Topic: BMW ties Toyota for most wins, Mazda still #1

We've had a rash of E30 overall wins in the last year or so, which means BMW and Toyota are now tied at five Lemons wins apiece. Honda and Nissan have two apiece. Thanks to Eyesore Racing, Mazda sits with a comfortable seven Lemons victories.

General Motors still dominates the Index Of Effluency. USA! USA! USA!

Re: BMW ties Toyota for most wins, Mazda still #1

Sure, but uber teams like Eyesore distort the stats....how about using the top ten finishing positions instead of overall wins?

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

General Motors still dominates the Index Of Effluency.

More proof that GMs run bad longer than most cars run.

Yeah, when I get consistently whooped by another team, I like to call it "distorting the stats."

Oh, and for the record, my two current cars? A BMW and a Mazda.

Wait'll I get the '52 Rover running. Lemons podium, here we come.

Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:

Yeah, when I get consistently whooped by another team, I like to call it "distorting the stats."

Oh, and for the record, my two current cars? A BMW and a Mazda.

Wait'll I get the '52 Rover running. Lemons podium, here we come.

But Eyesore probably could get that Rover on the podium....what I mean is that to really separate the good makes from the good teams, you have to control for side issues like talented drivers and good mechanics...and yes, I have been whupped by Eyesore, and I'm in good company! Besides they're entertaining as hell...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Sorry Honda, we tried sad

1st loser at CMP

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

ecugrad wrote:

Sorry Honda, we tried sad

1st loser at CMP

Take solace in the fact that you weren't the only losers at CMP.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

I'm proud to say Porsche has ZERO

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

jimeditorial wrote:

Sure, but uber teams like Eyesore distort the stats....how about using the top ten finishing positions instead of overall wins?

no, manufacturers like Mazda distort the stats. wink

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

jimeditorial wrote:

That would mean doing a bunch of extra work. Any volunteers?

Anyway, Mazda would still come out on top.

... and British cars still at the bottom....

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice

Given the MX-5/Miata's predisposition to race duty, wouldn't it make more sense to make Miata a manufacturer designation (of sorts) so as to differentiate it against other Mazda models that are more on par with the rest of manufacturers crappy racecars? I'd rather see a BF/BG 323, Millenia S, 929, etc. than a Miata unilaterally win it for Mazda.

Nothing wrong with a Miata winning Lemons (Eyesore deserves everything they get with their great themes), but the top Spec racers seem to dominate Lemons pretty effectively.

Team Dai Hard Home Page

1989 Daihatsu Charade

djcommie wrote:

Given the MX-5/Miata's predisposition to race duty, wouldn't it make more sense to make Miata a manufacturer designation (of sorts) so as to differentiate it against other Mazda models that are more on par with the rest of manufacturers crappy racecars? I'd rather see a BF/BG 323, Millenia S, 929, etc. than a Miata unilaterally win it for Mazda.

Nothing wrong with a Miata winning Lemons (Eyesore deserves everything they get with their great themes), but the top Spec racers seem to dominate Lemons pretty effectively.

yes, but CMP seems to be E30 country Ya'll.    smile

or RX-7 country depending on how you look at it.  sad

of course there was that Saab.:)

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

If you look at the "modern" era of Lemons racing....not the lowly dark ages of 2008 and before.....it looks like this:

BMW E30     5 wins  (all different teams)
Mazda         4 wins  (3 eyesore in miata)
Ford-Nissan-Honda have 2 each
Toyota-Volvo-Saab have 1 (but isn't the volvo a ford?)

More detailed info pending

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Did a little crunching--included 2008, since that's the earliest season the site has car info for, the judges might have more detailed info than this noob tongue

Mazda: 6 wins--
4 in Miatas: New England 2008, Goin-for-Broken 2009, Gavel-Tap 2010, Sears Pointless 2010; the last three were by Eyesore Racing
2 in RX7s: South 2008, South Fall 2009

BMW: 5 wins, all in E30s: South Spring 2009-10, Texas 2009, Arse-Freeze-Palooza 2009, Cain't Git Bayou 2010; Texas 2009 and Bayou 2010 were from Race Hard Race Ugly, the only other team to date with more than one outright victory since 2008. Hooray parity!

Honda/Acura: 3 wins in 3 different cars: Integra at Altamont 2008, Civic at New England 2009, CRX at American Irony 2010

Toyota: also 3 wins in 3 different cars: Supra at Detroit-ish 2008, Corolla at Texas 2008, Celica at Laissez les Crapheaps Roulez 2009

Nissan: 2 wins, basically in the same model: a 200SX at Lamest Day 2009, and a Sentra at Goin-for-Broken 2010

Ford: 2 wins in 2 cars, both at Gator-Rama: Mustang in 2009, Taurus SHO in 2010

The only outright win for ANY GM marque since 2008: Geo, the Metro-Gnome at Arse-Freeze-Palooza 2008

Volvo's only win: a V8-powered 244 at Buttonwillow Histrionics 2009

Saab's only win: a 900 Turbo at Southern Discomfort 2010

Okay I took the data for 2010 to date....I looked at the top 5 overall places and assigned points to each place...5 for 1st and going down to 1 for 5th.  Here is the stats:

#1 make...................  BMW with 26 points (E30's were 21 points)
#2 make...................  MAZDA with 23 points
#3 make...................  NISSAN with 13 points (Z's scored points..WTF)
#4 make..tie-Ford & Honda with 10 points
#5 make                     Acura  5 points
#6 make                     Toyota 4 points

The other way to look at the "points" is average points per appearance...the higher the better...

#1  BMW E30 (alone)  3.50
#2  Ford                    3.33  (due the SHO kicking butt down south!!)
#3  Honda                 3.33  winning detroit helps
#4  Mazda                 3.28  mostly Eyesore
#5  Nissan                 3.25  SE-R's do well and Z's got 3-4 in Phoenix
#6  Acura                  2.5   Krider is always good
#7  BMW non-E30       1.67  kinda dispells the BMW myth

after crunching the numbers...what does it say.....  sure some cars are "easier" to place high with than others, but a well prepared and well driven car WILL do well with a bit of luck......  Really who would have thought a Saab or SHO would win.....not only did the SHO win it placed 2nd too...

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

icemang17 wrote:

Okay I took the data for 2010 to date....I looked at the top 5 overall places and assigned points to each place...5 for 1st and going down to 1 for 5th.  Here is the stats:

#1 make...................  BMW with 26 points (E30's were 21 points)
#2 make...................  MAZDA with 23 points
#3 make...................  NISSAN with 13 points (Z's scored points..WTF)
#4 make..tie-Ford & Honda with 10 points
#5 make                     Acura  5 points
#6 make                     Toyota 4 points

The other way to look at the "points" is average points per appearance...the higher the better...

#1  BMW E30 (alone)  3.50
#2  Ford                    3.33  (due the SHO kicking butt down south!!)
#3  Honda                 3.33  winning detroit helps
#4  Mazda                 3.28  mostly Eyesore
#5  Nissan                 3.25  SE-R's do well and Z's got 3-4 in Phoenix
#6  Acura                  2.5   Krider is always good
#7  BMW non-E30       1.67  kinda dispells the BMW myth

after crunching the numbers...what does it say.....  sure some cars are "easier" to place high with than others, but a well prepared and well driven car WILL do well with a bit of luck......  Really who would have thought a Saab or SHO would win.....not only did the SHO win it placed 2nd too...

please remember the "BMW Myth" is proportional to the resale value of used BMWs.  E28 535s are still holding their value enough to keep them above the $500 line.  plus 5 series BMWs from the Eighties are less prevalent than the E30.  running E21s are hard to find and certainly way too nice to LeMon-ize.  supply and demand allows the E30 to be cheap, simple enough.

the earliest E36s are the 1992 model year.  today they can be had for sub $1000 in ghastly condition.  2 more years, two more years. smile

cast iron block, non-vanos, OBDI ......... basically bulletproof.

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

aceface905 wrote:

Did a little crunching--included 2008, since that's the earliest season the site has car info for, the judges might have more detailed info than this noob tongue

Mazda: 6 wins--
4 in Miatas: New England 2008, Goin-for-Broken 2009, Gavel-Tap 2010, Sears Pointless 2010; the last three were by Eyesore Racing
2 in RX7s: South 2008, South Fall 2009

BMW: 5 wins, all in E30s: South Spring 2009-10, Texas 2009, Arse-Freeze-Palooza 2009, Cain't Git Bayou 2010; Texas 2009 and Bayou 2010 were from Race Hard Race Ugly, the only other team to date with more than one outright victory since 2008. Hooray parity!

Honda/Acura: 3 wins in 3 different cars: Integra at Altamont 2008, Civic at New England 2009, CRX at American Irony 2010

Toyota: also 3 wins in 3 different cars: Supra at Detroit-ish 2008, Corolla at Texas 2008, Celica at Laissez les Crapheaps Roulez 2009

Nissan: 2 wins, basically in the same model: a 200SX at Lamest Day 2009, and a Sentra at Goin-for-Broken 2010

Ford: 2 wins in 2 cars, both at Gator-Rama: Mustang in 2009, Taurus SHO in 2010

The only outright win for ANY GM marque since 2008: Geo, the Metro-Gnome at Arse-Freeze-Palooza 2008

Volvo's only win: a V8-powered 244 at Buttonwillow Histrionics 2009

Saab's only win: a 900 Turbo at Southern Discomfort 2010

i seem to remember a protege winning at some point.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Buzz Killington wrote:

i seem to remember a protege winning at some point.

Checked the page, it was Thunderhill '07, I started looking from '08.

That's "SAAB', not "Saab", thank you.....

A neon won Altamont in 07. the Lemon Lappers. so there's one for mopar, woo!

"Bernie's Revenege" Toyota Supra won Detroit-ish/Flatrock in 07 (FIRST Lemons RACE OUTSIDE OF CALI AND FIRST FULL 24!!!)

don't get your hopes up on 80's supras though, i think like 3 more were actually at that flatrock race and at least 1, if not 2 put rods through their blocks. I think this might actually be the only race that the Rubber Biscuit Caprice didn't blow a motor or catch fire smile

Serj wrote:

I think this might actually be the only race that the Rubber Biscuit Caprice didn't blow a motor or catch fire smile

Yes, but it did get the People's Curse.