Re: why just race a lemon when you can enjoy it every day?

dculberson wrote:
Spinnetti wrote:

Manual swap is not bad using a supra trans and a kit from down under..... Not sure how you do the pedals though.. Been thinking about it for my Lemons LS if I can get the cost down enough. Another option is a shift kit (just buttons and wiring mostly) to manually control the shifter... make your own paddles and away you go...

Let me know if you do any more on that front.  The bellhousing adapter is the easy part; the pedals and shifter seem like a nightmare.  (What are the chances that the shifter will line up with the automatic shifter location?)  Especially since this is my daily driver, I'm not too keen on just hacking it up Lemons style and leaving the trans tunnel exposed.

Is there more info on the manual control of the auto available online?  I'm not too interested in it since to me it's not that much better than just throwing the auto shifter around, but I'd be interested in finding out how it's done.

-David

Yeah, I thought so too, but in racing, you want to control the shift points. In a modern car, the computer decides not the lever. So on the lex, the wiring intercepts the shift controller so you decide when to shift. Otherwise, you can put the lever wherever you want, but it will still shift when IT thinks it needs to. Another variant of the mod is that the lever controls the shift, and it won't shift unless you move the shifter. I wanted a variant where I could have it run pure auto or only manual shifted.... still haven't decided. Will try it full auto first and see if it works in competition. Didn't work bad on a track day, but a race is a different story....

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

I'm eyeing a lemony 82 Bronco to be my tow rig and beach buggie.

I hope to get it for an easy $600.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Apparently emo kids like Sabotage.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

29 (edited by Shvd_Box 2010-05-04 09:51 PM)

1990 4Runner SR5 4WD 5SPD purchased for $637 (after the title fees and tax)

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/Superfa1/4Runner/IMG_1779.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/Superfa1/4Runner/IMG_1777.jpg

Hell On Wheels "Totally Not a Rental Car" Chrysler 300
Retreat From Moscow "Traded a Bar Tab for a Wagon" Subaru Legacy
Monterey Car Weeeeak -Dishonorable Mention- "Cocoa Beach A.S.S. Team" Oldsmobile Wagon
Fail Inc Motorsports Intergalactic Headquarters

One of our team members drives our '84 Nissan 300zx Lemons car to work somewhat regularly.

We also drove it to and from the Carolina race this year (no issues) and last fall (waterpump failed) from Atlanta.

Our VW Fox was my daily driver up till 3 weeks before the race.  I would have kept it too but the new tires, new windshield, and new exhaust so it would pass NY state inspection would have cost far more than the $300 I paid for it, plus I was getting a new car that was just REALLY late in showing up.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners