Topic: Are spacers safe?

So I'm dumb and bought rims that have the wrong offset for our car (86 325es). They have an offset of 35mm and we need 25mm. Is it safe to use a 10mm spacer? It's a pita to find 4x100 rims, so I'd rather just get spacers than attempt to find rims again.

Thanks!

Hella Shitty Racing Goin' for Broken '10, Arse-Sweat '10, Arse-Freeze '10, Sears Pointless '11, Skankaway '11, Arse-Freeze '11, Arse-Sweat '12, Sears Pointless '13, Arse-Sweat '13, Northworst '13, Vodden '13, Pointless '14, Button Turrible '14, Arse-Freeze 2014,  Sears Pointless 2015, Arse Sweat 2015

Re: Are spacers safe?

We've used them for 3 races now without any problems. You should be fine with 10mm. Make sure the spacers are hub centric.

Spacers are fine on an E30 as long as they are good ones, like H&R.  Don't get any that are cast or without hubcenter shoulders.  Also, you will have to run longer lugs or convert to studs.

Rich DeFrancisco
Chump Change Racing aka "The Bridesmaids"
1986 BMW 535im
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic … 8418604559

quality spacers are fine.....just be sure to account for them in your budget!!!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Don't they count as wheels/tires/brakes in the rules?

Rich DeFrancisco
Chump Change Racing aka "The Bridesmaids"
1986 BMW 535im
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic … 8418604559

Modelwerks wrote:

I'm not 100% sure.....I could see it go either way...need an official answer?

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

icemang17 wrote:
Modelwerks wrote:

I'm not 100% sure.....I could see it go either way...need an official answer?

I'd like to kno this for wheel adaptes too. They will space the wheels out an inch.

Thanks for the advice! I bought some spacers.

Hella Shitty Racing Goin' for Broken '10, Arse-Sweat '10, Arse-Freeze '10, Sears Pointless '11, Skankaway '11, Arse-Freeze '11, Arse-Sweat '12, Sears Pointless '13, Arse-Sweat '13, Northworst '13, Vodden '13, Pointless '14, Button Turrible '14, Arse-Freeze 2014,  Sears Pointless 2015, Arse Sweat 2015

Spacers are NOT part of the budget. If its legal to buy a $4000 set of wheels, then $200 set of spacers/adapters is fully legit. If its outboard of the brake rotor, its not part of the budget. Unless you're running a JAAAAGGGGG. wink

Just another crappy BMW and moto-powered MR2: http://www.facebook.com/BlackIronRacing
Gnome money, Gnome problems. (RIP) http://www.facebook.com/MetroGnomeRacing

10 (edited by Mulry 2010-07-19 06:49 AM)

I dunno, I could make the argument the other way pretty easily if I were a judge. It would go something like this:

We want this race to be as safe as reasonably possible. Broken wheels/tires/brakes are very likely to cause immediate, unavoidable, and unanticipated extreme mayhem and/or unsafe conditions both for the car that is broken and for the cars around it on the track. Because we do not want you skimping on the very parts that most determine your safety (and, more importantly, your safety to others) on the track, pure safety items like wheels, tires, and brakes are free, even though we recognize that there may be a secondary performance benefit from fresh tires, wide wheels, and carbon-carbon brakes.

While an argument that 362-way adjustable Penske remote reservoir shocks (for example) are a safety modification because they aid in better car control thus leading to less mayhem on the track, they are primarily a performance modification with a secondary safety benefit. Similarly, although a 600 HP engine swap straight from Hendrick Motorsports may make you more safe by aiding you to avoid other cars and make your passes more swiftly, it is also primarily a performance modification. Performance modifications are not free.

Which category do wheel spacers fall into: one that if you fail to have them (like working brakes) makes you a danger to everyone else on the track, or one that if you fail to have them it might make you less fast on the track? If it's the latter, then I'd suggest that it's a performance modification and needs to be included in your budget. YMMV. Good luck.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

11 (edited by magnusracing 2010-07-19 08:36 AM)

gielamonster wrote:

Spacers are NOT part of the budget. If its legal to buy a $4000 set of wheels, then $200 set of spacers/adapters is fully legit. If its outboard of the brake rotor, its not part of the budget. Unless you're running a JAAAAGGGGG. wink

Yes, I agree that spacers shouldn't be included but who knows where they fall officially. I doubt the judges would give you any problems.

I wish I had a $4000 set of wheels for the Jag... then they might weigh less than 40lbs each! The wheels WERE custom made... but by a place that makes steel wheels for obsolete industrial vehicles. They are about $200 each, very heavy, very strong, and not quite round smile  The 315/35/-17 NT-05 tires (which are around $195 each my cost) seem to be holding up very well - about 20 hours of track time and they still have more than half of their life left in them. Suprising since the Jag, AFTER being stripped down, still weighs over 3600lbs dry. In fact... the Jag keeps telling me the Metronome looks like a tasty meal but it just can't seem to run it down...

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice

The JAAAGGGG reference was more pointed toward the inboard brakes. Unfortunately I didn't see the shaguar on track when I was piloting the gnome and jeepney last weekend. I was looking forward to it.

Mulry, my point is that if its 100% legal to spend infinity dollars on a set of forged race wheels custom machined to your exact pattern/offset/width/color/smell/taste/shoe size, then a ~$200 set of adapters is a non-issue. As for the safety argument, spacer/adapters come stock on some poortcha 9-11's. Non studded spacers (with appropriately longer studs/bolts) and offset style adapters are used at tracks around the world every day. Sure you can buy cheapo chinese pot metal parts that will be a safety risk. But the same can be said for ANYTHING on these piles of crap that have no business being on the track in the first place.

Of course I'll finish with a disclaimer, I don't make the rules, only read them with the intent of bending or intentionally breaking them from time to time. That being said, I've run offset pattern adapters to put S2000 wheels on my 740 before. Nobody, including the BS judges, said anything. Don't ask, don't tell. Forgiveness > permission. Yadda yadda.

Just another crappy BMW and moto-powered MR2: http://www.facebook.com/BlackIronRacing
Gnome money, Gnome problems. (RIP) http://www.facebook.com/MetroGnomeRacing

13 (edited by Mulry 2010-07-19 10:39 AM)

Don't get me wrong, they might be legal/free, and I don't really see them as being unsafe -- just that their primary purpose isn't typically to enhance safety, unlike brakes.

I don't really care either way -- I doubt that a Lemons race is going to be won on the difference between spacers and no-spacers. But it can certainly be lost if the judges don't like it and assess penalty laps, and I think that's the analysis that has to be done on any part that makes one ask himself "am I cheaty with this part if I don't list it on the budget?"

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:

Don't get me wrong, they might be legal/free, and I don't really see them as being unsafe -- just that their primary purpose isn't typically to enhance safety, unlike brakes.

I don't really care either way -- I doubt that a Lemons race is going to be won on the difference between spacers and no-spacers. But it can certainly be lost if the judges don't like it and assess penalty laps, and I think that's the analysis that has to be done on any part that makes one ask himself "am I cheaty with this part if I don't list it on the budget?"

I dunno, I really don't see spacers as necessarily either. In fact, they may be more in the Lemons spirit of "making it work" because the majority of us are getting their wheels as take-offs from another brand/make of car in the pull-n-pay yards instead of calling up Enkei for some 16.5lb Superleggera IIIs with Chro-Moly composite construction and guaranteed "fit" racing wheels. My call is just get a decent pair and don't make a huge ordeal about it. unfortunately, I'd say making a thread probably goes into the "big deal" category smile

15 (edited by magnusracing 2010-07-19 12:19 PM)

gielamonster wrote:

The JAAAGGGG reference was more pointed toward the inboard brakes. Unfortunately I didn't see the shaguar on track when I was piloting the gnome and jeepney last weekend. I was looking forward to it.

Ahhh... that makes sense. Yes, unfortunately we broke our
Shaguar about three hours into the race. I think it droped a valve this time... and maybe blew the head gasket again... you know... typical Jag stuff.

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice

magnusracing wrote:
gielamonster wrote:

Ahhh... that makes sense. Yes, unfortunately we broke our
Shaguar about three hours into the race. I think it droped a valve this time... and maybe blew the head gasket again... you know... typical Jag stuff.

now's a good time to invest in BP stock since It's probably in the basement about now. after all, you need that kind of ownership in an oil company for an XJ12. ever think of making your own HGs from sheets of pure copper and locktite the headbolts down? smile

I honestly think our vic had the most rubber on the pavement until that jag went 305s all around. damn!