Topic: Holes in floor

I understand that there can be no holes in the firewall, but I seem to remember that there was a no holes in the floor rule.  I can't seem to find it now, did that get removed from the rules?  We have a few little bolt holes and missing grommets here and there that I plan to fix but I'll move them to the bottom of the list if its no longer a requirement.

30 entries since 2009
#39 & #53 Overengineer'd Racing - Wilton, NH
http://www.facebook.com/nhlemons

Re: Holes in floor

n0m4d wrote:

I understand that there can be no holes in the firewall, but I seem to remember that there was a no holes in the floor rule.  I can't seem to find it now, did that get removed from the rules?  We have a few little bolt holes and missing grommets here and there that I plan to fix but I'll move them to the bottom of the list if its no longer a requirement.

We ended up screwing cut up coors light cans to our floorboard in the tech line last year I doubt they removed the rule but we don't remember seeing it either.  Either way its easy enough to patch them, I would cover all holes just in case.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

I think we used exhaust tape or maybe even regular duct tape on the floor...the firewall we used steel plates

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Top-Fool- … 77?ref=sgm
#34 Save the Tatas Subaru Impreza
2010 Detroit Irony 32nd/Capital Offense 68th/Grand Bull 26th/Rod Blago "FIF"

Other teams I talked to thought the same thing.  We were surprised when we found a hold in the passenger floorboard that we had forgotten to fill.  It passed tech.  We figured that maybe they didn't point it out since they had just finished inspecting 80 other cars and knew we were already stressed from having to add two more bars to our [professionally built and installed] roll cage.  Moreover it's not a major safety issue (e.g. don't some teams remove their doors? isn't that even less safe than a small hole?).  I'll feel better filling it anyway; we have a rubber grommet that fits exactly.

5 (edited by Omnilith 2010-06-02 10:07 AM)

Ah... holes in the floor. That brings back fond memories of Altamont '07.

Our key fell out of our Celica's ignition sometime while running and managed to fall through one of the holes in the floor... so when the driver brought the car in and shut it off..... the column was stuck in the off and locked position, requiring a panicked de-lock and override job involving cardboard and duct tape.

From then on, all of our cars have been modded to run keyless ever since.

Sorry, completely and utterly unrelated and off-topic.

Lorin Mueller
Scuderia Asino formerly Team Haulin' Ass - 83 Plymouth Scamp
Team Soccer Moms - 93 Dodge Caravan

Hey, that may have been completely off-topic, but I laughed, thank you for sharing.

Mike Peters
Former rotary brat pioneer.
3.17.08 Jalopnik Hoon of the day.  #hasbeen
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

not off topic at all...provided a strong point to actually cover up all the holes.  Point taken, or put a tether on the key so it is always within 6 inches of the ignition.....just saying.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Top-Fool- … 77?ref=sgm
#34 Save the Tatas Subaru Impreza
2010 Detroit Irony 32nd/Capital Offense 68th/Grand Bull 26th/Rod Blago "FIF"

A tether would have been a fantastic idea as well.

Either way, this was the next year's ignition setup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQTXEwd0EQA

Lorin Mueller
Scuderia Asino formerly Team Haulin' Ass - 83 Plymouth Scamp
Team Soccer Moms - 93 Dodge Caravan

Thanks for the info.  I have 2 punch lists, one of things that will flunk us at tech and one of "other things we should do".  I guess its safe to put the holes in the floor on the should do list rather than the must to list.

30 entries since 2009
#39 & #53 Overengineer'd Racing - Wilton, NH
http://www.facebook.com/nhlemons

Omnilith wrote:

Ah... holes in the floor. That brings back fond memories of Altamont '07.

Our key fell out of our Celica's ignition sometime while running and managed to fall through one of the holes in the floor... so when the driver brought the car in and shut it off..... the column was stuck in the off and locked position, requiring a panicked de-lock and override job involving cardboard and duct tape.

From then on, all of our cars have been modded to run keyless ever since.

Sorry, completely and utterly unrelated and off-topic.

You got keys with your car? I must be doing this wrong.

Another great reason to use a start button is to override any interlocks....handy to be able to crank the engine while coasting down without accidentally locking the steering...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Our keys is where we keep our bottle opener!

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

Zachreligious wrote:

You got keys with your car? I must be doing this wrong.

Ours came with keys but one was permanently broken off in the ignition.  We bypassed it and used a screwdriver.  The look on the manager's face at Firestone when I handed him the "key" was priceless!