Topic: Respect for the never-say-die Türbo Schnitzels!

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2010/05/schnitzeltriumph-800px.jpg

Jay decided that the Dixie Chickens deserved the Heroic Fix award for sacrificing the engine of the team captain's daily-driver Fiat 124 Spider (when's the last time you saw "daily driver" and "Fiat 124" in the same sentence?) to keep the race car running, but the Türbo Schnitzels deserve some recognition for the impressive 15:1 wrenching-to-driving ratio they achieved with the ghettocharged 351W-powered XR4Ti over the weekend.

First they blew up the differential... while driving at 2 MPH on the parade route in Camden after the BS Inspection. Then it turned out that they'd also hosed the transmission. After scouring the surrounding counties for parts (fortunately, they'd installed a Supra rear and Mustang T5), they managed to get the car onto the track for a few hours on Sunday. It was hella fast down the straights and sounded great... right up until the moment when it blew both head gaskets. With a couple of hours left to go, the Schnitzels took a shot at replacing the gaskets, but ran out of time.

Even though they missed out on their second Heroic Fix award, the Türbo Schnitzels get Duct Tape Clusters added to their Congressional Medal of Bondo for their heroism. You teams that give up at 1:00 PM Saturday after losing a brake caliper or water pump, please feel shame.

Re: Respect for the never-say-die Türbo Schnitzels!

Outstanding!!! This is what Lemons is about, besides racing of course.

Justice...with a smile.

I agree, these guys were awesome.  Thanks for giving us that slide hammer late on Saturday night!

The sad part is that if the race had been 30 minutes longer, they would have been back on the track.

Er, wait, no, the [i]actual[/i/] sad part is that the second T5 they picked up (i.e. the "new" transmission) was nearly as jacked as the first one. Luckily, 15 pounds of boost from the Navistar Turbocharger meant they could run the entire track in fifth gear. That's why you want 500 pound-feet of torque, children.

As I explained to them, we were contemplating giving the Schnitzes Judge's Choice because of how much fun it was to watch then rebuilt their transmission, but we'd seen it before.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

what's with these guys and transmissions?  i vote direct-drive next time.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Those guys were awesome!  I was talking to them downtown.

Me: How much boost?
Them: Dunno, 15, 20 psi
Me:  Hmmm, that's not gonna end well

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!