Topic: Newbie saying hello. Checking for any teams near me.

Hey all, wanted to stop by and introduce myself.  Total car nut here.  I even work in the auto insurance claims business.  I've heard about Lemons racing and figured I'd check it out.  It sounds like something I would absolutely love to try.  My racing experience consists of about 6 or 7 HPDE/open track days and about 40 autox events.  I've been relatively inactive for the past several years, as my wife and I started a family (we started late…I'm almost 40 years old now…).  I've actually been looking to get back into HPDE this year, but read references to Lemons on the GRM site and figured I'd check this out.  This looks like a ton of fun.  And I suppose that if a team splits the costs, it's not all that bad..racing isn't a cheap hobby no matter what you do.  I've seen some local cars for sale that ran at local short tracks, which have figure 8 racing and other forms of "cheap" racing.  Some of those cars sell dirt cheap and would probably make good Lemons projects.  I found one with a cage, etc…advertised to be dirt track "race ready", with an asking price of $450…hmmmmm…..

Anyway, like others I've read about on the forum, my "downside" is lack of wrenching skills.  I can change my own oil, and I fully understand how car parts work, but I have little wrench in hand experience.  Not that I don't want to learn, I've always wanted to, just never have.

I would love to learn more, and hopefully get some seat time.  I've looked through the "Human Resources" section of the forum to see if there are teams looking for a driver for the New England area event. 

Does anyone know of any teams based in eastern Pennsylvania that I might be able to make contact with?

Three Pedal Mafia

Jack of all trades (???) Lemons staff

Re: Newbie saying hello. Checking for any teams near me.

I knew a guy whose screen name was Klayfish.  Steve...  Had a Cobra and an MKI MR2 before that in Eastern PA.  How have you been?  It's Rob Leone - I would have been driving a Blue MKIII MR2 back then. 

The Schumacher Taxi Service has more than enough cars and is usually looking for drivers.  We are not driving the New England race for a bunch of reasons - two guys are getting married, we don't like the track, there is no where to get good seafood up there, etc.  We have an established team that frequents most of the other races this side of the Mississippi.  Feel free to shoot me an email.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Our team Hq is about 20 minutes down the road from you in Pottstown.  We may be in need of a driver.  Shoot me an email

mattftoo@comcast.net

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

RobL wrote:

I knew a guy whose screen name was Klayfish.  Steve...  Had a Cobra and an MKI MR2 before that in Eastern PA.  How have you been?  It's Rob Leone - I would have been driving a Blue MKIII MR2 back then. 

The Schumacher Taxi Service has more than enough cars and is usually looking for drivers.  We are not driving the New England race for a bunch of reasons - two guys are getting married, we don't like the track, there is no where to get good seafood up there, etc.  We have an established team that frequents most of the other races this side of the Mississippi.  Feel free to shoot me an email.

Rob!!!!!  Dude!  What's up?!?!  You and Frank were two of my biggest mentors when I first started learning autox.  I heard about Frank...really sad.  Sure, I remember the MKIII, it was a really cool...and fast...car.  Glad to see you're still racing, I figured you would be.  Yeah, I'll definitely send you an e-mail tomorrow.  Trying to find any way to get myself seat time.  Autox is cool, but there's nothing near where I live, and I want to do more than autox.  Sorry to hear you're not going to New England.  I'd be hard pressed to make it to the events really far away.

Sir Crapper,
I'll send you an e-mail as well.  Would love to meet the team if you guys don't mind.

Three Pedal Mafia

Jack of all trades (???) Lemons staff

5 (edited by RobL 2010-06-08 05:48 PM)

Klayfish wrote:

I'd be hard pressed to make it to the events really far away.

What's the difference?  It's just another 5-6hours of driving to get to most of the events and everyone caravans out anyway.  I look forward to your email!  rob_leone@verizon.net if the email link off this forum doesn't work.

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

Klayfish wrote:

[Sorry to hear you're not going to New England.

I didn't say that.  We're going, we're just not driving.