Topic: Rollbar padding

I was looking at the tech rules for the rollbar padding.    Can anyone make a suggestion as to what padding  I should use?  Does it need to be SFI padding.  I could use some suggestions on what people are using and a good source whould be helpful.

Re: Rollbar padding

This is what we used for our padding and we passed tech at Gingerman.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/KIR-99001/

Pendejo - There is no such thing as a racing budget and if you can't afford to set it on fire and watch it burn while drinking a beer then don't race it.

+1 on the above.  SFI is not required.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

IIRC, it must be "high density padding" .. i.e. - no pool noodles.

We used the stuff listed above for most of the cage padding, and the $20/piece stuff for places near the head.

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

RobL wrote:

Technically that is not the high-density stuff required per the rules, though I've seen TONS of cars using that, and even more using pool noodles that still passed tech. The HD stuff is pretty hard and is designed for helmet contact only...not you othere body parts that may bang against it.

We used the $20/stick SFI-rated stuff for the head contact areas and the cheaper/softer stuff everywhere else.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

6 (edited by PapaJohn55 2010-05-19 07:34 AM)

VKZ24 wrote:

We used the $20/stick SFI-rated stuff for the head contact areas and the cheaper/softer stuff everywhere else.

Following up on this, the SFI-rated stuff is designed to work in conjunction with your helmet to minimize the potential for head injuries.  While hard, the resulting head decelleration profile is "better" than slamming your helmet into the softer stuff (with the really HARD bar behind it).

VKZ24's approach is exactly how we outfitted our Miata where helmet to cage contact is pretty likely.

-- John Robertson / Schumacher Taxi Service

Know more about a Craptation, coROLLa and BMW than I ever wanted to!
Stafford 08, CMP Spring/Fall 09, Stafford 09, Nelson Ledges 09, CMP Winter 10, VIR Chump 10, IOE Winning Craptation CMP Spring 2010, and lots more

YesIFit wrote:

IIRC, it must be "high density padding" .. i.e. - no pool noodles.

We used the stuff listed above for most of the cage padding, and the $20/piece stuff for places near the head.

Dang because dollar general has all sorts of 3ft pool noodles for a dollar LOL

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave
Scuderia Ignorante // Modena / Dearborn / Aichi Prefecture / West Texas

Not like it hasn't been done before ... smile

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

VKZ24 wrote:
RobL wrote:

Technically that is not the high-density stuff required per the rules, though I've seen TONS of cars using that, and even more using pool noodles that still passed tech. The HD stuff is pretty hard and is designed for helmet contact only...not you othere body parts that may bang against it.

+1  This is exactly what we have.  I think we have about 2-3 $20/stick SFI pads and the rest is the $2/stick stuff from Summit Racing.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Jeff G 78 wrote:
VKZ24 wrote:
RobL wrote:

+1  This is exactly what we have.  I think we have about 2-3 $20/stick SFI pads and the rest is the $2/stick stuff from Summit Racing.

Us as well, good stuff around the noodle, cheap stuff everywhere else.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

Thank you all for the advice today I ordered a combination of the Kirkey and the High density SFI foam to cover the head areas.   

John

Hmm, I think we spent way too much on that high density stuff, bummer.  The rules make it sound like you need high density everywhere the driver could touch it, not just the helmet.

Good to know for next time though.

I used the SFI padding everywhere.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Kirkey/570/99011/10002/-1

$18/stick, why save $60 and risk getting serious burns from the (highly combustible) non-SFI padding?  False economy in my book.  I would rather have ramen for dinner a couple times than scrimp on safety equipment.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

Mmmmm... Ramen.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Which beer goes best with Ramen??

250 GTO

PBR

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

SFI padding is recommended but not required--any rollbar padding sold through a speed shop is acceptable. We're trying to stay away from pool noodles (nice!), but also stuff like Home Depot pipe insulation (which we do see from time to time).

Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:

SFI padding is recommended but not required--any rollbar padding sold through a speed shop is acceptable. We're trying to stay away from pool noodles (nice!), but also stuff like Home Depot pipe insulation (which we do see from time to time).

I wouldn't lay that blanket statement out there Nick. We passed tech fine three times with speedshop foam padding, and then tech told us we had to have the hard padding and ours was not acceptable. The only hard padding we have ever found was also SFI approved.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

RobL wrote:

PBR

Lately I've been drinking Berger.  From cincy, OH, and cheaper than PBR.

I prefer a good pale ale, but $6/12-pack is hard to argue with.  Damn soda is over $5/12-pack when it's not on sale.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

any rollbar padding sold through a speed shop is acceptable

Our speed shop sells pool noodles.  Just sayin.  I believe the pink and grey were a good color combination though.

Plain Jane '86 BMW 535i - Current
RIP People's Elbowed Protege - 2010

21 (edited by JWR991 2010-06-29 07:00 PM)

Thanks for all the positive input  However we ended up not buying any pool noodles  we did however use basic padding from Summit racing for areas less likely to be contacted.   For the contact area we bought fire resistant high density foam from Dynamic systems. I read about them on one of the posts.  http://www.sunmatecushions.com/index.php We are also using it to pad our different size drivers.

Dynamic also uses this padding in ejection seats

John
www.bucketlistracing.org