Topic: Insurance Auctions?

If I can get access to insurance auctions is that a decent place to get a Lemons car?  Never been to one so I don't know.

----------------------------------------------
Team Pimpalicous
94 Cadillac Seville SLS DOA 10 Capital Offense
87 325 Convertible

Re: Insurance Auctions?

One of my teammates and I have an export business that requires a vehicle dealer license, and we were wondering about scoring cars at auction, too. All sorts of stuff shows up there. And even more interesting stuff at the heavy equipment auctions...

The Spanish Armada
'51 DeSoto, car #1539: Featuring authentic 16th century engineering

Just remember, you may get a Ferrari for $500, but it will be scrutinized by subjective eyes.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

We make use of these auctions

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

Lemonade Time Racing wrote:

Just remember, you may get a Ferrari for $500, but it will be scrutinized by subjective eyes.

Point me to the $500 Ferraris, I want one.   Just imaging, Ferariata

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

Slay all the purists: Ferrari-ero. Make the first Ferrari with a Fiero body kit.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

All I've ever seen around here require a valid dealer's license.  I went to one as an agent of a dealership and was surprised at the lack of deals.  These know what's what, generally speaking.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

We have a Texas salvage dealers license. Its required here to buy any non regular title vehicle. I find the real deals are for "certificate of destruction " or "Non repairable" ( Kills Vin #) titles.
We bought the Mini cooper like this. However even with this type of vehicle you are still bidding against parts salvage operators.
You can find a relatively late model for a good price but you are going to have to sell off parts o be Lemons legal. ( Then the judges don't believe you anyway). I don't see too many really cheap cars. Why would anyone insure a 1000$ car?
We belong to Coparts and IAA, there are yearly fees associated with both.
I spent a year looking for a Ferrari, its not going to happen. The badly damaged ones get bought and exported. There must be a way around the salvage title when its imported overseas because the prices they fetch are too high to make sense. A328 roller no engine or transmission went for $4k in houston a couple of months back.

Unless you have access through a dealer friend IMHO you are better off with craigs list.

best regards
Paul

Copart has recently opened to the public - they have good cars for us.

Rich DeFrancisco
Chump Change Racing aka "The Bridesmaids"
1986 BMW 535im
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic … 8418604559

Copart has recently opened to the public - they have good cars for us.

They do have this list that'll give you guidelines by state.  But, unless you can find a way to fit into a business category, those brokers are enough to put you out of budget.  They do let you buy salvaged motorcycles in most states, which is great news for wacky micro-car swaps!

Plain Jane '86 BMW 535i - Current
RIP People's Elbowed Protege - 2010