Topic: Cage Question, specifically, unibody plates

I'm seeing 1/8" steel plate as being standard.  I've got a bunch of .1125 laying around.  Would that be OK in 6 x 6 plates?  How about if I welded to the structural steel?  I'd probably put 3" wide , possibly boxed down the side, or angle.

Comments?

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Re: Cage Question, specifically, unibody plates

I'm not an expert, but if you look at NASA/SCCA, 0.080" is usually their minimum thickness for spreader plates, and 3" on a side minimum area. Big plates of 0.1125" should suffice, especially if you can tie it to multiple parts of the structure - for example, if your main hoop spreaders are 6x6 on the floor, and you also have a vertical plate on the rocker tied to it, that adds a lot of strength. It's difficult to describe, but we can definitely get pictures for you if needed.

Shallow Pockets Racing, aka the newbies in the BP-themed Golf
-Summit Point 2010, 29/86, 0 mechanical problems - "Are you sure it's a VW?"

3 (edited by fabtoys 2010-05-24 09:17 PM)

The thicker stuff is fine and it is a little harder to weld to the body .It takes practice. If you can tie into the scructure. I like to tie into the rocker area .

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

I'm trying to find minimum acceptable thickness.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

The SCCA requires 2"x2"x1/8" and NASA 3"x3"x1/8" for the spreader plates.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

1/8" is minimum

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'