Topic: Using parts from a dead LeMon

In our last race (North Dallas Hooptie) our despised #23 Saab died an uninspired death.  After 11 laps she came in without a drop of oil in the engine.  By the time we found the leak, stuck some bubble gum on it and sent her back out the engine had seized.  Surprising that a Saab didn't last isn't it?

We haven't gotten a residual value on it from Jay yet, but I assume he would give us a pretty darn low number.  If he were to give us a $0 value can we then use parts off of it on the new car for free?  The old car is a Saab and the new one is a Toyota so I doubt there's a lot we can use right off, but there's probably the potential to Frankenstein some pieces together.

Anyone know the rule on that?

Re: Using parts from a dead LeMon

We gutted a fox body ford to build a fox body ford.  So all we had to worry about was the purchase price of the replacement car ($0). 

I still don't understand everyones hang up on their budget.  If you spend more than $500 either lie to the judges or take your laps.  Are you really trying to win?

Property Devaluation Racing

Drivers wanted for TX races

We took a dead MGB with a .06 residual value and added a 5lb hammer over and over and over again.

Then took the blown motor and replaced it with another free blown motor, and ...

wait, ok don't take my advice. But me thinks you are giving up on the Saaaaaab story too soon. Saab > Toyota.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

btp76 wrote:

I still don't understand everyones hang up on their budget.  If you spend more than $500 either lie to the judges or take your laps.  Are you really trying to win?

I've just always thought of BS laps as a sort of Scarlet Letter used to identify the cheaters worthy of derision and scorn from the rest of the Lemons community.  I have no intentions of winning a race on laps or even taking home the IOE honestly, because I'm just not a very good or experienced mechanic.  I'm there to have a good time and drive kinda fastish...sometimes...when the car's not in the pit.  I don't really care about getting BS laps from a functional perspective, I just don't want to be looked down upon as a cheater by the rest of the teams.  Perhaps I'm reading into things too much.  I have a tendency to do that...

"Sparky" Pete wrote:

me thinks you are giving up on the Saaaaaab story too soon. Saab > Toyota.

The Saab was slow, hard to drive, harder to work on, and always broke down.  The tranny was done.  You could get it into 2nd if you really took your time, but reverse didn't exist.  That means we had to push the damn thing out of the paddock after every stop.

Also, the fuel tank and lines were totally botched together.  After taking a look at them again after we got it home they really would have needed to be redone in order to pass tech again.

On the one hand I understand that all the stuff I described is very LeMony in a way, but we were ready for a change.  I know a Toyota Celica Supra is kind of boring, but I think we've got a good theme so I hope we'll still be bringing something to the table.

mikedeck wrote:

I don't really care about getting BS laps from a functional perspective, I just don't want to be looked down upon as a cheater by the rest of the teams.  Perhaps I'm reading into things too much.  I have a tendency to do that...

Don't worry about the cheating thing with either a Saab or a Toyota. Everyone else is either more worried about you thinking THEY are cheating or just don't care.

Unless you show up in a tube frame M-motored BMW, then you get to deal with the flappy lips.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

It's hard as hell to even tell which cars got BS laps (unless it's a crapton of them) - you're only driving around with it taped to your windshield for a minute tops, and what nutter looks at the scoring display during the first hour, when you should be praying for the car to not explode, as opposed to worrying about position.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

mikedeck wrote:

In our last race (North Dallas Hooptie) our despised #23 Saab died an uninspired death.  After 11 laps she came in without a drop of oil in the engine.  By the time we found the leak, stuck some bubble gum on it and sent her back out the engine had seized.  Surprising that a Saab didn't last isn't it?

We haven't gotten a residual value on it from Jay yet, but I assume he would give us a pretty darn low number.  If he were to give us a $0 value can we then use parts off of it on the new car for free?  The old car is a Saab and the new one is a Toyota so I doubt there's a lot we can use right off, but there's probably the potential to Frankenstein some pieces together.

Anyone know the rule on that?

If you are getting a new car, the residual doesn't apply. My advice would be, use your residual to buy another car, and put the drivetrain in the Saab.
The Saab already has a cage & all the other safty stuff.
Sell off all the extra bits from the donor car for Baksheesh money, and offer the carcus to Jay for a People's Curse sacrifice.

You come out with a ballanced checkbook, 0 laps, and a happy Jay. WIN all around.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

P.S. You did email Jay for a residual, right? He doesn't just had them out, ya know.

Jay is awesome at answering emails. I usually get a responce within 24 hours.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Ok, we've already bought our new car.  It's exactly what we're looking for and we love it.  It even runs!  Sort of...But that's ok because we got an extra engine along with the car so with any luck it will run, knock free, before we try to race it.

The Saab is no longer an option.  It's already been cannibalized to the point of no return (which might make a residual impossible to get at this point and this whole discussion moot.)  All I'm trying to figure out is if we could, for example, take the radiator and fuel pump out of the Saab and just charge ourselves the residual for the purposes of the new car.  If not, how much do those pieces "cost" us?

For as many laughs as we got for bringing a Saab, I never expected this much support for trying to revive her.

Those parts are free. As long as a 2JZ-GTE isn't all of a sudden discovered in the trunk.

Haha, no 2JZ-GTE.  The extra engine we got with the car is a NA 7M-GE with a blown head gasket.  I'm not sure if the judges will believe us, but after we told the guy we were doing Lemons he said "Oh, that's cool, I've got another engine on the floor in the shop that y'all can have if you can get it out of here.  I don't have time to deal with it and it's just getting in my way."  He put it on the bill of sale for us so hopefully with the appropriate baksheesh the high court will dispense with its incredulity.

you guys just gave me an awesome idea involving a saaab! hheheehehehehe *runs away withi his new secret plan*

mikedeck wrote:

All I'm trying to figure out is if we could, for example, take the radiator and fuel pump out of the Saab and just charge ourselves the residual for the purposes of the new car.  If not, how much do those pieces "cost" us.

I wouldn't worry about "costing" those parts. First off, the Celica/Supra isn't going to receive a ton of scrutiny anyway. Secondly, when the judges hear that you cannibalized parts off a Saab to use on a Toyota, I suspect they will applaud the new Nippo-Swedish alliance and will tell you to get out of there right after they write a zero on your tech sheet.

If you really want to astound, pull the center-console ignition from the Saab and use it on the Toyota. smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:

If you really want to astound, pull the center-console ignition from the Saab and use it on the Toyota. smile

HA! That would be pretty sweet.  I was planning on rigging up a push button start, but the center console ignition is so much more LeMony.

16 (edited by Mulry 2010-07-09 08:53 AM)

mikedeck wrote:

HA! That would be pretty sweet.  I was planning on rigging up a push button start, but the center console ignition is so much more LeMony.

Exactly! Just make sure to epoxy the lock in the key cylinder or zip-tie it nearby so that somebody doesn't accidentally make off with the key during a pit stop or overnight and then forget where they put it. smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Just break the key off in the ignition, that way you never have to remember where you put it!

Rednektified Racing - Team Captain
#101 Moby Slick
2010: Yee-Haw "Most horrible yank tank" (DNF)

Key?  What key?  We just torqued the lock till the tumblers broke and now we use a screwdriver.

mikedeck wrote:

Key?  What key?  We just torqued the lock till the tumblers broke and now we use a screwdriver.

Didn't get a key.
I had to rip the dash out anyway, so I took the ignition lock off, but left the ignition switch. How does someone have a title, but not a key?

mikedeck wrote:

The Saab was slow, hard to drive, harder to work on, and always broke down.  The tranny was done.  You could get it into 2nd if you really took your time, but reverse didn't exist.  That means we had to push the damn thing out of the paddock after every stop.

Take the SAAB body and running gear. Add a KA24 (Nissan 240SX) engine and trans, or a similar Toyota  4 banger, or maybe even a I6 or V6 from somewhere. Or.... maybe a V8!!!
Weld in new mounts fabbed from excess SAAB and JY parts. Get your driveshaft remade to adapt between the new trans and the SAAB Dif. Get some springs from a GMC van or pickup or some other big heavy car and put them on the struts (this thing have struts?), after cutting them to get the ride height down to a cool semi low rider level.

Then drive and win!!!

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

mackwagon wrote:
mikedeck wrote:

Take the SAAB body and running gear. Add a KA24 (Nissan 240SX) engine and trans, or a similar Toyota  4 banger, or maybe even a I6 or V6 from somewhere. Or.... maybe a V8!!!
Weld in new mounts fabbed from excess SAAB and JY parts. Get your driveshaft remade to adapt between the new trans and the SAAB Dif. Get some springs from a GMC van or pickup or some other big heavy car and put them on the struts (this thing have struts?), after cutting them to get the ride height down to a cool semi low rider level.

Then drive and win!!!

I would guess that this is a FWD Saab.

Again, the Saab is dead, but it was FWD, and no it did not have struts.

Maybe when the new car dies we'll try something crazy, but for now we really don't have the tools or, more importantly, the expertise to drop a completely unrelated power plant into a Saab chassis.

You want us to mount an internal combustion engine into a car using mounts we fabricate and weld ourselves?  You have no idea how ridiculous that is.