Re: Hand Tools!

OK, new question, I thought I'd post here instead of creating a new one. What all do you guys use for Tool Storage? There's a Deal on a set of Homak roller/chests and I'm curious as to the quality.

I have an old Snap-On three drawer road type top box, but when I needed more storage I picked up a US General rolling cabinet from Harbor freight, fairly heavy gauge metal, slides seem to be substantial enough, and with a coupon was only about $300, more than enough room for most of my crap, and my boss (wife) did not beat me when she saw the prices of some other cabinets I was looking at.

For hobby use around the house I like it, not a Mac or such but... My 2 cts.

Stu3

stu3 wrote:

I have an old Snap-On three drawer road type top box, but when I needed more storage I picked up a US General rolling cabinet from Harbor freight, fairly heavy gauge metal, slides seem to be substantial enough, and with a coupon was only about $300, more than enough room for most of my crap, and my boss (wife) did not beat me when she saw the prices of some other cabinets I was looking at.

Stu3

US General is the factory brand for the factory that makes Craftsman boxes.

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave
Scuderia Ignorante // Modena / Dearborn / Aichi Prefecture / West Texas

29 (edited by gielamonster 2010-06-02 10:54 PM)

The Snap-On vs. Craftsman horse has been beaten to death, but why not put another bullet in it... the real deciding factor between the two is whether or not you will be getting paid to use them.

For power tools, a friend of mine has turned me on to a Hitachi outlet website with excellent prices. I just bought this kit:

http://www.reconditionedsales.com/

http://s3.amazonaws.com/Reconsales/265/c73990a7-25a0-4a58-b5c5-2c57d45ec699.jpg

For a whopping $144!

18V Li-Ion, 2 batts, cordless drill and impact gun, charger, case, and doofy flashlight.

I haven't used the kit much yet, but its by far the best price out there. The "grade C" stuff looks like it has about a weekend's worth of use on the outer plastics, but brandy spanking new internals. My buddy has been using his stuff for more than a year now, it's holding up great.

Plus (with a few exceptions) most of the stuff comes with a 5 year warranty.

Sure there are better brands/quality stuff out there, but this stuff is a really good value.

Just another crappy BMW and moto-powered MR2: http://www.facebook.com/BlackIronRacing
Gnome money, Gnome problems. (RIP) http://www.facebook.com/MetroGnomeRacing

I love tool boxes with sturdy wheels and roller slides, but it seems the price doubles as soon as you say "roller". My personal box is an old craftsman with cheapo slides. If you oil the slides every now and then they're just fine. My box has a wide set of drawers and a smaller set of drawers on the right side. I have no top box, but I have an end box hanging from each end. This gives me plenty of desktop to work on and plenty of storage. I think I paid about $250 for the whole setup 12 years ago, but I bought the end boxes used.

I have black-drawer, red side Craftsman boxes with the non-roller slides.  I started with a 10 drawer top box that was a 60% off scratch-n-dent model.  Later I added a discontinued roller unit with six drawers, a tray, a side shelf, and a flip-up door.  Later I added another top, bottom, and middle combination.

Gielamonster,
Thanks for posting that Hitachi recon site, looks like some good stuff there, I was about to buy another impact driver, but will check these out first.

Jim
Stu3

Serj wrote:

the HF chicago 4.5" "magnesium-body" angle grinder works VERY well though

I can second that.  I have the same thing, and I'm happy with it.  The casing is more heavy duty than our DeWalt, and it's held up to being used for everything. 

For the hand tools, I was given a large set of Stanley sockets and box/crescent wrenches in addition to my Craftsman.  They're similar in dimension and finish to the snap-on, but don't seem to have the same tolerance for fit as my Craftsman.  While they don't give that elusive 14mm round, they do leave their mark more than the others.  But, they haven't broken or bent after years of use. 

We also have a Hitachi drill, but it's pretty much relegated to house stuff like drywall and wood screws.  I wouldn't expect it to handle much metal.  Even my 19v Craftsman doesn't like more than a couple of hole saw uses on metal.  There just doesn't seem to be a better option than an older drill which uses that ancient power cord when it comes to the metal work.

Plain Jane '86 BMW 535i - Current
RIP People's Elbowed Protege - 2010

OlCreFoo wrote:

There just doesn't seem to be a better option than an older drill which uses that ancient power cord when it comes to the metal work.

God yes. I have this ancient drill of unknown make (the labeling has literally fallen off) with an ungrounded power cord (never was grounded). Torquey enough to bust your wrist if you're not paying attention.

Even ancient steel drill bits don't mind metal nearly as much as new 'titanium' bits do.

I really can't imagine myself having much practical use for cordless tools to make the expense worth it. Either corded electric or pneumatic FTW (speaking of which, does anyone have any experience with a pneumatic hand drill?). If you can't safely drag an extension cord or air hose with you, you really shouldn't be doing what you're doing.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

EyeMWing wrote:
OlCreFoo wrote:

There just doesn't seem to be a better option than an older drill which uses that ancient power cord when it comes to the metal work.

God yes. I have this ancient drill of unknown make (the labeling has literally fallen off) with an ungrounded power cord (never was grounded). Torquey enough to bust your wrist if you're not paying attention.

Even ancient steel drill bits don't mind metal nearly as much as new 'titanium' bits do.

I really can't imagine myself having much practical use for cordless tools to make the expense worth it. Either corded electric or pneumatic FTW (speaking of which, does anyone have any experience with a pneumatic hand drill?). If you can't safely drag an extension cord or air hose with you, you really shouldn't be doing what you're doing.

the problem in that situation isn't so much as safety though as convenience. Most of the jobs I have to do, It would just be an annoying pain in the rump to drag out yer cord, find an open outlet, pull the cord up a ladder, etc just to make maybe 3-5holes, then pack it all back up again. throw the same situation into being in a paddock at some of these tracks where there's no power on site, and you have to drag out the generator too. that $80-$150 cordless power drill starts becoming worth it's weight in gold. That all being said, I got a nice, meaty DeWalt corded drill for making short work of holes in counter tops. smile

Welders count as a hand tool, right? I have a guy locally trying to sell me a Used Millermatic 35 for $500. the pics he's shown me make it look fairly dirty, but it doesn't look abused. Anyone got info on this particular model? That's pretty cheap for a robust full-size MIG unit and I'm thinking on jumping at it.

I've had excellent luck with my Craftsman Mechanic's set (335 piece?) that came in an injection-molded plastic box.  Best part about it?  I can look into the drawers and instantly tell if I'm missing a tool/socket/whatever, and I can also easily find them.

Bummer?  When you're out in the desert (sand) and you knock your 1/4" drive drawer over.  Needed a large magnet to find all of the sub 5/16"/8mm sockets.  Grrr.

Also, my "Earthquake" impact wrench from HF is the bomb!  700lb-ft of bolt-snapping torque FTW!  I've also got a HF 220v welder that fuses metal together as well as my buddy's Hobart.

HF sawzall is CRAP.

IgnoranteWest wrote:
stu3 wrote:

Stu3

US General is the factory brand for the factory that makes Craftsman boxes.

I actually went around store to store looking at Tool Storage Cabinets today. Napa has a 3-Piece Homak Ball Bearing chest setup for a very Reasonable $349.99. It would probably suit me pretty well.

A local place here has Kennedy Tool boxes. I was BSing with the woman working at napa (i overheard her mention she raced stuff too) and she was swearing the Kennedy stuff is absolute top of the line. I didn't really share the sentiment so either the place I went had the cheaper models or they REALLY went down hill.

I've looked at the craftsman boxes a few times, pretty decent.

I dunno if this is funny or Ironic, but the local HF had a bunch of their "US General" toolbox line as well as "storemate" (sp?) and I think to be honest out of everything i looked at today the US General matte-red powdercoated chest set wound up being my favorite. the drawers were all ball-bearing, slid smoothly, the metal was all of sufficient gauge and to not flex on any of the drawers, doors, or lid, and the casters were quite meaty. They're also on sale until June 24th, so maybe...

I think I'll check out one more place that carries some different brands before i jump to conclusions, because I almost shudder to think my favorite toolbox is a chinese one.

I've got the HF red tool cabinet and I like it. The drawers slide easily and there's tons of room. The price was good on sale. I haven't been disappointed.

Team Seppuku
1979 Toyota Celica GT Liftback

I threw down last Christmas for a 400-piece Craftsman set. That, combined with the two toolboxes of assorted Pittsburgh (= Harbor Freight,) Husky (HD,) Kobalt (Lowe's,) Duralast (Vatozone,) Ampro (Discount Auto) and other assorted Craftsman and Snap-on stuff I already had puts me in decent shape... but tools are an absolute addiction and I'll be buying another big set soon, because I was totally spoiled growing up by my dad's huge toolboxes that had 5 or 6 of everything we ever needed for all the automotive exploits we got into.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

does anyone have any experience with a pneumatic hand drill?

Yeah, it works about the same as an electric drill, only a lot noisier.