Topic: Primer on cage

A noob question, I know, but directly related to prep.  Cage is getting finished for the Fiat 131 Abarf Special leading up to New England-- what's the conventional wisdom on hitting the cage with a coat of primer (keep it from rusting right away) as opposed to leaving it raw (ease of weld inspection during tech)?

Scuderia Regurgito  '75 Fiat 131, '93 e36
2010 Stafford: Winner, class ugly  2011 NJMP: Organizer's Choice and violently exploded gearbox
2011 Stafford: Most From the Least, 2012 NJMP: Shockingly issue free, 2012 Loudon: Rod thru block
2012 Hooptiefest: Multiple spun bearings, 2013 Monticello: Head gaskets, 2013 Loudon: More head gaskets, 2013 NJMP, 2013 Hooptiefest, 2014 NJMPx2 and Heroic Fix

Re: Primer on cage

Primer on ours.

BBQ Flat black on ours, still looks nice. Did it the same week that Evil Genius Racing got the car done so there was no surface rust to paint over.

Team Dai Hard Home Page

1989 Daihatsu Charade

Rustoleum gloss black.  With the heat that welding creates, you want to stop that rust ASAP.  I hit my cages as soon as the metal is cool enough to handle the paint.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

RobL wrote:

Rustoleum gloss black.  With the heat that welding creates, you want to stop that rust ASAP.  I hit my cages as soon as the metal is cool enough to handle the paint.

Guess I should bring some paint saturday?

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Rustoleum red here.  We just wiped off the shipping oil with degreaser and sprayed it.  The joints were the only thing primed.  The cage builder did that right away to prevent rust.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Alfaholic wrote:

A noob question, I know, but directly related to prep.  Cage is getting finished for the Fiat 131 Abarf Special leading up to New England-- what's the conventional wisdom on hitting the cage with a coat of primer (keep it from rusting right away) as opposed to leaving it raw (ease of weld inspection during tech)?

I hope this is your theme!

http://www.131abarth.com/Fiat031Abarthpics/Fiat_031_Abarth_mvkuva.jpg

JThw8 wrote:
RobL wrote:

Guess I should bring some paint saturday?

Someone usually gets sent out during the day to pick up things from the hardware store.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=159

Looks good, holds up to abuse pretty well.

Close on the theme... those triple wipers are sexy...

Scuderia Regurgito  '75 Fiat 131, '93 e36
2010 Stafford: Winner, class ugly  2011 NJMP: Organizer's Choice and violently exploded gearbox
2011 Stafford: Most From the Least, 2012 NJMP: Shockingly issue free, 2012 Loudon: Rod thru block
2012 Hooptiefest: Multiple spun bearings, 2013 Monticello: Head gaskets, 2013 Loudon: More head gaskets, 2013 NJMP, 2013 Hooptiefest, 2014 NJMPx2 and Heroic Fix

i brought rattle cans of bronze metallic to our cagebuilder before he got started. it's a thing of beauty and you can actually see the weld quality really well. it's a VERY good idea to do at least some basic rustproofing.