Topic: Newbie going to CMP

I'm planning on going to the race next weekend at CMP as a spectator.   But I would love to get on the track.   I've read alot of the stuff on the forums.  The only thing that I'm missing is some people to meet to help me get into racing in the Lemons race in the fall.  Or maybe just help a team in the fall race.

Just to let you know all know, I know very little about working on working on cars.  Would that be a problem in trying to get into Lemons racing? 

I work on computers but I don't know if that will help with anything in Lemons racing.  I mean does any body have any on-board computers, track telemetry, times, or anything?  I could prob with any of that.

Mock Grass Racing                                                                     Slower Traffic, Keep Right
2017 - Introduction of the Kia Amanti; 2016 - Killed the Car at WRL
2015 - 4 Races, finished all; 2014 - Barber, Blew 2 Engines; CMP, Class C winner
2013 - CMP, Blew engine; CMP, Engine Overheated 2012 - CMP, FInished; CMP, Blew Engine

Re: Newbie going to CMP

Hey Mcloed,
Bring your lawn chair and plunk down in our camp site for a while. This is our first event so things might get a little frantic, but we're definately going to have a great time. The more the merrier.

Scott (Scooter)
Stupid But Tough Racing
79 Chevy Malibu
sbtracing.com

'ported, relieved, with bored-out arm rests, and oversize seat covers.

Mcloed wrote:

I'm planning on going to the race next weekend at CMP as a spectator.   But I would love to get on the track.   I've read alot of the stuff on the forums.  The only thing that I'm missing is some people to meet to help me get into racing in the Lemons race in the fall.  Or maybe just help a team in the fall race.

Just to let you know all know, I know very little about working on working on cars.  Would that be a problem in trying to get into Lemons racing? 

I work on computers but I don't know if that will help with anything in Lemons racing.  I mean does any body have any on-board computers, track telemetry, times, or anything?  I could prob with any of that.

Our team has extremely sophisticated on-board telemetry.  It provides real time data about how the car is handling.  Features include:

-if it's moving forward, we're braking hard
-moving left or right? Yeah, we're cornering.
-If it's upside down, we probably rolled the car
-if it's in a puddle, the car is most likely on fire and evacuation is needed

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1152/1463853380_860eb3a4e1.jpg

Haha, but in all seriousness, no, you don't need to know how to work on a car. No one on your team really NEEDS to know. It's just nice to have, because if you can get your car running again after it breaks down 20 minutes in, your team will have a lot more fun.

My suggestion is to start searching craigslist for cheap cars now. You're going to be hooked.  I'll be with Team Eau Rude, a silver/red Sentra.  Come by and say hi, we'll show you the ropes of Lemons building.

You also may want to read the threads about how much running one of these races will REALLY cost.  I have no idea of your budget, but I think most people agree for the first race you will likely need $4K at a minimum.  If you can't weld, or do any of your own work it will be even more.

With that said, is it worth it?  HELL YES!!!!!!!!!

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

As long as some of your team knows some of the car stuff, its a great way to learn (as long as you're willing to put in the time and energy and some of your team members are mechanically inclined).  It does become addictive and time can become precious.

Feel free to stop by and shoot the breeze with the Schumacher Taxi teams; we'll be in side by side in the CMP garage area running the #2 Craptation (aka 1984 Chevy Citation) and a 1990 Audi 80.  Glad to spread the "Lemons experience" or help out.

-- John Robertson / Schumacher Taxi Service

Know more about a Craptation, coROLLa and BMW than I ever wanted to!
Stafford 08, CMP Spring/Fall 09, Stafford 09, Nelson Ledges 09, CMP Winter 10, VIR Chump 10, IOE Winning Craptation CMP Spring 2010, and lots more

stupid_but_tough wrote:

Hey Mcloed,
Bring your lawn chair and plunk down in our camp site for a while. This is our first event so things might get a little frantic, but we're definately going to have a great time. The more the merrier.

Scott (Scooter)
Stupid But Tough Racing
79 Chevy Malibu
sbtracing.com

Thanks Scott, I'm sure that I'll stop by.

Mock Grass Racing                                                                     Slower Traffic, Keep Right
2015 - 4 Races, finished all; 2014 - Barber, Blew 2 Engines; CMP, Class C winner
2013 - CMP, Blew engine; CMP, Engine Overheated 2012 - CMP, FInished; CMP, Blew Engine

trippinbillies40,

That's the kind of high tech stuff that would be in these kind of cars.  The videos that I'm see of a couple of the events seem like they are so much fun.  I'm hoping that this weekend I can learn as much as possible about Lemons racing.  I'm sure I'm going to be coming by to see you this weekend.

PapaJohn55,

I was hoping to join up with at least one team that knows something.  Although i can do a few things like fill the gas tank, change the wiper blades, get an oil change in the car, and jump a dead battery. is that enough? 

I've loved racing for a long time so i bet its going to be real addictive to me.

I'll see if i can find you guys in the mad house of the Lemons race.  I can't wait to see all the carzy cars.

Walk around and make some new friends. You'll see that many of the teams are super friendly and more than welcome to chat with you. Be sure to come by our setup (Eagle Racing and TrackGeeks). I'm sure we will be near the StupidButTough guys. smile

Mcloed wrote:

PapaJohn55,

I was hoping to join up with at least one team that knows something.  Although i can do a few things like fill the gas tank, change the wiper blades, get an oil change in the car, and jump a dead battery. is that enough? 

I've loved racing for a long time so i bet its going to be real addictive to me.

I'll see if i can find you guys in the mad house of the Lemons race.  I can't wait to see all the carzy cars.

You'll find us - We are one of the teams who will look completely at ease in the chaos that is going on.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Sounds like a great time and great people to meet.  Can't wait.

Don't forget that you're looking for a team that you can work on the car with.  Location, location, location.  If it's a 3 hour drive to go work on the car you'll find yourself making excuses.

That said stop by and see us.  We're from Atlanta, but there are other teams out there that. like us, could use an extra driver (and wallet) to keep the car on the track.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

st_rage wrote:

Don't forget that you're looking for a team that you can work on the car with.  Location, location, location.  If it's a 3 hour drive to go work on the car you'll find yourself making excuses.

That said stop by and see us.  We're from Atlanta, but there are other teams out there that. like us, could use an extra driver (and wallet) to keep the car on the track.

I'm only about an hour away for the track. How long before the race should I show up?  I wish I could make the events on Friday but I have other things I have to do. I'll look for you at the track.

I'm only about an hour away for the track. How long before the race should I show up?  I wish I could make the events on Friday but I have other things I have to do. I'll look for you at the track.

Things start rolling at the track Saturday morning as soon as enough people stagger back to life.  If the race starts at 10, I would be there between 8 and 8:30 to socialize-get the lay of the land.

#508 Team SOB
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!

I'll be at my first race, spectating for now. What is the etiquette for poking around the paddocks?

Be Courteous, stay out of the way if people are working and you cannot help, smile, and do not get run over.....  If you ask a polite question, just about anyone that "gets" Lemons will be just as polite.  Oh yeah, food and drink are excellent introductory aids.

#508 Team SOB
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!

"You guys look like you can use a beer" is a great opener.  "I can weld that for you" is a very close second.  Being in a position to provide those items is a bonus.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

I was unable to make it to the race at CMP, but I watched a ton of in thanks to the TrackGeeks.  That was awesome that I could watch the race from my house.  I could even watch it on my iPhone, it was great. 

I wait till the Sept race.  I probably will be able to go then.

19 (edited by doctawife 2010-06-04 07:49 AM)

Wrenching isn't everything.  Fast counts too.  But if you're not fast, don't despair.  And don't worry too much about knowing how to wrench.  If you are willing to do whatever the team needs, you'll be a popular teammate.  When I got involved in Lemons, I knew how to change a tire.

That's it.

I wasn't fast, I didn't know sh!t about car repair, and I couldn't weld.

Two years later, I've gotten faster, I can do simple repairs, help with complex repairs and (sorta) weld.  How did I learn all of this?  I made myself as eager and available as possible, given my job.  Anytime anyone on the team was willing to teach, I was there.  I went to the local Leisure Learning class on welding.  I decided that looking stupid and clueless in front of my teammates (like when I admitted that I had learned how to replace a radiator but didn't remember how to perform an oil change) was less important than seat time. 

I also made sure the husband and I consistently brought beer to the wrenching nights, helped feed the crew (both through my mad skillz in the kitchen and judicious use of Church's chicken) and consistently paid up when $$$ was due.

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

What Doctawife said.  Pay attention and learn wherever you can.  Ask question if you're not in the heat of the moment, and try doing things yourself.  I just tore down the front of a Miata last night diagnosing a crank issue, and replaced a transmission myself in my Lotus last Fall.  Four years ago I could barely change my oil.   Be a big sponge, because the more you learn, the more valuable you are to the team.  Oh, and being a go-fer is very valuable too if you can't help in any other way.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)