Topic: Will this pass tech? Another cage issue

So the Jetta's floor is recessed below the door sill. We have some 3/8" thick steel plates that we can run across the floor for the main hoop to mount to. It'll be tied to door sill & tunnel with flat stock. Seems to me pic #1 is better than pic #2. We can also fill the gap between the plate & the floor with more steel, but seriously, 3/8" steel is pretty beefy & the places we're welding it to are the stronger parts of the floor...

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/myvwisfast/SANY2985.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/myvwisfast/SANY2987.jpg

Re: Will this pass tech? Another cage issue

BTW, this is for the Denver round this coming weekend, so any quick answers would be great

If there is a gap under it like shown in pic 1 they arent going to go for it.  Needs to be solid on all sides and welded to the floor.  No need to go across the whole floor, just make a good 6x6 section at the base of each leg.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Yeah, you could take that perch that is already welded to the base of your hoop and weld a box underneath it to the floor/firewall/sill, then weld that perch to the top of the box/firewall/sill and you'd be okay.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Word. Thanks for the quick replies. Still need my a-pillar pipes bent & running into SNAFU after Snafu. Anybody got a pipe bender in Denver?

What they said, no gaps underneath.   Also 3/8" steel is a bit thick to be welding to thin sheet metal.    Attach that plate to the floor, and use another plate at 90 degrees on the rocker panel to stiffen it all up.  The strongest part of the car is the rocker, attach to that whenever you can.   

It looks as if you're reusing a cage that was in another car, the road to hell(tech failure) is paved with reused cages...   watch it and ask questions.  You can ask me directly if needed

-John

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

So.

Friday sucked.

Thursday my brother flew in from FL. I picked him up @ the airport after an already full day @ the shop & running all over town getting all our shit together (on 4 hours of sleep).

We went straight back to the shop. Worked all night & all Friday morning with a little help from friends & got the cage done. As we were returning the borrowed MIG welder trying to figure out what was left to do to pass tech & how much time we had to get there, we figured we could probably make it. One of the last things was the battery cutoff switch. While I as @ the hardware store getting grade 8 bolts for the harness, my brother was installing the switch. He dropped the hot lead from the battery onto a steel braided fuel line, sparking & cooking a hole into the line. Considering we still had to install our seat belts & a muffler & now had a fuel leak & nowhere to get the special VW line in 15 minutes, we gave up.

I still feel like puking. So much time, effort, money & favors called in to scramble this thing together...

I missed a lot of prep time from being in the hospital for 2 months+ while my daughter was being born & was only able to get on it for the last 10 days or so. We were so close...

Then tonight, like an idiot, I searched BFE GP on google & saw this:
http://jalopnik.com/5583797/vw+powered- … -gp-lemons

Clearly, we should have gone anyway. I didn't know you could show up to tech unfinished & still get to race. I thought we'd be driving an hour to the track to have them laugh us outta there. I guess the delirium from the lack of sleep got to me.

Now I really feel stupid. I wanna puke again. So fucking lame.

Been there, done that, don't give up! We utterly failed to get our Jag ready for Dallas, so now we're shooting for Omaha - and it looks like we might make it this time! Our cage is our biggest problem also, but our cage builder is planning on coming out and welding it in some time in the next few weeks.

You should have shown up just to see if anyone was short on drivers. Mulry was short in Dallas and a few days before the race he asked if I'd drive on his team - it was a great experience and I learned a lot.

Keep your chin up.

earnhardts revenge! wrote:

Clearly, we should have gone anyway. I didn't know you could show up to tech unfinished & still get to race. I thought we'd be driving an hour to the track to have them laugh us outta there. I guess the delirium from the lack of sleep got to me.

People fail tech and if they can fix the problems can still race - you would have been no different.  Other teams will pull together to make sure that you get your car together. 

I offered to put an entire cage in a car on a Friday when a teams cage builder bailed on them.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

So.

Friday sucked.

Thursday my brother flew in from FL. I picked him up @ the airport after an already full day @ the shop & running all over town getting all our shit together (on 4 hours of sleep).

We went straight back to the shop. Worked all night & all Friday morning with a little help from friends & got the cage done. As we were returning the borrowed MIG welder trying to figure out what was left to do to pass tech & how much time we had to get there, we figured we could probably make it. One of the last things was the battery cutoff switch. While I as @ the hardware store getting grade 8 bolts for the harness, my brother was installing the switch. He dropped the hot lead from the battery onto a steel braided fuel line, sparking & cooking a hole into the line. Considering we still had to install our seat belts & a muffler & now had a fuel leak & nowhere to get the special VW line in 15 minutes, we gave up.

I still feel like puking. So much time, effort, money & favors called in to scramble this thing together...

I missed a lot of prep time from being in the hospital for 2 months+ while my daughter was being born & was only able to get on it for the last 10 days or so. We were so close...

Then tonight, like an idiot, I searched BFE GP on google & saw this:
http://jalopnik.com/5583797/vw+powered- … -gp-lemons

Rob and Erik have already said it, but it needs to be said again. Take Heart! Don't give up! Lemons racing is practically the definition of what you just experienced. Taking an Apocalyptic piece of shit and shoehorning it onto a race track. there are a huge number of cars that run this series that probably shouldn't even be driving on davesfarm, let alone a fully paved and maintained race facility. the race size could be 40 or 140, but chances are your paddock neighbor is just as interested in you running as you are yourself. This is the underlying mission statement for Lemons. It's supposed to bring racing to the common man, and drop that stuffy stigma of other "more professional" race series/organizations that turns away at such plight. So, I understand that it's too late now, but next time you're getting "last-minute wrench-a-thon flu" just keep pounding away at it until it's time to pack it up, then bring whatever you got. You'll be flabbergasted at the amount your resources multiply once you're in the paddock.

I second that emotion. I swear to God that I have had no prouder moment in my entire life than when my team rallied after trying to quit about 4x last November to swap engines in the MR2 in the middle of the race and got it back on track, but what made it just super-cool was how much encouragement we got from all our "competitors." We would be flagging energy-wise and then somebody would come by and just say something like "that's so cool that you guys are doing this, keep it up" and the whole team would just rally. The entire experience really hammered home for me that you are not done until you quit. So just because it didn't work out for you this time doesn't mean that you should quit. Do not quit.

The past is the past and you can't change it anyway, so put it behind you where it belongs and start cranking for the next race. There's always a next race and if you're not ready enough, come anyway and the rest of us will help you get it sorted out.

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Thanks for the encouragement, y'all.

It's just unfortunate that we thought we were following the rules by showing up with a finished product. Trying not to be whiners about this whole thing but the expense both monetarily & physically we endured the past couple weeks would've made even a Navy SEAL whimper a little bit.

Is it even worth asking for any of our fees to be applied toward another race? Or possible late entry into Omaha?

The bitterness in my mouth hasn't gone away yet, so not sure I'd even be up for the 8 hour haul to the other side of the Plains, but I have this turd steaming in my garage now...I should do something with it...

The official word I got from Jay was that he would only pay the fees forward for members of the military who were deployed without notice. Three of the four of us were deployed, but we'd known before we started prepping the car, so we had to suck up our guts and press on. I will say that missing a race is a good motivator to get your team members working on the car.

Is it even worth asking for any of our fees to be applied toward another race? Or possible late entry into Omaha?

It never hurts to ask, the worst thing they can say is No. But I'd bet that (1) you'll not have a lot of luck getting the fees re-purposed (see your acceptance email that stresses that these are entry fees not guaranteed-to-race fees) and (2) you've probably got a good shot at late entry at Omaha given that first-time tracks in parts of the country that Lemons hasn't run in previously are usually the less-entered events and they probably have some room in the field.

Think of the upside: with a smaller entry field, your finishing position is bound to be higher! Go for it!

Yeap we missed our want to be first race at New Orleans this year... everyone was kind of down.
We got back on car and made it to Dallas and had a great time.

250 GTO

So here's what we did as far as the original dilemma posted above:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/myvwisfast/071810033.jpg

boxed & braced & tied to rocker

a couple more pics of the overnighter than went nowhere:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/myvwisfast/071810034.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/myvwisfast/071810035.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/myvwisfast/071810036.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/myvwisfast/071810038.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/myvwisfast/071810039.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/myvwisfast/071810041.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/myvwisfast/071810042.jpg

Sorry to be the bearer of possibly bad news, but I think you might have a big problem with that main hoop for starters. It might just be the photos and the angle from which they were taken, but do the main hoop uprights bend back toward the center of the car? By which I mean are the bases of the uprights where they are welded to the floor/frame narrower than the point at which the harness bar is attached? If so, you might have a problem.  As in "won't pass tech" kind of problem.

My suggestion is that you email John @ Evil Genius Racing (he's been the lead tech guy at many/most of the races this year) in case he's not watching this thread and get his opinion about this and also what you can do to make it work/pass tech. Check the main tech thread/sticky for his email address. If you need to fix it, you need to do it now before you get further along. Good luck.

I'll be interested to read John's input on this cage since our team is in the same boat.  Our car is narrow at the roof and the floor but wide at the top of the door so we have the same shape main hoop.  This looks like a solid cage and I hope there isn't a problem with it.  Once all of the braces are in, door bars installed on both sides, and all of the proper gussets are used, I don't see how it wouldn't pass.

Greg
Team Skid Steer
Bullitt Bobcat 2.0

Mulry wrote:

Sorry to be the bearer of possibly bad news, but I think you might have a big problem with that main hoop for starters. It might just be the photos and the angle from which they were taken, but do the main hoop uprights bend back toward the center of the car? By which I mean are the bases of the uprights where they are welded to the floor/frame narrower than the point at which the harness bar is attached? If so, you might have a problem.  As in "won't pass tech" kind of problem.

My suggestion is that you email John @ Evil Genius Racing (he's been the lead tech guy at many/most of the races this year) in case he's not watching this thread and get his opinion about this and also what you can do to make it work/pass tech. Check the main tech thread/sticky for his email address. If you need to fix it, you need to do it now before you get further along. Good luck.

Pat is correct if you are going by the letter of Law, the main hoop should be designed so that it is measured as close to the full width of the car, following the pillar all the way to the floor. Having the bar extend to the full width of the car and then bringing the base or bottom of the cage back towards the center does create additional vertical stress in a roll over. Horizontal bars will reinforce this situation, and eliminate the stress. In my opinion: you already have one horizontal bar going from the top of the main hoop to the floor, continue with an additional horizontal bar the would extend from the center X to the floor on the drivers side. And as always confirm anything we say with the powers that be Lemons. John would definitely be one of those people.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

Ah,  that John guy, why doesn't he speak up...  Oh... 

Yes, it is better to have the bars as close to 90 degrees as possible.  We don't have a spec on that.  In general the rule is that the main hoop may be bent no more than 200 or 210 degrees, so some tumblehome on the down bars is allowed.    That said, the strongest part of the car in that area is the rocker and it is best to tie the cage into the rocker, either by landing your bar on top of it or right next to it and tying into it with a vertical plate.    The farther you can push the cage out to the edge of the car the safer it is.. 

Bolt in cages have a lot of tumblehome so they can go to the floor, it is not really possible to bolt a cage to the rocker.

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Thanks y'all. I read about all that, too. This was a pre-fab cage from SW Racecars that I bought from another racer. It originally had 3rd & 4th legs coming inboard from the widest part of the main hoop to the floor. We nixed those & added the diagonal. As for the bend in the main hoop, we trusted the roll cage company that builds them for these cars. We can always add bars & gussets, etc to help strengthen, right?

Also, Mr. Genius: what do you think of our mounting, etc. I think it not only looks pretty, but it's rather beefy. I especially like the rear stays & the tower mounting plates.