Topic: MisfitToys recap and Thank You's

I don't even know where to start this.  This month has been a whirlwind of highs and lows so it's all very hard to process.  By way of background we were thrashing in the first week of June to get on BABE when I lost my grandfather.  We pressed on to get the car on the road late sunday only to have fueling problems and tow it home.  Back on the road Monday only to blow the oil pump 60 miles from home.  Sent the rest of the team on, put a new motor in by Wednesday and drove 17 hours to meet them in Alabama.  The guys were great, I collapsed and they carried the trip the rest of the way.  Returned home with 3 days to turn the car around and another death in the family.  Everyone jumped in to ease my load and get things ready.

Friday was a series of small issues and tech problems that kept us from any test and tune but everyone did their part along with help from many other teams to ensure we got through tech.  At the same time my guys kept the BABE rally spirit of "no man left behind" alive and worked on other peoples cars to get them through as well.  They have done me proud. 

No testing time meant saturday was full of ins and outs as we sorted the car for the first time but everyone kept their chins up and pressed on.  Suspension changes lead to clearance issues in the rear and a cooling hose chaffed a tire and leaked.  Quick hose swap and back at it only to have the hose blow off a few hours later from a fitting that wasnt secure.  This dumped all the fluid on the track and the driver, unaware, did 2 laps without coolant, smoking the motor.  We brought her in and patched her up, but for the last 2 hours the temps spiked every time you hit the gas so we knew a HG was blown.

Sourced one correct HG and a set for a 2.5 subie.  No complaints from the team, just dig in, tear it apart and make it work.  Modified the 2.5 gaskets to work by drilling new cooling passages and put her on the track sunday where she ran without issue all day.

There is no way I can remember or recognize everyone so if I have left you off the list I apologize, my brain is shot.

The Misfits, our little band of merry men and women keeps growning and Im proud to call each of you teammate and friend.
Chris A - We started this together and some days Im amazed a what its become, we don't always see eye to eye but we never argue and we know when to put aside differences and get the job done.  I'm forever honored to call you friend.
Jim W - With us since the beginning and always a cooler head, voice of reason and great friend.
Jeff W - Jack of all trades, my "mini me" and golden tounged devil to speak when we need a voice.  You are insane enough to feed my insanity and that makes us dangerous but friends smile
Rafael - Part of the original Mifits crew and like everything we do you may not always be able to "officially" join us but somehow you are always there and supportive as hell. 
Chrissy - Thanks for taking care of us and giving us that ever needed voice of feminine reason, thank you for being a friend and supporter and well, just thanks, you know why.  You drive next year.
"Pops" Wakeman - You provided us a place to sleep, food to eat but most importantly you brought wisdom, experience and the cool headedness that comes with those and kept our crew in line.
"Mental" Ward -  New to the Misfits, but Misfit for life, we had a good feeling about you and we were right, you're one of us.  Thank you for coaching the new drivers, inspiring the experienced and pushing our car the way it needed to be pushed. 
Dave - Ever since you polluted us with grain alcohol on BABE we knew you were one of us as well.  Sorry about Saturday but glad we got you in the car and had some fun!
Louis - again more BABE family love.  Cant wait to have you travel with us again and join us in the pits anytime, sorry about the sunburn.
Jesse -  You got yourself on hook for more gadgets in the future...sucker!  Much love and thanks for the help, you really jumped in and got dirty despite more pressing obligations, thank you.
Eric - Our lifeline.  I am consistently humbled as a mechanic when I work next to you.  It was very easy to maintain cool in the face of adversity knowing you'd be there to wrench for us and get us through. 

To all our friends and supporters from BABE, Volksrods, GRM and other forums who made the trip to come see us, help us, and wish us well we do this for you and with you.  All of this insanity is fueled by like minded crazies and without all of you driving us on I'd probably just sit at home and dream about these adventures.

To all the teams, spectators and competitors you kick ass.  So many folks stopped by to offer help, tools, parts, and just general well wishes I cant list them all but you drove us all and we thank you for it.  I would be remiss without a specific shout out to the guys from Cometic gasket who gave us a set of 2.5 subie headgaskets to use on our motor.  That action would normally be more than enough to warrant a special shout but I found out after we fixed our car that it was their LAST set of gaskets and their car had blown head gaskets too.  Truly and outstanding gesture and one we will not soon forget.

To the organizers and staff of Lemons, none better, great event, great people.  While we are honored and humbled by the IOE recognition the most rewarding thing was recognition by all of you that "we gave the car to the right guys"  We really wanted to do you proud so I do thank you for the recognition and the opportunity to do this.  You pushed our insanity limits and it in turn made us a better team.

On a final note, we will be back, and we'll try to keep up the weird but I'm officially retiring and moving to head mechanic and builder.  I haven't done any competitive autosports in many years but after must cajoling from my team I suited up and got in the car, "back in the day" open face helmets were ok.  I've always avoided closed face due to claustrophobia but I figured I could get over it.  My apologies to anyone I almost ran over in the paddock as I tried to get back to our parking space to get the hell out of that helmet.  Just as well Im a lousy driver, I'll keep buildin em and my kids will keep thrashing them.

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE FOR A TRULY GREAT EXPERIENCE!

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Re: MisfitToys recap and Thank You's

Great job guys!   Awesome, very well deserved win.  Imagine the stories you're going to be able to tell your grandkids!

Good luck with the Grass Roots Challenge!

-- John Robertson / Schumacher Taxi Service

Know more about a Craptation, coROLLa and BMW than I ever wanted to!
Stafford 08, CMP Spring/Fall 09, Stafford 09, Nelson Ledges 09, CMP Winter 10, VIR Chump 10, IOE Winning Craptation CMP Spring 2010, and lots more

Unfortunately at that point our car had bigger issues than the head gaskets.  After the free dry douching of the car not on fire by the corner workers and the extreme heat the engine was pretty much dead.  Glad to see you guys won the IOE the amount of work put into that car was amazing.  One tip...only buy subaru plug wires.  The ones you get from Auto zone and such are complete garbage.  We think most of our issues started due to loosing plug wires.

Also much appreciation for the time documenting the build process.

Congrats again and hope to see the wartburg and team at more races.

Pendejo - There is no such thing as a racing budget and if you can't afford to set it on fire and watch it burn while drinking a beer then don't race it.

rpone605 wrote:

Unfortunately at that point our car had bigger issues than the head gaskets.  After the free dry douching of the car not on fire by the corner workers and the extreme heat the engine was pretty much dead.  Glad to see you guys won the IOE the amount of work put into that car was amazing.  One tip...only buy subaru plug wires.  The ones you get from Auto zone and such are complete garbage.  We think most of our issues started due to loosing plug wires.

Also much appreciation for the time documenting the build process.

Congrats again and hope to see the wartburg and team at more races.

Still I feel bad we couldn't have given you a spare motor.  The other 93 had a bum fuel pump and due to the bodge repair we did on the woodruf key failure the timing belt gear couldn't be removed to replace the pump.  The other motor has those stupid single exhaust port heads which were doing none of us any good.  You guys saved our bacon and I appreciate it.  Eric, our head mechanic on race day, was truly impressed with the Cometic gaskets as was I.  Those are some top quality pieces and we'll be getting a set to put the motor right again for future use for sure.

OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."

Well talk to Kevyn (porkchops22) and he'll get you setup with those gaskets.

In all honesty we could have probably frankensteined a motor together (between ours and your parts)to run some on Sunday but we had lost way too much time on Saturday to be any competition.  We really should have accounted for the heat and found another engine anyways (hindsight is always a bitch).

It actually ended up working out in the end for us to leave early on Sunday.  Our 4th driver was getting some serious flack from his family about almost missing fathers day.

We will be at gingerman in October stronger and even more prepared than before.

It was great meeting you and all of your crew.  You got a great group of guys around you.  We were glad to help in anyway.

Pendejo - There is no such thing as a racing budget and if you can't afford to set it on fire and watch it burn while drinking a beer then don't race it.

Much appreciated and we are always happy to lend a hand if we can.  I've got a new free motor on the way to get her back to right but anything you guys need let me know, the motor is coming from a totaled legacy courtesy of another team so if I can strip out anything else for you let me know.

I kept thinking on sunday how we could have put something together for you, heads from the one with the bad pump on the 98 with the wrong heads or something, need to bring alot more headgaskets in the future smile

We even brought along the old subie radiator in case someone else needed it...Im a parts hoarder

I think we will be doing the same thing now (hoarding that is).

I have my junkyard contacts on the look out for parts now as well.

rpone605 wrote:

I think we will be doing the same thing now (hoarding that is).

I have my junkyard contacts on the look out for parts now as well.

Holla at me with anything you need, we've been parting subies and collecting crap to survive so I have alot of things sitting around.  Shoot me a PM about cooling too, aside from busted hoses our low buck cooling was tremendous and should work good in a regular subie application too.

Will do.

Thanks!

I am glad that our gaskets went to great use.  Seeing you take IOE versus us getting a few more laps in was definitely more worth it.  Keep in touch and I wish you all the best for future events.  Once we get into tearing apart our car I will let you know if we need anything.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Top-Fool- … 77?ref=sgm
#34 Save the Tatas Subaru Impreza
2010 Detroit Irony 32nd/Capital Offense 68th/Grand Bull 26th/Rod Blago "FIF"

Were you guys the ones down on the end next to the 45' black trailer?

Eric Subliminal racing #711 e30
11 detroit dnf, 11 autobahn 4th, 12 detroit 2nd, 12 autobahn 1st
Rip #71 crx killed at autobahn 2010. 10 smt pt, 10 bull gp,10 rod b. smashed

That was us.  We had the Enger trailer at our site.

You guys were busting hump on it for sure. I was out driving when u guys came by and got my hoist from a team member, I came by after my stint and the motor was already out. Good effort for sure!

Eric Subliminal racing #711 e30
11 detroit dnf, 11 autobahn 4th, 12 detroit 2nd, 12 autobahn 1st
Rip #71 crx killed at autobahn 2010. 10 smt pt, 10 bull gp,10 rod b. smashed

We were smack dab between you guys and the "Heroic Fix" v8/v6 cougar.  It was great seeing you guys, each at a corner of the car just working, not bitching or arguing to get the car ready, even though the start of the race was imminent.  That really put the whole "Lemons Thing" in perspective for me.

The "mini Jay" was hilarious.  When Jay's megaphone was broken, I suggested he borrow yours. 

Stopped by early Sunday AM and Eric was doing a "Zen and the art of motorcycle repair" type deal, scraping old head gasket material.  We talked about the almost correct head gaskets and how he was going to modify them.  Later, while I was babying the T bird around the track, the wartburg passed by a few times and looked great. 

Seeing you guys, the cougar, The tiny Fiat 128, and finally Speedy's T bird out were probably the highlights of the "Lemons Experience" for me.  That and the overall friendliness of every single person I talked to.  At any other track event I can recall, you could count on a group of "douchebags" who were either better than you, or just didn't really want to be bothered to talk about their car or setup.

I look forward to seeing you folks at any event we may both be attending.

Best of luck at GRM.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

I think this is only the second time or so I'm posting here so I'll re-introduce myself ... I'm Jeff from misfit toys/MiniJay. 

I have a long thank you on the Babe Rally board that I won't cross post but I want to add to Jim's message a big thanks for those of us who have never had a real "race" experience, but have been doing the crap car thing for a while we really felt at home with the Lemons peeps.  The on track thing was new for half our team and the driving wasn't the bumper car crash-o-ramma I expected. I felt I was always given the room on track to make my mistakes and faster cars (and faster drivers) were always patient for me to re-gather and give the point around.  I loved finding the car doing a speed close to mine and jockeying for position around the track without fear of looking too stupid/inexperienced.  Big thanks for my more experienced teammates (sonic and mental) for the on track and in pits coaching. 

I think the Lemons and Babe Rally people are brothers/sisters at heart, different but cut from the same cloth.  People have been commenting on our cavalier attitude when things needed to get done and the "leave no man behind" concept, but I saw that in a lot of peoples pits.  Especially Speedycop, those fiat X19 guys, the Malibu team next to us and everyone else I have to ask for a 14mm 12 point a/2 inch socket.  I think the only difference between the helping spirit at Babe and Lemons is the need to ask.

At the Babe Rally people will fix your car while you sleep or are not paying attention (only slightly exaggerated),  while at Lemons you actually need to ask for help but you will always receive.  Maybe it was just us infecting the rest of the pits, but we were constantly offered help, and parts (and beer)!

Honestly our relaxed demeanor comes from years of the Babe rally.  It's easy to be calm when you aren't on the side of a highway, hundreds of miles from your hotel reservation (and the party), you have AC and lunch in the RV 30 feet away, more tools and parts then you could have ever fit in your trunk, a working non crappy parts chaser, and most importantly, you have full confidence in your crew because they have never let you down even though they had all the conditions described above (well accept for the year someone decided to bring a Fiero, that didn’t make it home).

Needless to say, we plan on being back … the Wartburg on the other hand may not … It may not be very ‘spirit of the event’ in a few months.

Jeff
Three Pedal Mafia
Ombudsman - Coalition of Alternate Breakfast Meats

The best part about the Wartburg dudes was when Jim explained why they helped the Fiat kids, "A Fiat 128? That's like a Yugo, my area of expertise."

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

It was neat to see a 128 on track.  I'd still LOVE to see a souped up 850 out there.  I had one that was nothing but problems, but I loved it.  Maybe someday I'll do one...

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

I had to register on the forums in order to give my huge thanks to Misfit Toys and the rest of the teams that helped our team and our little Fiat 128 get in the race. Without Misfit Toys and their crack team of welders and fabricators we would have been stuck on the sidelines. You guys were really our saviors on the tech inspection and great friends to us throughout the race. Even after putting in a good 5 hours of work putting together our fuel cell cage you all gave us free burgers, chicken, and drinks.

Our team had a blast at the race; it was honestly the most fun I've ever had. Even with 99% of the field passing us, it was an incredible experience to race a 1400 pound fiat made of mostly rust around an awesome track. The Organizer's Choice award really made our weekend on top of that - we will definitely be back again, hopefully with redone suspension.

Thanks again to all the teams, especially Misfit Toys, the 24 hours of Lemons organizers for putting on such an awesome race, and to my teammates, especially Justin, who was the only one on our team who had even a slightest idea of what we were doing. You Lemons guys are the nicest group of people I've ever met.

-Walker Schutze, the big guy who had the hood fly away

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

We were smack dab between you guys and the "Heroic Fix" v8/v6 cougar.  It was great seeing you guys, each at a corner of the car just working, not bitching or arguing to get the car ready, even though the start of the race was imminent.  That really put the whole "Lemons Thing" in perspective for me.

These are the things I love to hear most.  Our crew has slowly grown over the years but every addition is someone who just "gets it" or they dont get invited back.  We've been very lucky to stumble onto a team dynmaic which just plain works.  We have fun, and as long as we're having fun the rest will fall into place.

MTR started with 4 strangers piling into a van for BABE rally and by the end we were lifelong friends.  Each new person that has joined us has not been "an old friend" who someone brought along but rather just someone new we've met and said, yep, they get it.

MajorCL wrote:

As a driver of the Fiat 128 team, I wanted to take a minute to say thank you to all of your tremendous help and support (and beer and food) throughout the course of the weekend.
As Walker mentioned, it is the most fun that any of us have ever had, and we have already started planning things that we want to do to the Fiat (unless it explodes, I don't plan on racing any other car).  The list does include buying a welder and learning to use it, haha.
Some things that come to mind are definitely the suspension (we snapped part of our rear sway bar on the second day), and I'm trying to come up with some way to make us a little quicker on the straights.
Again, thank you for everything and we really look forward to seeing you all out there again.
-Charlie (tall dude with the beard)

I emailed Walker but feel free to contact me, that thing is the predecessor to the Yugo so I have a few low buck tricks I can help you with.  Never did catch where you are located but if you are near philly Im just on the other side of the bridge and would welcome that little beast in my shop for some creative tuning wink

But not for the next few weeks, right Jim? Remember, you promised her... wink

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Speedycop wrote:

But not for the next few weeks, right Jim? Remember, you promised her... wink

well lets just say that I may have alot of free time soon...

Whoever said racin aint cheap don't know the half of it

You will work it out.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Speedycop wrote:

You will work it out.

indeed

25 (edited by decafe 2010-06-24 04:30 AM)

jim and  team  great   job   that  has  to be  the  fasted  wartburg   ever . who  would  have  thought   you  could improve  on that  origanal  design.   we  still  havnt  unloaded the trailer  yet .  already  planning  the  next  car .  give  me  a call or  a pm   when  your ready  to  pulll that  motor  and illl drag it  up  to my  garage    take care   andrew