Topic: Thinking of swapping a gmc 4.3 liter v6

My red mercedes 280 engine is down to 5 cylinders.  I spent the long journey back to CA trying to think of which direction to go with it.  It's an expensive rebuild because mercedes parts are not cheap.  And even when I'm done it is still only 2.8 liters and 165hp.  Jay gave me a $10 residual value.

I have a 1989 s-15 Jimmy sitting around that hasn't run in awhile.  It has a gmc 4.3 liter v6.  I don't really know what it's defect is.  But, there appear to be a number of ways to get hp out of those engines 

The problem is that I took a look at the Dauphine in Dallas and sparks started going off in my head.  I've been having trouble extinguishing them ever since.  I've got the crazy idea that i'd like to mid-mount the v6 in the MBZ like in the Dauphine.  I'll put a fuel cell in the front engine bay.  I'm thinking mid-mounting will actually be easier than a front mount engine swap.  It won't screw up the suspension or steering.  It'll be alot of work but that's half the fun right? 

The dauphine has a full tube frame.  I think i'd rather preserve as much of the uni-body as i can.  I'll just have to find a way to tie a rear subframe/engine cradle in safely and securely.

I have another car to use for the remaining races this year anyway, so i'll have time.

Please tell me all the reasons why I will regret this.

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

Re: Thinking of swapping a gmc 4.3 liter v6

What could possibly go wrong?

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

3 (edited by IgnoranteWest 2010-06-14 05:11 PM)

I've put over 100k miles each on a pair of 4.3L V6s in 2 trucks (a 93- 163k still strong when I traded it and, an 05 w 110k).  Only major problem I've ever had was running one hard (100mph for long stretches, occasionally hit rev limiter) and the plastic distributor gear disintegrated (This was the 05 @ around 90+k miles).  Relatively inexpensive fix, might be a good idea to keep a spare as they might not be designed to run hard for extended periods of time.

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave
Scuderia Ignorante // Modena / Dearborn / Aichi Prefecture / West Texas

IgnoranteWest wrote:

Only major problem I've ever had was running one hard (100mph for long stretches, occasionally hit rev limiter)

What happened to it after you ran it hard?

5 (edited by IgnoranteWest 2010-06-14 08:15 PM)

squidbreath wrote:
IgnoranteWest wrote:

Only major problem I've ever had was running one hard (100mph for long stretches, occasionally hit rev limiter)

plastic distributor gear disintegrated. This was on the 05, not sure if your 89 distributor gear is also plastic.

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave

IgnoranteWest wrote:
squidbreath wrote:
IgnoranteWest wrote:

plastic distributor gear disintegrated. This was on the 05, not sure if your 89 distributor gear is also plastic.

Seems solvable.  It's not like an internal balance problem where vibrations ruin things at high revs or something inherent like that.

squidbreath wrote:
IgnoranteWest wrote:
squidbreath wrote:

Seems solvable.  It's not like an internal balance problem where vibrations ruin things at high revs or something inherent like that.

egggggsactly.

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave

Okay then.  Seems like we've covered everything that can possibly go wrong.  I'll start cutting this morning.  Ha.

They run pretty damn well when they're hot. yikes

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

you should stop middling about witht that merc  and finish the 302 powered one.

re 302.  Yes.  You may recall that Seth is doing most of the fabrication work.  He has had some real work to do lately and the timeline keeps being pushed back.  I keep saying it'll be ready for the next one.  I'm currently hoping it'll be ready for Denver but I don't know.

I was doing a bit of research on doing  engine swaps on these old Mercedes, and front sump pans were what the hot ticket was, to clear the steering and crossmember. So maybe a 3.8 or 5.0, 5.8, 460...

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

500 Caddy

DO IT!!!

The 4.3 is one of my favorite motors. A 350 minus cylinders 5 and 6. Plus it has the 350 bell housing pattern so take your pick of transmissions.

One other thing  that usually fails on the newer 4.3's is the Intake manifold gasket. But that only applies to engines that were filled with DEX-COOL (DEX-KILL) at the factory.
Fel-Pro has a "Problem solving Kit" that is a metal stamped thick rubber gasket that is 10x better than the crappy factory solution.

Another is unless you plan on going with a carburetor, the fuel injection setup on these motors with out throttle body injection is a bit funky and has to have a high pressure (60psi) fuel pump to operate the spider injectors. The TBI ones have the same TB as the 350's out of the trucks.

If you need advice on building it the S-10forums.com has a lot of good advice to offer.

one last thing... THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITH OUT PICS! ;-)

"I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work" - Thomas Edison