Topic: Gear suggestions needed here

We finally have a car sorted out to a point that we are confident that it will run long enough to make it thru the BS inspections and possibly end up on the track for a few laps but I don't know anything about purchasing the various equipment to keep the driver in front of the wheel and whatnot. 

1.  Is a specific seat type that works good for endurance racing and won't be too expensive?
2.  Is there a cheap way to make the seat adjustable while being able to pass Tech?
3.  Does a wide racing rear view mirror help or should I just keep the mirrors in the car clean and usable?
4.  Should we purchase a quick release for our steering wheel (it's an E30) or is the factory one good enough?
5.  Why am I numbering questions like this is a test or something?

Any help would be appreciated.

Team Merikuh
Omaha '10 wussed out, lost too many drivers sad
"Simplify, then add Awesome"

Re: Gear suggestions needed here

1. I like a real racing seat (which is STRONGLY encouraged by the scrutineers).  They are expensive, unless you find one from a tuner kid on CL.

2. bolt it to strong seat sliders.  I like Volvo or toyota, there are prolly others.  We had a set of the official corbeau sliders that came with the seat, they were flimsy crap.

3. Some people race like they street drive, oblivious to the mirror.  I personally felt much more confident when we got the wink mirror installed, along w/ functional door mirrors.

4. The fax wheel might be good enough, but the added safety & comfort of a removable wheel is well worth it.  A wilwood QR hub and a Grant wheel will cost less than $75.

5. {shrug}

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

FJ40Jim wrote:

1. I like a real racing seat (which is STRONGLY encouraged by the scrutineers).  They are expensive, unless you find one from a tuner kid on CL.

Are there any brands I should be looking for?  I have seen a lot of posts about Kirkey seats and the few I glanced at were not crazy expensive.

Team Merikuh

3: I would recommend a wide mirror. Once you are strapped in, and have your helmit on, it becomes neigh impossible to check blind spots.

4: purchase a wheel that does not have an E30 connected to it.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

1. We run a 16" Kirkey Pro Drag mounted on modified stock sliders. 

2. I made an adjustable back brace as well.  I started with a  Ford Truck slider.

3. We added a Longacre Long Arm curved Mirror and wink mirrors for the last race.  Our stock center mirror was to high up to have a good view out the rear.  I made some wink mirros from ones fromt he parts store but they kept falling down.  I added about $120 in mirrors for Eagles Canyon and they helped.

4. Quick release wheels are common and useful.

We also went with different door mirrors a while back.  At some point I will make the power part of the door mirrors work.

Good mirrors make the car much easier to drive.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

We use a Kirkey Road Race Intermediate seat on OMP sliders and are very happy with the results. Get the seat wide enough for your biggest driver, then any smaller drivers who have problems with the seat being too wide can use a pillow or cardboard to shim themselves into the seat.

If you make the seat adjustable, make sure you have an adjustable back brace. We use the one from IOPort Racing Supplies, but you could make one almost just like it pretty easily from some scrap stock and tubing.

I've driven Lemons both in cars with good rearward vision and with crappy rearward vision. Unless you and your car are so blindingly fast and skillful that you will never be under threat of being passed, then you can get by with poor rearward vision. Otherwise, don't skimp on this part or it is likely to cost you several black flags when you accidentally cut somebody off.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mirrors, definitely mirrors! The scene around you is constantly changing and the driver has to aware of all of it.

x2 on the corbeau slider being crap!! I have the double locking one and it is sooooo flimsy.

Eric Subliminal racing #711 e30
11 detroit dnf, 11 autobahn 4th, 12 detroit 2nd, 12 autobahn 1st
Rip #71 crx killed at autobahn 2010. 10 smt pt, 10 bull gp,10 rod b. smashed

We run the Kirkey Intermediate RR seat & Pad. I think it's a great seat and very comfortable once strapped in. I've seen/heard complaints to the contrary, but to be completely honest I cannot share where they are coming from, seeing as we've driven the car to 2 races and back again. best racing comfort is you want HEAVY bolstering, and decent padding on the bottom. Our other car has a seat from a Mazda MX-6 in it and the slider is -very- solid and easy to use. the slider on the kirkey...well, it's certainly solid.

I don't necessarily think you need the best mirror in the world, just make sure they're usable and keep your ears OPEN. there are so many times on the track where I've not been able to see someone just on my corner in a blindspot that our stock-quiet exhaust and careful ears has prevented a smash-up where mirrors alone could not. there are dozens of teams with louder exhausts out there that I can hear coming.

I definitely recommend a removable steeringwheel done right. It's constantly on my to-do list that gets put on the back burner then doesn't get done, but would help on ingress/egress greatly.

Serj wrote:

We run the Kirkey Intermediate RR seat & Pad. I think it's a great seat and very comfortable once strapped in. I've seen/heard complaints to the contrary, but to be completely honest I cannot share where they are coming from, seeing as we've driven the car to 2 races and back again. best racing comfort is you want HEAVY bolstering, and decent padding on the bottom. Our other car has a seat from a Mazda MX-6 in it and the slider is -very- solid and easy to use. the slider on the kirkey...well, it's certainly solid.

I don't necessarily think you need the best mirror in the world, just make sure they're usable and keep your ears OPEN. there are so many times on the track where I've not been able to see someone just on my corner in a blindspot that our stock-quiet exhaust and careful ears has prevented a smash-up where mirrors alone could not. there are dozens of teams with louder exhausts out there that I can hear coming.

I definitely recommend a removable steeringwheel done right. It's constantly on my to-do list that gets put on the back burner then doesn't get done, but would help on ingress/egress greatly.

+1 on the seat, with modified stock sliders (lowered 1-1/2"). i pad up the seat as tom is way taller and wider than i am. the wheel is on a cheapo hex type mount. the mirror is from gulfcoastgolfcars.com . 34" wide. now i need to set it up so we can see behind the car, and not just to the right...........

1) We put a Kirkey Economy Layback in the Jag. It's a little more difficult to get in and out of than Mulry's seat, but it's a cheap, safe seat. I could probably also bend out the upper bolsters to make it a little easier, but I haven't really looked into it yet.

2) I had a spare set of RX-7 sliders that I modified and installed the Kirkey on. My co-drivers are complaining the seating position is going to be too low. I told them I'd get them a phone book.

3) I like being able to see what's behind me. At Dallas I had quite a few cars pass me that I never saw or heard coming. If we have any trouble seeing in the Jag, our upgrade is going to be a set of friggin' huge truck mirrors bolted to the doors.

4) There were a few times at Dallas when I got out of Mulry's car without removing the steering wheel. I'm skinny and it didn't affect me. If you're a bigger guy, you might want one.

5) Probably because you want orderly answers to your questions.

1. We're using a 17" panoramic mirror.  We have a spare we'll decide at the track to use as a spare or as a second mirror.
3. Our wheel is firmly attached to the car.  We'll deal with it.
2. Our car came with a seat, so we're using it.  Added a rear brace.
4. Our car came with a seat, so we're using it.  Added a rear brace.

5 .... ohhhh .... do I still pass ?

13 (edited by YesIFit 2010-06-14 06:42 AM)

I know you're looking for stuff on the cheap, but VAC makes some great bolt-in stuff for BMWs including seat adapters and sliders ... http://store.vacmotorsports.com/seat-mo … s-c60.aspx

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

After ignoring all of them we will be ordering a cage from rollcagecomponents.com and having it assembled locally, buying a modestly priced Kirkey seat, installing the wide mirror and door mirrors, and based on comments all over the forums I have convinced the team that a HANS collar will be coming along for the ride.

I can't wait for August.

Team Merikuh

Check www.craiglook.com for "race seat". or "seat", or "Kirkey", "sparco", "momo". There are usually a few seats available for sale. Just have to find the right size. there were a pair of really used sparco's in LA for $400 a month ago.

You can use the stock adjusters in your car, and figure out how to mount the seat on top of that. Most stock adjusters are one sided locking only, which is not so good.  Hit the JY and look at some other cars to see if there are any which lock on both sides. Some other post mentioned Volvo sliders.

Adding a seat back to Harness bar support is a good idea, but difficult to implement.

I just thought up a pretty easy one the other day. Get a 1" metal tube long enough to go from your seat to the harness bar. Attach it to the back of the seat with a pivot (think u shaped bolted horizontally). Get another piece of tubing that slides over the 1", doesn't have to be a perfect fit, sloppy loose is OK. Attach that tot he harness bar. Put the seat all the way back, Drill one hole through both tubes (match drill). Install bolt. repeat for every seat position moving forward (the repeats will only be drilling the 1" tube).

Numbering your items is just a way to get people to focus and answer specific questions that might otherwise (man its a nice day outside) buried in a paragraph, or mixed up in a bunch of confusing thoughts.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

mackwagon wrote:

I just thought up a pretty easy one the other day. Get a 1" metal tube long enough to go from your seat to the harness bar. Attach it to the back of the seat with a pivot (think u shaped bolted horizontally). Get another piece of tubing that slides over the 1", doesn't have to be a perfect fit, sloppy loose is OK. Attach that tot he harness bar. Put the seat all the way back, Drill one hole through both tubes (match drill). Install bolt. repeat for every seat position moving forward (the repeats will only be drilling the 1" tube).

You pretty much just described the seat brace that IO Port sells without even knowing it smile Except they use c-channel instead of the second piece of tube that attaches to the harness bar to make it easier to move the sliding tube (less friction).

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.