Topic: So..... Back to step 1

Which of course, is find a car!

I got a call from my parents at around midnight, they had just gotten back to their place after a really long mothers day/birthday party for my mom (where I was storing the SC2 because my HOA hates me already for having too many vehicles) and the windows in my dad truck are busted out, his truck is ransacked, my brothers car is broken into, and the SC is plain gone... The car is/was insured but I had not gotten the title transferred yet (was actually planning to do that today) but now that is of no use to me... Thankfully my insurance company said thats cool with them too and they are going to work with me on this. Plus side, Im sure the car will be found, if it is, quick, as I have the radiator hoses in my truck to get replacements for them!

What a beautiful day in the neighborhood

Hell On Wheels "Totally Not a Rental Car" Chrysler 300
Retreat From Moscow "Traded a Bar Tab for a Wagon" Subaru Legacy
Monterey Car Weeeeak -Dishonorable Mention- "Cocoa Beach A.S.S. Team" Oldsmobile Wagon
Fail Inc Motorsports Intergalactic Headquarters

Re: So..... Back to step 1

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.  I hate thieves.  Free punch in the crotch for all thieves, right here.

Good luck in the hunt.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

This is the beginning of one of the most epic build documentation stories ever!

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

Hopefully they find the car and they mysteriously prepped part of it for you!

Pendejo - There is no such thing as a racing budget and if you can't afford to set it on fire and watch it burn while drinking a beer then don't race it.

That will go well in bs.  "You see someone stole the car and before I got it back the thieves put bilsteins and a turbo on it. They also rebuilt the trans and blueprinted the engine.  Luckily we got it back before they finished installing the brembos, but since they were halfway through I bought the rest of the components but that is ok since brakes are safety."

Seriously I hope they find the saturn though.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Why would you bother with a Saturn when we are blessed with Lotii, LeCars, BiTurbos, Hudsons, etc.....

Count this as a sign.

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

7 (edited by EriktheAwful 2010-05-10 12:21 PM)

It could happen...

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/27/teac … -upgrades/

Just as I suspected, car was found this afternoon about 3 miles from their house...

In a lake. The only thing that gave it away was the tail lights sticking out of the water

*waits patiently while surfing CL*

Monterey Car Weeeeak -Dishonorable Mention- "Cocoa Beach A.S.S. Team" Oldsmobile Wagon

Surfing craigslist? Why? You've just tripled your IOE!

Ouch!

Are you going to be getting the submarine..er car back?

Pendejo - There is no such thing as a racing budget and if you can't afford to set it on fire and watch it burn while drinking a beer then don't race it.

11 (edited by Riktor 2010-05-11 05:33 AM)

Shvd_Box wrote:

Just as I suspected, car was found this afternoon about 3 miles from their house...

In a lake. The only thing that gave it away was the tail lights sticking out of the water

*waits patiently while surfing CL*

USE IT WITH LAKE MUCK STILL INTACT!!!

Instant "Swamp Thing" Theme...

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Man that car will stink forever.  ugh.  I'd take the insurance money and run.  far away.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

http://i1-18sca.ipower.com/Lotus/Lotus_Esprit_007_Submarine_front_quarter.jpg

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

Jer wrote:

Man that car will stink forever.  ugh.  I'd take the insurance money and run.  far away.

PERFECT!!! It'll make everyone want to pass it even worse and then go off course when they push to hard.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Just got off the phone with esurance...

The car is 'totaled' but there was the option for me to buy it back from them thrown onto the table.

I'm waiting for them to let me know how much money is gonna need to change hands

I'd totally keep working with that car if you can get it running. cost may even be irrelevant at this point.

Put a few shots to the fender, then Go with a Rasputin theme (it's been shot, beaten, drowned, and it's still alive!)

and like the other guys are saying, swamp thing or james bond-esque submarine themes beg for a chance on this car!

So...

Purchased the car for $300

Got $675 from Esurance after it being totaled

Also got the car back

So does that mean my entire build budget (to get it running again) is $875?

Also, theme was decided upon by the GF, should be a good one.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/Superfa1/Saturn%20SC2/IMG_2271.jpg

Looks good after a nice pressure wash by the tow yard! minus the interior damage (that is getting stripped as soon as I get a chance, pushing it into the garage was enough)

once your costs reach $0 you cannot get "negative funds" added. if you paid $300, and got 675 from insurance and got to take it back home, I'd cost out the amount you paid to get it home (assuming you paid a tow company) and minus that from your new starting cost of zero. Example

ins more than offset purchase price due to circumstances. your budget is now $500. $40 to tow it home from the yard, you now have $460 to spend making it work again.

That would be the safer route, but not the safest. You should retain the police report and copies of the claim paperwork(if any) from the yard and paperwork from insurance. Key thing is DOCUMENTATION.

19 (edited by Shvd_Box 2010-05-16 10:45 PM)

OK, I was just making sure that I understood the rules. I did read about being able to sell parts off the car to drop total investment, but this works...

And yes, I am bringing the copies of police report/insurance paperwork/reciepts/a turducken/eye witnesses/videos/several photographs/local news paper articles that have nothing to do with this/and maybe a second turducken to BS inspections with me.

So far Im back at $0 then, since I brought it home on my own trailer with my own truck. I guess Ill just save the extra monies and use that for race day necessities (hookers for the judges of course)

20 (edited by Shvd_Box 2010-05-22 10:28 PM)

Did a little bit of decon today, trying to get the motor pulled apart this weekend...

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/Superfa1/Saturn%20SC2/IMG_2286.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/Superfa1/Saturn%20SC2/IMG_2289.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/Superfa1/Saturn%20SC2/IMG_2292.jpg

BTW. I love my pressure washer!

21 (edited by Shvd_Box 2010-05-23 05:55 PM)

Yep, motor is all kinds of blown...

cracked block
metal in oil/water mix
all the fun stuff

off to the junk yard tomorrow!

Side note::: Could I get someone to move this thread? I just feel that I should have put it in the Lemons Tech section