Topic: Pedal boxes/assemblies: Driver comfort/safety (exempt) or budget item?

I need to relocate the pedals for center steering and do so safely (the reason for moving to center steering is also for safety). I'm not very good at this fabrication stuff. I could get away with modifying the stock assembly, but I'd hate to fail tech because of unsafe driver controls.

I'm thinking of biting the bullet and getting some reverse swing pedals, but to make it work I'd also need to use some alternative master cylinders.

I know a brake master cylinder is exempt as part of brakes, so I guess I could also put the brake pedal outside of my budgeting. But what about clutch pedal and clutch master?

Your thoughts?

Any suggestions of where to get cost-effective reverse swing (hanging) pedals?

Re: Pedal boxes/assemblies: Driver comfort/safety (exempt) or budget item?

I'm sorry, but how is center steering a safety item?

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

I'd agree with you, but given that his cars are usually competing on Index more than anything else, he might actually have a safety reason. Like because Trabant built the driver's seat outside the frame of the car or something...

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

4 (edited by EyeMWing 2010-07-05 10:04 AM)

Spank wrote:

Any suggestions of where to get cost-effective reverse swing (hanging) pedals?

A junkyard. Like 15 bucks. (oh, and a day of prying crap out of an unfamiliar car with only the tools you could carry in the least comfortable environment imaginable)

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

Shoot me an email, I have just the thing you are looking for left over from the Wartburg build.  CNC hanging clutch pedal and master cylinder.  You'll have to get your own slave cylinder as I've still used that on the warburg.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

6 (edited by Spank 2010-07-05 01:17 PM)

Our car is the automotive equivalent of this:

http://www.tunicaqueen.com/airboat1.jpg

Considering the sChitroen now has a big f-ing dent in the door from driving slowly on the outside line while someone else drove too quickly on the inside line,

http://hubgarage.s3.amazonaws.com/photos/2753682/DSC00026sm.jpg

and then at Thunderhill I went door-to-door with a Crown Vic that was pulling on track and NOT holding the outside line after exiting pit lane, I think it's pretty fair statement to say I am making this Apollo 18 car center steering for safety reasons so there's more than just 1.75" of tubing between the driver and the next person who can't control a car (which could end up being the driver of the Apollo 18 car).

If that same innocuous impact that occurred with the sChitroen were to happen on the Apollo 18 car and it weren't center steering, an ambulance would be involved.

Volvo 240s have a nice pedal panel with top-hinged pedals- whole thing is on a removable steel plate. Easy to pull.