Topic: Removing Nasty Carpet Adhesive

Just started working on our new car this weekend and the first order of business was to gut the interior.  Got all the interior trim out without much problem, but when we pulled the carpet up the padding basically disintegrated.  Half of it came with the carpet and the other half remained stuck to the floor boards along with this thick black adhesive sheet.

Unfortunately we can't peel the adhesive off because it just breaks up as soon as you start scraping at the corners.  We tried using some paint thinner and a metal scraper to pull it up, but even with that it's still being stubborn.  Has anyone ever encountered this stuff before?  What other solvents do you think we should try, or is there a different method we should try?

TIA

Re: Removing Nasty Carpet Adhesive

If it is an adhesive, try acetone or adhesive remover.

Stupid question: is it the sound deadening insulation? If so, get dry ice, break it into many small pieces and spread it out over the floor. After a beer, scrape it up with a putty knife.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Lemonade Time Racing wrote:

Stupid question: is it the sound deadening insulation? If so, get dry ice, break it into many small pieces and spread it out over the floor. After a beer, scrape it up with a putty knife.

Not a stupid question.  I think that's what it might be now that you mention it.  This is my first Lemons build and I've never torn the carpet out of a car before.  It's basically a thin black sheet that's adhered directly to the floor boards.  It's very soft and very sticky, of course the car had been baking in the Texas sun all day before we got to it, so I can see where freezing it would help.

Thanks for the advice!

Yeah, that's the sound deadening. What he said works great.

It also burns like mad if you want to go that route. smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

We actually discussed just throwing a match in there when it was all covered with paint thinner.  But we figured that might be detrimental to other critical components.  Of course the firewall works both ways right?

It will burn out... Expect Captain Planet to kick the shit out of you for doing it. Wear a gas mask. You may also burn your wiring if you get too carried away.

Just buy dry ice at the grocery store. It should come in sealed bags. Pound the bag with a hammer, put on your welding gloves and spread it all over. Dime size ice is ideal.

That is a good 10 pounds you don't need in the car.

What type of car is it?

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Yeah, dry ice is definitely the way to go.  We were kidding about lighting the thing on fire, it was just hot nasty work and we were getting frustrated.  We are pretty stupid and short sighted sometimes, but not quite that stupid.

The car is an '84 Toyota Celica Supra.  It was in the ideal condition for Lemons car.  All the mechanical stuff is in pretty good shape.  But the paint and body are pretty beat up, there are no door handles or locks, and the interior was absolutely disgusting.  I honestly have no idea how someone could drive a car in this condition.  The previous owner apparently had a white/yellow dog of some sort and there was hair EVERYWHERE.  The backseat was full of trash, and the whole thing smelled like mildew and dog crap.

Apparently it had been sitting in the parking lot of this mechanic's shop for about 90 days.  A guy dropped it off to have something fixed, but then never paid or called or anything and the city was threatening to fine the shop owner if he didn't clear out some of the parking lot.

I think the guy thought it would only be good as a parts car, but we went to check it out and the car started when we put a fresh battery in but had a really bad knock.  Amazingly the guy had another old Supra engine with a blown head gasket on his shop floor that he didn't have time to deal with so he threw it into the deal as long as we didn't need a title.  So now we just have to replace the head gasket on this other motor and swap them out.

We'll see y'all in New Orleans.

mikedeck wrote:

The backseat was full of trash, and the whole thing smelled like mildew and dog crap.

I was down in New Orleans last weekend for my mother-in-law's 60th birthday party and took some time away from the family on Friday to drop in on a BMW shop that's right around the corner from where they live. I've been going down there for 15 years now but whenever I'm in town, the shop's closed for the holidays (which is when I'm there).

As with so many shops, there was a treasure trove of abandoned vehicles, including a really amusing e23 733i. The son of the owner of the shop said something about that he's thinking about restoring that one (ha! why not restore either of the e24 M6's or the 2002tii or the 3.0cs or the Bavaria first?) and as those words were coming out of his mouth, I said "that's a lot of turd on the package shelf." Something larger than a raccoon has been making that e23 its personal litterbox for quite awhile. I suspect that's not what the folks in Munich intended for their pride and joy.

This visit defined for me the difference in attitude between me and my wife when it comes to cars. I see all those decrepit, run down, rusting-out hulks and see only potential, and when she sees them, she just sees junk.

Man, I want that Batmobile. So sweet, even with the rusting body.

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

9 (edited by BoB 2010-07-06 01:48 PM)

To get rid of the stuff stuck to the floors on mine I just dumped a bunch of goo gone, let it sit for a few minutes and it came up easy plus the car now smells like oranges which may also help your mildew and dog crap odor, or be added to the smell and then the inside would smell like mildewed oranges and dog crap.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

BoB wrote:

...or be added to the smell and then the inside would smell like mildewed oranges and dog crap.

It would still be an improvement.

I must say though, tearing out the carpet, seats and headliner went a long way to eliminating the majority of the odor.

Mulry wrote:

I was down in New Orleans last weekend for my mother-in-law's 60th birthday party and took some time away from the family on Friday to drop in on a BMW shop that's right around the corner from where they live. I've been going down there for 15 years now but whenever I'm in town, the shop's closed for the holidays (which is when I'm there).

I assume it's not "Bimmers Clinic" out in Metairie, since I haven't seen anything laying around, but with all the causeway construction it's hard to tell.

BimmerWerks in Elmwood maybe? I'd be curious to see what's there...not that I can drag anything else home right now...

Whenever we go to the Elmwood Palace Theatres I stare across the fence at the "holding area" for Gambino's Foreign Car Service. I think last time they had a ton of MG's and at least one Rolls going back to the earth...though I think they finally sold the Rolls on Ebay awhile back.

There's a sad tale in every service yard, tow yard, junk yard, and the back of every flatbed full of crushed & rusty metal...

-=Tom

-=HFC Tom

I've done the dry-ice trick. Works great.

13 (edited by Mulry 2010-07-06 03:00 PM)

pennintj wrote:

I assume it's not "Bimmers Clinic" out in Metairie, since I haven't seen anything laying around, but with all the causeway construction it's hard to tell.

BimmerWerks in Elmwood maybe? I'd be curious to see what's there...not that I can drag anything else home right now...

Whenever we go to the Elmwood Palace Theatres I stare across the fence at the "holding area" for Gambino's Foreign Car Service. I think last time they had a ton of MG's and at least one Rolls going back to the earth...though I think they finally sold the Rolls on Ebay awhile back.

There's a sad tale in every service yard, tow yard, junk yard, and the back of every flatbed full of crushed & rusty metal...

-=Tom

Yeah, it was Bimmerwerks off of Dickory. They've got 2 e24 M6's sitting right in front of the front door to the shop right now, one in blue and one in red. The Bavaria and the 3.0CS are in the row behind that and to the right (as you're looking at the shop).

They also had a e38 750iL in the shop for detailing and cleanup. It belongs to a customer from Mississippi (I think?) who has had it sitting in his garage for a few years now not driving it. It's a twin-turbo Dinan 750iL. Yawn. smile

The owner's son is driving a 318ti but is thinking that maybe, just maybe, what he should do is swap out the S50 that he's got in it now for a spare V-12 that they have sitting in the back of the shop. Oh to be 17 and have options like that...

Mulry wrote:

Always wanted one too. Not necessarily a batmobile, but just a nice e9 in fjord or polaris. IMHO, it's one of the most beautiful cars ever built.

She will be mine. Oh, yes - she will be mine.

http://www.38csi.com/images/exterior/exterior0.jpg

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

Find your dad's (or other suitable old guy's) old crappy wood chisel, 1" works pretty good. sharpen slightly with a file. Wrap handle end with a piece of cloth (to cushion the palm of your hand). Use the ramped side down and slide it under the black sound deadening. You can scrape pretty aggressively after you get the hang of it, and black stuff will be flying all over the place. The older and harder it is, the faster and cleaner this works. Also colder is better, its harder and more brittle. You should be able to do a car in a couple hours, with no chemicals needed.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

I used straight naptha, came right out.

Rich DeFrancisco
Chump Change Racing aka "The Bridesmaids"
1986 BMW 535im
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic … 8418604559

Crud Thug:

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w279/Evilgeniusracing/100_3632.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w279/Evilgeniusracing/100_3631.jpg

This thing is pretty bad-ass, we've got two of them and they shred sound deadening and seam sealer.   The Dry-Ice method works well for large flat areas, cool it and then hit the panel with a hammer... it shatters the frozen tar and off it comes....

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

YesIFit wrote:
Mulry wrote:

Always wanted one too. Not necessarily a batmobile, but just a nice e9 in fjord or polaris. IMHO, it's one of the most beautiful cars ever built.

She will be mine. Oh, yes - she will be mine.

http://www.38csi.com/images/exterior/exterior0.jpg

For some reason that's so reminiscent of the Z8 and I'd never put those two together in that way before. I seriously covet a Z8.

19 (edited by GnomeFabTech 2010-07-07 07:35 PM)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzv38W1D … r_embedded

Use a HF "Multi Tool".

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

We picked up one of those detail sanders at Harbor Freight (Where else?), the one that comes with attachments such as a triangular sanding pad, and scraper-like tools. The scraper tool worked great on the sticky tar. Most of the tar in our car was hard and chipped off with a putty knife. For the softer stuff we used the sander and it was like giving the car a buzz cut, followed by an acetone/Brakeclean scrub.

21 (edited by mikedeck 2010-07-30 02:48 PM)

Finally got a chance to work on the car again last night and the dry ice trick worked like a charm.  Thanks a million, John, for the idea.  It saved us hours of futile scraping a scrubbing.

In case anyone finds this post in the future here are a few things I learned in the process:

* The more dry ice you have, the better.  I was able to get some spots covered very thoroughly but kind of ran out on others.  The places where I had the most ice went the fastest and easiest.

* Breaking the ice up is key.  I had the best luck breaking it into large chunks first and distributing that over the floor, then took a hammer and crushed everything further.  The best results seemed to come when I smashed everything down into a powder and spread a thin layer across the whole section.

* Wear eye protection.  Once its frozen the material will break into very hard, very sharp pieces and when you're hitting it with a hammer it will fly at you fast enough to do some damage.