05-18 09:01 PM)

Topic: We may jump in with a car and team.

We're going to look at a car and a parts car tomorrow. We still many details and issues to work out, such as an incompatible team member, but mostly the car and finances, plus where to stash it and work on it, and setting a date for our first race, and signing up and getting accepted, and so on. The car hasn't run in 20 years and as far as the owner knows does not run, but the engine can be turned using a wrench. Mechanical stuff like that. Otherwise, it is complete.

But for our theme, we want to build a somewhat nice looking car. I know, not really a LeMony concept, but it will be yellow, mostly, if that helps. You know how the Gulf Miata that runs on the west coast looks? Nice like that. A parody/tribute to a more famous car. Cheap, but nice. Oh, and with lots of stickers, and a big ass wing, and a splitter, and extra lights.

So my question is, since making it look nice might cost a little extra, does the cost of theme-ing the car count in the $500 restriction?

If so, then would showing up for the first race in a rusty car, followed by making it look nice for the second race, residual value, work? Like the Angry Hamster people did. Their car looks great with all the new paint.

Re: We may jump in with a car and team.

I spent about 30.00 for 10 cans of spray paint.  And I believe that's part of the budget.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Oil-based industrial alkyd enamel urethane (think fire hydrant paint) is cheap.  You can apply it with a brush.  Once it is applied it flows a bit to hide the brush strokes.  It sounds bad but it actually looks great.

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

OK, makes sense.

I've gotten lots of tips on how to roller a car an make it look great, so that's what we'll do.

How does favor-swapping for parts and services figure into the budget? I found a vinyl guy in Georgia (We almost did the Fireball Run together a few years back.) who has offered to make our graphics for free, but is also asking if I am that video guy, so I'll be doing him a return favor.

Similar question about bartering. I'm trying to get the price down on a part by offering to help him with some video editing, or maybe swapping Prelude parts. In this case it is a CF wing that has been sitting in his garage for a couple of years and is asking $60 for. I'm trying to get the cash price under $30.